Replacing motherboard of old MB with Uni. graphics card

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by janat, Feb 7, 2009.

?

Vote for the answer in the pole, or post for details

Poll closed Mar 9, 2009.
  1. I think it might work

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. It probably won't work >_>

8 vote(s)
    66.7%
  3. I'm sure it won't work (for specific reason)

2 vote(s)
    16.7%
  4. It's a good idea, I will try it out

1 vote(s)
    8.3%
  5. I'm very sure it will work

1 vote(s)
    8.3%
  1. janat macrumors newbie

I just thought that in general since current white macbook look identical to all previous generations of macbook, it has the same motherboard properties. So the question is, can I replace my 3rd generation MB's motherboard- x3100 graphics- with current mother board that has GeForce 9400m? I checked out ebay, and it has motherboards for MB, but I'm not sure if graphics card is intergrated into motherboard, and thus is sold with motherboard.

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

The GPU is soldered. You can't swap the chip, but the motherboard?

Interesting. I don't see why it wouldn't work. Except that it probably won't.

3. SteveMobs macrumors 6502

SteveMobs

Yes the graphics card is integrated so you won't have a problem with that. But where are you going to find one, are there already Nvidia motherboards on eBay? How much?

4. janat thread starter macrumors newbie

Ebay's price for motherboard

The motherboard is about 200 British pounds or 300 US dollar

5. ThomasJL macrumors 6502a

The latest 10.5.6 build that most people are using is 9G55, but that is NOT the same build of 10.5.6 that comes shipped with the new white Nvidia MacBooks. Even if you were to swap out the motherboards, it would not work without this special build of 10.5.6 (which you can't buy or download anywhere), and even if it did work, there would be glitches.

I"m not 100% sure about what I'm going to write below, so if someone could tell me whether I'm right or wrong, I'd appreciate that...
    As for your motherboard question, the motherboard on the previous generation MacBooks were very different from the current ones... The GPU is not the only difference. The old motherboard was Intel's Santa Rosa motherboard, whereas the new motherboard is made by Nvidia. Is that correct, or not?

6. illegallydead macrumors 6502a

illegallydead

hmmm..... thats very interesting. Keep us posted if you do do this, I would be very interested to see if this works.
    For that $300, I could effectively get another 2-3 years out of my Mb (GMA950 :mad:)

I having a feeling that this could work, seeing as the frame itself hasn't changed, so they should just be putting a new Mobo, same size, shape, etc... I hope :D

7. illegallydead macrumors 6502a

illegallydead

Well.... I have a feeling that since you are more or less replacing EVERYTHING in there by replacing the Mobo, you are effectively transplanting the guts of the new one into the shell of the old one. If what the OP is talking about only includes the mobo, not the CPU, etc., then you might run into problems / more $$$...

But yes, the biggest hurdle would be getting the right build to go with the new guts...

8. Patriks7 macrumors 65816

Patriks7

In theory, this should work no problem. But I bet that the designers at Apple thought about the same thing before you, and did something to prevent it (like the different build). But I think that this could be avoided by getting the OS X DVD from the new MacBooks. Interesting idea, but I don't think it's worth the money unless you are out of you warranty and AppleCare, since after that Apple won't really give a **** about you :p

9. janat thread starter macrumors newbie

It's very unlikely to work

I've done some research, and realized that the ports are formed differently. Differently compared to unibody macbook, so I won't be able to use that faster DDR3 speed. Maybe there is still some hope for white with DDR2, but GeForce 9400M. Ideally it should work, but I doubt I will spend money on new motherboard. Instead I'll buy new macbook. If I change my mind I'll post results.

10. janat thread starter macrumors newbie

I've just realized

I can still use that new motherboard with faster RAM if replace the chassis with the new unibody. That will ensure my success in fitting the new motherboard inside. This way I will still recycle the screen, battery, drive, fan,
    HD, and airport. Maybe as well some other features, but I still don't know how much of computer is intergraded onto the motherboard.

11. crazyxzer0 macrumors 6502

ifixit.com has pictures of the unibody apart. maybe that can help you

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/First-Look/Mac/MacBook-Unibody

12. svndmvn Guest

I doubt it's that easy to find a stripped down unibody, that is screenless, or even the logic board only.
    And at this point it would be more like having a new unibody that has some things missing, than an old one with new parts. You'd of course have to format/re install Mac OS. The Ram would have to be new if not provided with the Unibody. So yeah, the screen would be the only old thing, kinda.

13. Patriks7 macrumors 65816

Patriks7

Oh, I thought you were talking about the new white MacBook. But overall, it's just better to buy a new one, cause if you screw something up, you loose the $$ for the motherboard you paid plus you have to pay 1000$ for a new MacBook.