Report: Mueller warned Manafort to expect an indictment

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MadeTheSwitch, Sep 18, 2017.

1. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Pretty major news tonight.

Remember that raid on Manfort's home awhile back? It was even worse than previously reported. They picked the lock to get in, had been surveilling him for quite some time including with wire taps, and told him they were planning to indict him. Wow.

http://thehill.com/homenews/adminis...eller-warned-manafort-to-expect-an-indictment

2. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Sounds like a rehash of the same story unless there is an actual indictment. If they have the evidence from the raid then lets get to it already.

3. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Sounds more like thug tactics
    Tell him they're going to indict him ? Seriously ?

That's not very professional.

4. MadeTheSwitch thread starter macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

I'm thinking two possibilities. Either some field agent said that as some arrogant cop like thing and got over his skis inappropriately. Or, if it really did come from the top, was a tactic to make him turn and squeal on others.

5. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Or to make him do something stupid like try to destroy evidence/call someone else to destroy evidence. I don't really have a problem with them intimidating him, but they better have something of substance if they are doing it.

6. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

They work on their own timetable. This could be nothing, or wide-reaching. Conducting thorough investigations could help those investigated as much those on the right think it could hurt them. Benghazi dragged on, to Hillary's (legal - not political) benefit, so who's to say the same can't happen here?

7. MadeTheSwitch thread starter macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

It could, if not for the fact we have Trump and company lying about meetings and collusion attempts that are found out about later. Or FBI entering homes and removing potential evidence in the pre dawn hours. I don't think those things happened with Benghazi. This is a whole other ball of yarn well above the Benghazi level.

8. Zenithal macrumors 604

9. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

10. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

This is in reference to Manafort being involved with Ukraine up till 2014, and allegedly a hack. Nothing to do with Trump.

11. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

It's a good thing what I post was about Manafort in a thread about Manafort

12. MadeTheSwitch thread starter macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Oh please. :rolleyes: Like Manafort changed his ways beforehand. I'm pretty sure Trump knew what he was getting when he hired the guy. You ever wonder why so many of Trump's staff have previous connections to Russia?

13. IronWaffle macrumors 6502

IronWaffle

People say he does have a very good brain. He's a businessman. He gets the very best people.

14. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

That's sarcasm right ?

15. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Not really, I don't have a vendetta against Russia though. So far no one has been charged, it's not illegal to have a connection with someone who's Russian.

16. IronWaffle macrumors 6502

IronWaffle

Kidding aside, yes; yes, it is. My mind boggles at reporters that his UN speech today will be "deeply philosophical," a deeply antithetical prospect.

17. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

No there is not but at the same time there is no reason to hide those connections unless you got something to hide. Funny how you keep ignoring that aspect, which is in part if not a larger part of the reason the Russia issue even exists.

18. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Any connection with Russia is painted as a bad connection by the left these days.

19. samcraig macrumors P6

That ignores that fact that one of the reasons that's the perception now is because of how Trump and his colleagues have obfuscated their relationships.

20. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

You're deflecting, you're purposely ignoring the point I made. That being that those in the Trump admin have try to hide those connections. That has nothing to do with the left trying to paint a bad picture of those doing the hiding and EVERYTHING to do with the fact that they tried to hide it.

21. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

I'm really starting to think that Manafort, like Flynn, were Russian agents. Trump, OTOH, is the stupid patsy he appears to be. I think in the end he will have preferred if he had an active role in everything, rather than having been played.

22. samcraig macrumors P6

Russia won't sink Trump. Perjury if he testifies will.

23. duffman9000 macrumors 68000

duffman9000

Maybe worse than a patsy. Does he recall anything he says? Like asking someone to not say untrue things, but he somehow forgets all the untruthful things he has said over the years.

24. samcraig macrumors P6

He could very well be the type to just say - get it done, don't care how.

25. jerwin macrumors 68020

here's a bit of what Lawfare had to say about that.

and something from Slate, back in the Bush era.

It's not unprecedented or rare, and tactics that are encouraged by the US Attorney's manual can't really be described as unprofessional. Whether it serves the due process interests of targets is another story.