Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

teamchachi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 19, 2004
Has anybody used any of the after-market power adapters available for the 12" Powerbooks?

One of my kids tripped over the cord and the cable is coming out of the plug. It now works "intermittently".

I would just order a new Apple adapter but they are expensive! If you could recommend another option I'd be very grateful. :)

Koodauw

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2003
Madison
I would go for the one from Apple. Yes, it is expensive, but do youreally want to risk using an after-market one? I would think if it could fry something very easily. I have seen several after-market cell phones charges that have fried cell phones. One actually melted part of the phone within 10 mins or so. Nokia also had some problems with phones exploding with after-market batteries. I would check eBay or possibly a refurbished one ( do they make those?) if you looking to save a few dollars.

JulesK

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2002
When I asked this question a few months ago...

The answer seemed to be that the 3rd-party items out there aren't all that much cheaper than the Apple version. If you find something equally good but cheaper, do let everyone know!

jtown

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2003
teamchachi said:
Has anybody used any of the after-market power adapters available for the 12" Powerbooks?

One of my kids tripped over the cord and the cable is coming out of the plug. It now works "intermittently".

I would just order a new Apple adapter but they are expensive! If you could recommend another option I'd be very grateful. :)

Thanks to Apple's ridiculously complicated plug and unusually high voltage, you're pretty much stuck with the Apple power supply. They could have put the LED in the computer and provided us with a standard 2-conductor barrel connecter at 12VDC but then they wouldn't have a lock on peripherals. :p The only aftermarket units I've seen are within $10 of Apple's price and don't have the charge indication ring so there really isn't much point in going that route.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
if your book is still covered under apple care you can try and see if they will replace it for free, go to the genius bar at your local applestore, might work...worse case senario is you end up buying a replacement anyways

gwangung

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2003
Well, I'm currently using the MCE adapter at work (available at MacMall for $45). No problems so far (though I don't move it around or such....it just sits there...the one at home is where I move it around, plug/unplug, etc.).

lannanh

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2004
Has anyone used this?

http://shinza.com/product_info.php?products_id=30&osCsid=b7e06a4521e790077e19f78a3ca00bad

I lost that stupid little piece that comes off the brick when you put the extension cord on it and it's really bothering me, so I'm thinking about buying a whole new adaptor. I saw this one, and it's a little cheaper than the apple version and a little smaller. Now I'm getting scared it's gonna fry my machine. Any thoughts?

BTW, does anyone know if it's possible to just get that stupid little two prong adaptor with out getting the whole new adaprtor?

Thanks,
Hilary

t300

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2004
I've only used third party power adapters for the car and plane. The Kensington one, that is. Is it good? Well...it's a power adapter. It did it's job, I was happy. FIN.

Rod Rod

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2003
Las Vegas, NV
lannanh said:
BTW, does anyone know if it's possible to just get that stupid little two prong adaptor with out getting the whole new adaprtor?

You could buy the World Travel Adapter Kit (under iPod accessories). It's $35 though. It includes the corner plug piece for outlets in North America, Japan, China, the UK, continental Europe, Korea, Australia and Hong Kong. For $35 more you can get a complete, new power adapter.

The iPod plug adapters will work with your iBook or PowerBook.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
teamchachi said:

Call them over the phone and tell them that your cord is coming loose. You don't really have to tell them why, but just that is has gotten loose and the wire is exposed. They may replace it for you for free.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.