Replacing damaged body

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Jshwon, Oct 4, 2012.

1. Jshwon macrumors 6502

Jshwon

So the unfortunate happened and my iPhone was dropped putting a few nasty scratches on the rim of the body. My question is can a genius replace the chassis or is a new phone required?

Also what would the cost be if I do not have AppleCare +? I've never done this with any of my previous iPhones so it sucks looking at it in this state.

2. dasx macrumors 65816

dasx

For what I've read all they can change you is the screen. You can always call and ask! Also... I've read some posts in here of users who got their phones replaced after dropping them... Can't say that's true but I did read it... worth a try imo. Can't lose anything.

3. rsxmachine macrumors 6502

You can always tell them the phone came like that. Apple knows the phones are coming out pretty scratched from the factory so they are offering replacements for cosmetic damage. It just comes down to an ethical question.

4. XboxMySocks macrumors 68020

XboxMySocks

You cannot do it without AppleCare + unless you're a female and you undo a few buttons at the store:D

5. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Get it swapped at the Apple store for $229 and file a claim with your credit card company to get reimbursed up to the price you paid or $229 (whichever is lower) if it offers the 90 day accidental damage warranty.

6. Jshwon thread starter macrumors 6502

Jshwon

Yeah the scratches are pretty bad so as its pretty obvious it wasn't a factory issue. Besides I've always had better fortune at apple stores just telling the truth. It may be too late to get apple care + since they'd have to examine the phone. So other than that it'll cost $229 to get it replaced?

7. xAnthony macrumors 65816

xAnthony

Try buying AppleCare+ over the phone. I heard they don't need to examine the phone and you're just able to purchase it. Not sure if they still do it though... You could always try.

8. MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

And hope you don't get a gay male genius...