Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AVR2

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 16, 2006
The Pioneer DVR-TS08 that shipped with my 2009 Mac mini is kaput. Googling reveals that I can get the same model drive for $40. Will that work, or does it have to be the version with the Apple logo on the sticker and the special Apple firmware, meaning you have to pay a stupid Apple price?

Ruahrc

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
If external optical drives are anything to go by, it doesn't seem to matter. I don't think Apple-installed optical drives have special Apple firmware on them.

Some report better success with using the same brands as Apple does (Matshita, Pioneer, etc) rather than going with some random OEM like Lite-on, but I would like to think that the drivers used for all optical drives are pretty universal at this point.

awer25

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2011
The Pioneer DVR-TS08 that shipped with my 2009 Mac mini is kaput. Googling reveals that I can get the same model drive for $40. Will that work, or does it have to be the version with the Apple logo on the sticker and the special Apple firmware, meaning you have to pay a stupid Apple price?

Standard drives will work fine, especially if it's the same model number. It doesn't matter that it doesn't have the Apple logo.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.