Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wb123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 7, 2013
Gentlemen

I have a spot of trouble finding a replacement top case for the following machine:

Model Name: MacBook
Model Identifier: MacBook4,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.1 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 3 MB
Memory: 2 GB
Bus Speed: 800 MHz
Boot ROM Version: MB41.00C1.B00
SMC Version (system): 1.31f1
Serial Number (system): W8813GEB0P0
Hardware UUID: E5222612-9C51-5699-BAE2-F4186F934190
Sudden Motion Sensor:
State: Enabled

(Early 2008)

I have found a number of components where the sellers state they should work where the cable is of a gold colour [link for instance], however on disassembly this device appears to utilise a silver cable.

Does anybody know where I could acquire a suitable top case, or if the occasional debates of intercompatibility on ifixit would support using a brown cable?

http://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/47104/MacBook+Topcase+brown+cable+and+silver+cable+replacement
http://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/9539/MacBook+Top+Case+Compatibility

g4manimac

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2013
Arkansas
The a1181 keyboards are all exchangeable I have worked on 100+ of these macbook and I have switched many keyboards and all MacBooks black or white up until the unibody design was introduced all have interchangeable keyboards.I think the silver on the cable is just a type of foil tape then underneath is kind of a clear idk its been a while but I do remember that the foil covered ones were the early models then later on they switched to the golden cable...

So yes it will fit ,I have personally learned to live with cracked top cases on these MacBooks its just a inevitable design flaw I have only had a handful of unbroken top cases and all eventually got a slight crack somewhere.Now if its just not functioning or you just want a new one I hate to say it but ebay is about all I can think of many of them ship worldwide and the average price I see on them is about $70 for an unused keyboard.

wb123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 7, 2013
The a1181 keyboards are all exchangeable I have worked on 100+ of these macbook and I have switched many keyboards and all MacBooks black or white up until the unibody design was introduced all have interchangeable keyboards.I think the silver on the cable is just a type of foil tape then underneath is kind of a clear idk its been a while but I do remember that the foil covered ones were the early models then later on they switched to the golden cable...

So yes it will fit ,I have personally learned to live with cracked top cases on these MacBooks its just a inevitable design flaw I have only had a handful of unbroken top cases and all eventually got a slight crack somewhere.Now if its just not functioning or you just want a new one I hate to say it but ebay is about all I can think of many of them ship worldwide and the average price I see on them is about $70 for an unused keyboard.

Many thanks.

The keyboard is faulty with the backspace key, 1, q, a, and z not working, oddly however it isn't cracked.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.