Report: Former Trump Adviser Gates close to Plea Deal with Mueller

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by GermanSuplex, Feb 15, 2018.

1. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

2. 0007776 Suspended

It may be bad news for Trump, but realistically congress will not impeach him as long as the GOP is in control, and even in the best case scenario the Dems are not likely to get enough votes to remove him in the Senate even after the election.

3. duffman9000 macrumors 68000

duffman9000

Nothing short of murder would cause the GOP to impeach and I doubt even that would cause them to act.

4. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

We've been hearing it's bad news for Trump for years now. Trump's more likely to die of old age than get indicted.

5. samcraig macrumors P6

This is likely more about hanging Manafort out to dry than Trump.

6. GermanSuplex thread starter macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

A year and a half is not “years”. It’s less time than was spent on Hillary’s emails.

7. DearthnVader macrumors 6502a

DearthnVader

More liberals grasping at straws..........

Trump will not be indicted or removed from office. ( Full Stop )

8. samcraig macrumors P6

So you already know the outcome of the entire investigation? Impressive.

9. RichardMZhlubb Contributor

RichardMZhlubb

This is, unfortunately, probably true. I think that, at this point, the best case scenario is to see Trump humiliated while many of his top advisors, including, hopefully Jared, Ivanka, Don Jr. and Eric, all ending up in prison.

It’s not even that long. Mueller was appointed less than nine months ago.

10. 0007776 Suspended

Keep telling yourself that. He may not be removed from office, but once he is voted out he is no longer immune from prosecution. And the GOP isn’t likely to have the votes to change the constitution to allow him to run for more than two terms so even if Russia helps him win a second term he won’t be able to stay in office until he dies of old age like most of the tinpot dictators that he models himself after.

11. GermanSuplex thread starter macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

What straws? Who said Trump would be indicted or removed from office? He’s a historically bad president, if he wants to be a piece of crap for three more years, that has no bearing on this investigation. You may have wanted Hillary “locked up”, I want anyone who committed crimes in Trump’s campaign to face justice. Nobody can say if it’s Trump, his staff or others.

It’s obviously the secretive nature of Murller’s investigation bothers conservatives. Even “Sloppy” Steve is meeting with Mueller. I’m sure he has nothing to say....

12. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

You're right he won't be but that doesn't mean he'll have any political power either

13. DearthnVader macrumors 6502a

DearthnVader

By the powers of the office he holds, he will have political power, don't be foolish.

14. samcraig macrumors P6

Not as much as he would like to have or thinks he has. That's a hard lesson he "learned" in 2017.

15. DearthnVader macrumors 6502a

DearthnVader

Some is better than not having "ANY".

It's the turn of the phase.

Trump doesn't think he is the most powerful man in the world, he knows he is, and so does everyone else. For some, they can't live with the thought of it, but that doesn't change the reality.

Even if the constant compiling and politicking result in what liberals want, a win in the midterms, Trump will still be the most powerful man in the world.

Maybe it's just me, but all the crying and whining, all the blame Russia, and when that doesn't work try and vote shame, is just going to make me go out and pull a straight Republican ticket come Nov.

Just some food for thought, I normally don't vote for either party, nor do I vote in midterms, but hey, if it pisses in liberal Cheerios, I'm all for it. Fore I've come to the understanding that Republicans may not have my best interests in mind, but liberals have none of my interests in mind.

That's just the way the game is now, I can't win, but one side keeps me from losing as much.

16. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

I love conservatives sense of how long an investigation should take.

The Benghazi incident created seven different investigations, and the House Select Committee on Benghazi worked for more than two years, ending on Dec. 6, 2016. This included 33 hearings at a cost of $7 million, and ultimately resulted in an 800-page political document that sought to blame Clinton for the attack and its aftermath.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 16, 2018 ---
    That's literally the reason I'll pull for Dems. Fundamentally, Republicans will not serve my interests, in any shape or form. Except that I've come to this argument not only because I dislike the style of Republicans, but because their "economic" plan is idiotic, their treatment of immigrants is vicious and corrupt, and they're lining the pockets of the wealthy while sending crumbs down to everyone else.

17. samcraig macrumors P6

What a sad post.

18. DearthnVader macrumors 6502a

DearthnVader

I'm making my assertion, you make yours, and we'll see, in the end, who is correct.

We're all just speculating, but I have the courage of my convictions.

19. samcraig macrumors P6

I haven't made any assertions. I am trusting the investigation and will accept its outcome. If you ask me personally, I think Trump and many members of his administration along with his family are shady as you-know-what. Whether or not crimes were committed is up to the courts.

20. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

I tend to think that Trump "will not be indicted or removed from office," not because he's innocent, but because the Republican party has become Trumpism.

I think this is why Wittes and Rauch's essay is so important.

Until the Republican party takes severe losses, it will not stop being beholden to Trump, his weird and racist acolytes, and his dippy kids.

21. DearthnVader macrumors 6502a

DearthnVader

It's a fundamental difference in policies.

Any government will seek to erode the power of most of it's people, to the point that the people rise up and destroy that form of government only to form a new one, that will try and do the same thing.

In the end, the best we can hope for is that we can live by the consent of the governed. You consent to more liberal policies, and I consent to individual rights and a system of individual merit.

22. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Meh, this sounds wise, but it's just an argument for cheap cynicism. And, it's clear to me that eroding civil liberties is Business Number One among the Republican party. You name a restrictive, dangerous policy and there's a bunch of Republicans behind it. (And Democrats, too).

Except for guns, those are sacrosanct.

I don't want a new government. This one has worked longer than any modern government, and I see the ones who want it disrupted happen to be those who will profit from its end.

And, do you really think that we'll get a shiny new democratic republic? Have you been paying attention, at all? Revolutions collapse into anarchy, religious fundamentalism, or kleptocracies.

What we need is to believe in Democracy. And, that means going after people who threaten the right to vote, gerrymander districts to their benefit, and those who try to hide the influence of money in politics. We need transparency and accountability.

This comes in small ways—you want to filibuster, you have to stand there and talk—and big ones: if you don't file your paperwork to the FEC on time, you get heaved off the ballot.

23. DearthnVader, Feb 16, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2018

DearthnVader macrumors 6502a

DearthnVader

So long as we only have a "Republic" a so called representative democracy, too few people will have power over too many. This is just the sort of thing that leads to corruption and the lack of accountability and transparency in government.

The good thing about our system is, we have some individual rights, and a system of checks and balances. The bad thing is we don't have a system where the majority of the voting public can overturn bad law via a popular vote, so long as it doesn't infringe on the rights of law abiding people.

Lots of things need to be done, laws need to change, but the kind of change that needs to be made is not happing anymore, if it ever was. Politicians are vipers and thieves, and we need some peaceful means to route them out.