Replacing damaged body

Jshwon

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 2, 2007
So the unfortunate happened and my iPhone was dropped putting a few nasty scratches on the rim of the body. My question is can a genius replace the chassis or is a new phone required?

Also what would the cost be if I do not have AppleCare +? I've never done this with any of my previous iPhones so it sucks looking at it in this state.

dasx

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2012
Barcelona
For what I've read all they can change you is the screen. You can always call and ask! Also... I've read some posts in here of users who got their phones replaced after dropping them... Can't say that's true but I did read it... worth a try imo. Can't lose anything.

rsxmachine

macrumors 6502a
Dec 19, 2007
So the unfortunate happened and my iPhone was dropped putting a few nasty scratches on the rim of the body. My question is can a genius replace the chassis or is a new phone required?

Also what would the cost be if I do not have AppleCare +? I've never done this with any of my previous iPhones so it sucks looking at it in this state.
You can always tell them the phone came like that. Apple knows the phones are coming out pretty scratched from the factory so they are offering replacements for cosmetic damage. It just comes down to an ethical question.

XboxMySocks

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2009

You cannot do it without AppleCare + unless you're a female and you undo a few buttons at the store:D

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
Get it swapped at the Apple store for $229 and file a claim with your credit card company to get reimbursed up to the price you paid or $229 (whichever is lower) if it offers the 90 day accidental damage warranty.

Jshwon

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 2, 2007
Yeah the scratches are pretty bad so as its pretty obvious it wasn't a factory issue. Besides I've always had better fortune at apple stores just telling the truth. It may be too late to get apple care + since they'd have to examine the phone. So other than that it'll cost $229 to get it replaced?

xAnthony

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2010
Yeah the scratches are pretty bad so as its pretty obvious it wasn't a factory issue. Besides I've always had better fortune at apple stores just telling the truth. It may be too late to get apple care + since they'd have to examine the phone. So other than that it'll cost $229 to get it replaced?
Try buying AppleCare+ over the phone. I heard they don't need to examine the phone and you're just able to purchase it. Not sure if they still do it though... You could always try.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.