Report of an explosion at Ariana Grande concert in Manchester

MadeTheSwitch

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2009
Was the concert still going on after the explosion happened?
Concert had already had the encore, lights were already on, and people were already leaving.

The sad part is, I don't know how you protect against an attack like this. No matter how far you push security out, at some point you will be outside the perimeter of a concert venue, theme park, airport, sporting event, play, etc. It's impossible to secure everything in a big modern city at the same time. You'd have to wall off the whole city and even then someone could sneak something in a perimeter that large.

Reactions: jkcerda

bradl

macrumors 68040
Jun 16, 2008
Islam isn't a race.
[doublepost=1495505471][/doublepost]

Islam is the driver of their murder. We don't even know that this was the case of Islamic terrorists yet though so I don't like to speculate, simply pointed out that it's more likely than the IRA.
You don't know that.

I know it may be hard to next to impossible for you, but it would serve you and your mis preconceptions much more justice to reserve judgment until the facts come out. Until then, you are being no different than those on Twitter or Facebook.

BL.

ThisBougieLife

macrumors 68000
Jan 21, 2016
SF Bay Area, California
Concert had already had the encore, lights were already on, and people were already leaving.

The sad part is, I don't know how you protect against an attack like this. No matter how far you push security out, at some point you will be outside the perimeter of a concert venue, theme park, airport, sporting event, play, etc. It's impossible to secure everything in a big modern city at the same time. You'd have to wall off the whole city and even then someone could sneak something in a perimeter that large.
Those are all just band-aid solutions anyway. It's a social change that would be the real solution, not more walls and barriers and security. Unfortunately it's easier said than done.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Thomas Veil

macrumors 68020
Feb 14, 2004
OBJECTIVE reality
I have to say, if the bomber was hoping for a panicky stampede, he didn't get it. Video of the evacuation looks fast but as orderly as one could hope for. Well done, Britons.

MSNBC at one point said police believe they've found the body of the suicide bomber.

Maybe it's just my mind trying to make sense of all this, but first thing that came to mind is, if the explosion was big enough to kill 19 people...how much of the bomber could be left?

EDIT: They seem to be back pedaling on that headline...

Reactions: Eraserhead

DrewDaHilp1

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2009
All Your Memes Are Belong to US
What kind of parent drops their 9 year old children off at a concert ?

I mean good grief.

that ticks me off.
Where is that coming from? Hypothetical or IRL? If IRL I guess they could have dropped them off with the intent of meeting up with a family friend.

Supposed video inside when the bomb went off(nothing graphic)
[doublepost=1495507052][/doublepost]
I have to say, if the bomber was hoping for a panicky stampede, he didn't get it. Video of the evacuation looks fast but as orderly as one could hope for. Well done, Britons.

MSNBC at one point said police believe they've found the body of the suicide bomber.

Maybe it's just my mind trying to make sense of all this, but first thing that came to mind is, if the explosion was big enough to kill 19 people...how much of the bomber could be left?
Suicides vests have a tendency of saving the head.

Peace

macrumors Core
Apr 1, 2005
Space--The ONLY Frontier
Where is that coming from? Hypothetical or IRL? If IRL I guess they could have dropped them off with the intent of meeting up with a family friend.

Supposed video inside when the bomb went off(nothing graphic)
I'm watching CNN and several of their british team say some parents dropped their children off to come back after the show and pick them up.

They said some children left a few minutes early to meet them outside and that is where the guy blew himself up at.

Reactions: DrewDaHilp1

jkcerda

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2013
Criminal Mexi Midget
well yes cause your so full of irony.
Never change buddy
[doublepost=1495507151][/doublepost]
I'm watching CNN and several of their british team say some parents dropped their children off to come back after the show and pick them up.

They said some children left a few minutes early to meet them outside and that is where the guy blew himself up at.
Different cultures. Not something we can do here really .

DrewDaHilp1

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2009
All Your Memes Are Belong to US

Ah okay. 9 is a bit young to be dropped off. I think I was about 12 when I was allowed to take a bus and go to the movies with friends.

Reactions: jkcerda

Zenithal

macrumors G3
Sep 10, 2009
I could make a joke about queuing, but the British have learned from past experience that stampeding gets more people maimed or killed. The Hillsborough disaster is all too recent in the minds of some.

Huntn

macrumors demi-god
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Last edited:
Reactions: pdqgp and jkcerda

kobalap

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2009
Whatever the cause it always saddens me that a cheerful event becomes a tragedy :(
[doublepost=1495496160][/doublepost]

Gosh :(
Given that its Ariana Grande, I imagine that most of the victims are going to be young/very young people. So sad.

kobalap

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2009
Time to turn Raqqa into a parking lot.
Even if could exterminate all of the inhabitants of ISIS held territory, aside the fact there would undoubtedly be all kinds of innocent collateral casualties, you would be barely making a dent in the population of Islamic terrorists.

There are over a billion muslims in the world. If only 1% had extreme views, that would be 10 million people. And somehow, I suspect there are way more people than 1% of people (including muslims) that have extreme/radical views.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
You know I'm not a fan of Grande but I do know musicians and I'm guessing she feels really bad about this.

Probably cancel a few shows.
Reports say she has suspended the remainder of her tour indefinitely.