Report: 90% of bottled water contains plastic

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by obeygiant, Mar 15, 2018.

1. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

link

The World Health Organisation (WHO) has announced a review into the potential risks of plastic in drinking water after a new analysis of some of the world’s most popular bottled water brands found that more than 90% contained tiny pieces of plastic. A previous study also found high levels of microplastics in tap water.

In the new study, analysis of 259 bottles from 19 locations in nine countries across 11 different brands found an average of 325 plastic particles for every litre of water being sold.

Concentrations were as high as 10,000 plastic pieces for every litre of water. Of the 259 bottles tested, only 17 were free of plastics, according to the study.

Scientists based at the State University of New York in Fredonia were commissioned by journalism project Orb Media to analyse the bottled water.

The scientists wrote they had “found roughly twice as many plastic particles within bottled water” compared with their previous study of tap water

According to the new study, the most common type of plastic fragment found was polypropylene – the same type of plastic used to make bottle caps. The bottles analysed were bought in the US, China, Brazil, India, Indonesia, Mexico, Lebanon, Kenya and Thailand.

Scientists used Nile red dye to fluoresce particles in the water – the dye tends to stick to the surface of plastics but not most natural materials.

The study has not been published in a journal and has not been through scientific peer review. Dr Andrew Mayes, a University of East Anglia scientist who developed the Nile red technique, told Orb Media he was “satisfied that it has been applied carefully and appropriately, in a way that I would have done it in my lab”.

The brands Orb Media said it had tested were: Aqua (Danone), Aquafina (PepsiCo), Bisleri (Bisleri International), Dasani (Coca-Cola), Epura (PepsiCo), Evian (Danone), Gerolsteiner (Gerolsteiner Brunnen), Minalba (Grupo Edson Queiroz), Nestlé Pure Life (Nestlé), San Pellegrino (Nestlé) and Wahaha (Hangzhou Wahaha Group).

A World Health Organisation spokesman told the Guardian that although there was not yet any evidence on impacts on human health, it was aware it was an emerging area of concern. The spokesman said the WHO would “review the very scarce available evidence with the objective of identifying evidence gaps, and establishing a research agenda to inform a more thorough risk assessment.”
    Yes I drink at least 3 16 oz bottles of water a day since 2012. I hope I'm not giving myself cancer. :(

2. willmtaylor, Mar 15, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2018

willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Bottled water is incredibly wasteful. Just get a reusable bottle and fill it up. We probably just **** out the plastic pieces anyway.

3. obeygiant thread starter macrumors 68040

obeygiant

I've been really good with recycling the bottles and I do have a refillable bottle. Looks like I'll be using that more.

4. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

My family is fond of Klean Canteen and Nalgeen. Even the kiddos use them daily.

5. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

My wife and I figured we'd save $6/mo+ in bottled water if we got the BPA Free water bottles. My wife ended up getting one of those stainless steel ones for free from her college and uses that now. Like Willmtaylor - nalgeen is what I use.

That and now and then you'd get a water bottle pack that sat out in the sun and has that funny plastic taste. I do miss taking those out of the fridge on a hot day.

Yeah, I've had bottled water for the last 7+ years easy. :(

6. obeygiant thread starter macrumors 68040

obeygiant

I've got the Klean Canteen! Mine hold on 16 oz tho. What do I do? Dump a bottle water into it. lol

7. velocityg4 macrumors 601

velocityg4

It's better than drinking parasite and bacteria ridden river or lake water. You never know if ground water is contaminated. It can test fine one day and be polluted the next. It's likely better than tap water in many areas. Mainly I drink filtered tap water in a stainless steel or glass container. Then again the glass could have a tiny chip. In which case I could end up drinking a small sliver of glass. Which is potentially more dangerous if it gets stuck in my digestive track.

I suppose I could filter my bottled water, distill it into a stainless steel container then run it through a deionization filter into another stainless steel container.

8. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

LOL. Nice! :p
    --- Post Merged, Mar 15, 2018 ---
    I've always heard that the EPA's regulations and restrictions on tap water are more stringent than those put upon bottled water by the FDA.

Here's a good read and some interesting research on the topic:
    https://www.nrdc.org/stories/truth-about-tap

9. velocityg4 macrumors 601

velocityg4

That is just in the US. There are many regions of the world where regulations aren't so strict for tap water. There are also many US cities which use lead water pipes. Which they say is safe. Look how well it worked out for Flint Michigan. Yea, I know the history behind and the mistakes they made when changing water sources. Still it is reason to be a little wary.

My tap water often turns brown. It's a county issue and they have to open the fire hydrants once or twice a year to flush the system. Which is why I use a filter. When it does turn brown my filter gets clogged real quick.

Sometimes you can barely see the brown tint. Usually it is clear. Sometimes it is a deep rust brown. All my pipes are clean and copper. I have to be careful to slowly turn on my garden hose. It gets the full 200PSI from the city. It is before my pressure regulator. If I turn it on two quick. I shock the lines and the water goes brown. Then I have to run my hoses for 45 minutes to flush the city lines. Hoping I don't have to flush the water heater. Which can take hours of flushing.

10. Septembersrain Contributor

Septembersrain

With all the pollutants in the air, all the preservatives in food, and many other things, I'm pretty sure at this point if I'm going to get cancer...

It wouldn't be a surprise at all.

So I'll just keep drinking water from the bottle as I have been.

11. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

I went to water bottles back in the day when they did tests on California tap water and got less that desirable results (high chlorine? - I can't remember, I was a kid). Been drinking bottled since then - making sure to recycle and get my cents back. Target bottled water is fairly cheap too (pack of 32? bottles for $2.99/$3.99). Nothing beats a hot summer like packing those things in a fridge and being able to pop those whenever you want.

Here in the high desert we got hit hard with CA's water conservation efforts because we don't have sewers. My wife and I don't even use 3/10th of the water allotted to us before they start fining so we were good.

The office put in a reverse osmosis so I fill my 2 bottles up with that before I head home - usually lasts the night / morning.

12. Tymmz macrumors 65816

Tymmz

Tap water tastes terrible here in the part of the UK where I live. I will stick to inexpensive bottled water from Aldi, thank you.

13. farmboy macrumors 6502a

farmboy

There is ZERO EVIDENCE (probably aside from Perpetual Hype Meister Dr. Mercola) that such micro particles would cause cancer of any sort in any concentration, much less present a higher risk--higher than what?
    --- Post Merged, Mar 15, 2018 ---
    Don't worry about it. The overall cancer death rates in the US fell by 25% from 1990–2014 (cancer.gov), despite pollution, bad diets, pesticides, adulterated foods...a few atoms of polypropylene in a bottle of water and everything else the alarmists want you to be deathly afraid of. Live your life...but don't eat that yellow snow.

14. obeygiant thread starter macrumors 68040

obeygiant

You could be right but I try to be on the natural side on what I put into my body. Hopefully if there is tiny particles of plastic they'll just pass thru me inertly.

15. madoka macrumors 6502

madoka

It would be nice if the article mentioned the 10% that didn't have plastic in it.

16. AmazingRobie macrumors 6502

AmazingRobie

It's amazing to me that reports like this come out and the reaction from most people is to just shrug their shoulders and say, big deal, I'll continue to do what I've always done, its not as bad as all that.

it's probably not just bottled water and it's probably not just plastic bottles. Sodas, coffees and teas probably also have plastics in them. Not to mention all of the paper containers with plastic screw top lids that most things like soups come in. It's most likely in everything.

When news like this comes out, the bottled water companies should go out of business overnight because consumers refuse to intake harmful materials. Instead, it's no big deal.

You will reap what you sow. Frogs.

Also, I can't wait until the reports come out 10-20 years from now which actually proves Bluetooth and wifi signals cause cancerous tumors with constant, prolonged use. I'll remember to wave as I pass all of you in the hospital on life support. Hahahaha.

17. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Yeah, our tap water is vile too: we filter it and it still tastes disgusting if you boil it more than once in the kettle.

I'd rather risk cancer from the plastic in water bottles than drink the junk Severn Trent calls tap water!

18. rhett7660 macrumors G5

rhett7660

We stopped buying bottled water a while ago. Like others we now use a filter and then refill our water bottles with the filtered water. We have two pitchers of water we rotate through in the fridge. While the tap water isn't too bad here in California, it isn't the best either.

19. Zenithal macrumors 604

People forget that toothpastes from Oral-B/Crest had plastic beads in them several years back before being phased out. As a lifelong Colgate user, that blew my mind more than this.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 23, 2018 ---
    You'll be fine. There's a lot inert materials out there. Though, if I may make a suggestion:

Buy an RO system or have one installed and buy a Nalgene. Made in the US. BPA Free. Under $15 for a practically indestructible water bottle; 32 oz.

20. villicodelirant macrumors 6502

villicodelirant

Uhm, hi, this is a public service announcement: just wanted to remind you that buying bottled water (hauled around on diesel trucks too) amounts to ecocide and is immoral

That's all, please continue.

21. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Immoral?

Then I hope you aren’t buying any imported goods such as food, clothing, machinery, vehicles, etc. or you just may be a murderer too. :confused:

22. Superhai macrumors 6502

Superhai

Actually distilled and other purified water is sometimes more dangerous to your body than unpurifed because the minerals required for the body are removed. It should also be slightly alkaline with pH closer to 8 than 7.

23. chabig macrumors 603

Don’t worry. You’ll get minerals from your food.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 25, 2018 ---
    I assume you’ve never smoked and you don’t drink alcohol?

24. obeygiant thread starter macrumors 68040

obeygiant

I have smoked a cigarette back around 1992, but nothing since then. I do drink alcohol once a month or so. The difference is I'm drinking 1 - 2 liters of water per day.

25. SevenSeas macrumors member

SevenSeas

I have an R/O in the kitchen and will never look back. It tastes great and gets all the municipal flotsam out of the water.