Replacing an iPhone 4 - cost?

ndpitch

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 9, 2010
Now that the iPhone 5 is out, and the iPhone 4 is 2 generations behind, does anyone know what Apple will do about replacing a launch day iPhone 4? It is very old and seen better days. I want to keep it and use it as my work phone. Right now it's not being used because I've upgraded to the iPhone 5.

It just has a lot of wear and tear that I don't want to have to deal with. The home button is very iffy, the screen is scratched in places, the camera lens is fogged up, the battery isn't what it once was, etc etc. If I could do a refurb exchange for 100 bucks, or better yet, as a one time courtesy, that would be sweet.

Does Apple have a tier system for the out of warranty replacements?

ref26

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2008
I cracked the screen on my 4 a few months ago and they replaced it for $150, not sure if it's less now that it's third on the tier.

kbt1020

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2010
150. No change. Went there on Saturday trying to replace a broken power button. I was asking if I can even exchange for a 4S with a little more cost. They said no.... sigh

dave006

Contributor
Jul 3, 2008
Just West of East
...Does Apple have a tier system for the out of warranty replacements?
Yes Apple has announced a tiered plan for Out of Warranty replacements.

However the iPhone 4 is still $149 as are the older iPhone models. Only the iPhone 4S and iPhone 5 are more.

iPhone 4S - $199
iPhone 5 - $229

Dave

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
Now that the iPhone 5 is out, and the iPhone 4 is 2 generations behind, does anyone know what Apple will do about replacing a launch day iPhone 4? It is very old and seen better days. I want to keep it and use it as my work phone. Right now it's not being used because I've upgraded to the iPhone 5.

It just has a lot of wear and tear that I don't want to have to deal with. The home button is very iffy, the screen is scratched in places, the camera lens is fogged up, the battery isn't what it once was, etc etc. If I could do a refurb exchange for 100 bucks, or better yet, as a one time courtesy, that would be sweet.

Does Apple have a tier system for the out of warranty replacements?
Yes, Apple will have plenty of 4s in stock. What you'll have to pay is a different question, but regardless, they will be able to replace it.