Report: Apple Safari hits 3.55% share in US, Firefox hits 11...

TheMonarch

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2005
Bay Area
Still too low.

I have a theory, I've seen it happen all the time... Its because of the word "Internet" on "Internet Explorer"... I swear. If Firefox was called "Internet firefox" or something similar, I'd grow. I just know it. People really don't know anything about security etc... Just name it something a 5yr old could understand.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
For what its worth, here are the browser stats for the site I manage for my company.

IE 73.95%
Mozilla 5.16%
Safari 3.2%
Netscape 2.2%
Opera 0.42%

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
The Canadian stats are really pretty good - with IE in the 70% range. Once again, more evidence to show that Canada is the better country in north America ;-)

Overall, IE is abismal and really a second rate browser. It absolutely barfs at the CSS Acid Test 2.

1. Microsoft IE - 78.52 %
2. Mozilla Firefox - 16.98 %
3. Apple Safari - 2.05 %
4. Opera - 1.67 %
5. Netscape - 0.68 %

However, the UK ones are crap ; but then I'm not at all surprised.

1. Microsoft IE - 93.37 %
2. Mozilla Firefox - 4.94 %
3. Apple Safari - 0.99 %
4. Opera - 0.39 %
5. Netscape - 0.23 %

SummerBreeze

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2005
Chicago, IL
blaskillet4 said:
Still too low.

I have a theory, I've seen it happen all the time... Its because of the word "Internet" on "Internet Explorer"... I swear. If Firefox was called "Internet firefox" or something similar, I'd grow. I just know it. People really don't know anything about security etc... Just name it something a 5yr old could understand.
I never really thought about that before, but you may be right. When I fix my friends computers for them (getting rid of all their spyware and adware, etc.) I install Firefox as well. They always end up asking me what it is, and I have to explain that it's better than IE and then I take IE off the desktop. People would probably never even realize what firefox was if they just saw it on their computer.

Since everyone is posting stats, here are the ones for my house:

Firefox 50% (two of my roommates)
Safari 25% (me, I now like it a lot more than firefox)
IE 25% (my other roommate, trying to get her to stop using it)

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
3%ish is good cuz how many people use Mac OSX? Still FF should be higher, no one should use IE other then updates

jholzner

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
Champaign, IL
blaskillet4 said:
Still too low.

Well, Safari's is about right since that is about the Macs market share and Safari is ONLY availabe on a Mac. Also, IE ships with every Windows computer. I don't think it has any thing to do with the name. If Firefox was called Internet Firefox it wouldn't matter because you have to know about it and go and download it and install it. Most computer users will just use IE 'cause it's there.

iKnezek

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2005
North Texas
Market Share

If Safari is at 3.55%, what does this mean for Apple's Market Share? I know that, in my family, we use Firefox about half the time and Safari the other half. Also, I'm guessing that some people still use IE for mac, even though it is abysmal (My Dad did up until 6 months ago). :eek:

So, if you figure it out, I would guess that Safari makes up for about half of the browser usage on Macs. If this is true, i means Apple's market share is around 7%.

This could be regarded as good, but I still think it is too low.:(

danielsan26

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2004
For what it's worth, even though I always use safari, I almost always have it set on the Windows MSIE 6.0 user agent under the debug menu just to make sure I'm never told I have an incompatible browser. I'm a sheep in wolves clothes I suppose.

stridey

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2005
Massachusetts, Connecticut
danielsan26 said:
For what it's worth, even though I always use safari, I almost always have it set on the Windows MSIE 6.0 user agent under the debug menu just to make sure I'm never told I have an incompatible browser. I'm a sheep in wolves clothes I suppose.
Oh, don't do that, please. I understand the reason to user-agent spoof, but if sites devs only ever see MSIE in their stats, there's no incentive to make their site more compatible.

kgarner

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2004
Utah
danielsan26 said:
FYI, I encounter very few sites were this is necessary anymore. Unless you have a site that you access all the time where this is a problem it might not be really necessary. As as another poster said, how will the developers know that they need to change if all they see is IE6.

danielsan26

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2004
kgarner said:
FYI, I encounter very few sites were this is necessary anymore. Unless you have a site that you access all the time where this is a problem it might not be really necessary. As as another poster said, how will the developers know that they need to change if all they see is IE6.
Yeah, the thing is, there's a site I have to use ALL the time to check one of my e-mails that works fine with Safari, but "requires" MSIE. Sigh. I agree with your points though I'd switch back and forth if there were a nice button in my toolbar, but I doubt Apple would ever put that in....

Edit: So, in OSX preferences I've tried repeatedly with several different applications to create a keyboard shortcut under keyboard and mouse, but it never gets applied (i.e. it will appear on the list but using the keyboard shortcut does not execute the desired action). I'm sorry if this has been answered elsewhere, but anyone have experience in how to create one of these successfully? That would be a HUGE timesaver for several things in several applications of mine that I do repeatedly with no shortcut, one of them being this user agent thing.

BTW: Being a Texas A&M student, here's an Aggie joke for you....how many Aggies does it take to implement an e-mail system that requires internet explorer?

prostuff1

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2005
Don't step into the kawoosh...
Like someone else said, i think that if Firefox ar Safari had different names they would be recognized easier.

My grandfather recently got a new computer (regretably windows) and i installed firefox on it, and removed IE from the desktop. Well he had no idea waht firefox was even though he is fairly preficient with computers. he just did not know there were other browsers out there and had always used IE. When uneducated people see INTERNET in front of the name they pretty much asume that is what they need to use to get on the internet.

You would not believe how many times i have been asked were the internet browser is in my college engilsh class.

And as for the browser i use... I am almost 100% Camino
Only use firefox and safari on rare instances

outerspaceapple

macrumors regular
May 23, 2004
Minnetonka, MN USA
Here are the stats for my site.

Netscape 61.4 %
IE 30 %
Firefox 0.1 %
Opera 0.1 %
Safari 0.00090842 % (with 3,000 hits exactly)

Who visits my site? almost entirely 13-25 year old trick skiing people (newschoolers.com).

yey for smart, tech savvy, young people!

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
Those are some curious stats.. who still uses netscape nowadays?

outerspaceapple said:
Here are the stats for my site.

Netscape 61.4 %
IE 30 %
Firefox 0.1 %
Opera 0.1 %
Safari 0.00090842 % (with 3,000 hits exactly)

Who visits my site? almost entirely 13-25 year old trick skiing people (newschoolers.com).

yey for smart, tech savvy, young people!

igucl

macrumors 6502a
Oct 11, 2003
generik said:
Those are some curious stats.. who still uses netscape nowadays?
I've seen quite a lot of it, actually. They have a snazzy new version that got a lot of publicity.

TwitchOSX

macrumors 6502
May 2, 2002
Southern Oregon
Lol!

You would not believe how many times i have been asked were the internet browser is in my college engilsh class.
Heh.. that made me laugh. Just cuz you know.

As far as browsers. I usually visit THIS site at work.. well 99.9% of the time with Firefox on windows (only because the window faces way from the door =) ) at work. At home, its all Safari. Do NOT like Firefox for Mac. Opera is OK but it's too bloated. Its got all that other crap in it... but I use that on the PC for email and tell the girls to use that for browsing (so they dont click on my browser and find fark.com and macbytes.com running) so they use that. I very very rarely use IE.. one main factor is that it has no tabs. Even if it did, MS would **** it up somehow and try to do it differently therefore ****ing up the whole simple process of tabs. Many many people do NOT know about tabs. I have to keep telling the ladies at work "do NOT hit the RED BUTTON.. that will close my window with 20 websites open" but they still do it. They are used to the one window one website **** that is 5+ years old. Yea they dont use it much but how much can I ask? I tell them not to.. I show them over and over how to do it right. Just doesnt sink in. Tabs are "new" to the general public. Although.. I would even venture to say "beta" to the general public since IE doesnt have tabs yet (but I heard they are planning on tabs SOMEDAY!).. anywho.. thats my rant.

winmacguy

macrumors 68020
Nov 8, 2003
New Zealand
iKnezek said:
If Safari is at 3.55%, what does this mean for Apple's Market Share? I know that, in my family, we use Firefox about half the time and Safari the other half. Also, I'm guessing that some people still use IE for mac, even though it is abysmal (My Dad did up until 6 months ago). :eek:

So, if you figure it out, I would guess that Safari makes up for about half of the browser usage on Macs. If this is true, i means Apple's market share is around 7%.

This could be regarded as good, but I still think it is too low.:(
There could be a few Mac users who use IE "because its there" I know a lot of our staff at work one Macs use IE, some use FF and and 1 or 2 use Safari. I use FF on my Mac. The website the company uses for business cheifly supports IE because that is what 99% of our customers are using and also because of the extensive use of Java on the site for a lot of the complex functions. I know Apple and Safari can do Java but not the MS version as fluidly as a PC browser does and this is based on the findings of our Java coders (PC based) and our own Mac guys and girls.

I was most pleased to see the Firefox share continuing to increase:)

Daveway

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2004
New Orleans / Lafayette, La
miloblithe said:
What's the spread for MacRumors?
I remember Arn saying it was something like:
50% Safari
30% Firefox
15% Internet Explorer
5% Other

...something like that. I remember there being an astonishing amount of IE visitors.

My site is:
44% Safari
28% Firefox
20% IE
Others

My school's site:
89% IE :rolleyes:
7% Firefox
2% Safari
2% Others

winmacguy

macrumors 68020
Nov 8, 2003
New Zealand
danielsan26 said:
Yeah, the thing is, there's a site I have to use ALL the time to check one of my e-mails that works fine with Safari, but "requires" MSIE. Sigh. I agree with your points though I'd switch back and forth if there were a nice button in my toolbar, but I doubt Apple would ever put that in....

Edit: So, in OSX preferences I've tried repeatedly with several different applications to create a keyboard shortcut under keyboard and mouse, but it never gets applied (i.e. it will appear on the list but using the keyboard shortcut does not execute the desired action). I'm sorry if this has been answered elsewhere, but anyone have experience in how to create one of these successfully? That would be a HUGE timesaver for several things in several applications of mine that I do repeatedly with no shortcut, one of them being this user agent thing.

BTW: Being a Texas A&M student, here's an Aggie joke for you....how many Aggies does it take to implement an e-mail system that requires internet explorer?

Excuse my ignorance but what does A&M standfor?
Possible answer- 1 but he or she has to know what Internet Explorer is;) :D