Report of Crucial Memory crashing Yosemite. Anyone successfully upgraded?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by NJRonbo, Oct 22, 2014.

1. NJRonbo macrumors 68000

2. xgman macrumors 601

xgman

Seems like a coincidence. Likely either some bad sticks or a coincidental Yosemite install/hardware error. RMA the sticks and try again or try a new clean YOS install first would be my advice.

3. kendrickhphoto macrumors member

I had that same exact memory in my Late 2013 on Yosemite and it ran fine.

4. RyanJWilliams macrumors newbie

Bad RAM sounds likely. Failing RAM can occur due to old age, mishandling, or manufacturing defects. However, it doesn't very often completely fail — it'll usually just zip out and cause catastrophic errors at really inopportune moments, like when doing something intensive. I've had RAM just throw Windows into a blue screen at what seemed like random.

5. Georgio macrumors 6502

Georgio

I've always used Crucial memory in my Macs and never had a problem, though I do tend to sling out the Apple memory which is usually Samsung and just fill everything up with one brand of memory.
    Mixing and matching different brand memory even if the same spec. is just asking for trouble in my opinion.
    Memory is cheap, it's a 'crucial' part of the machine, so just replace it all (see what I did there). ;)

6. RyanJWilliams macrumors newbie

Seems more like a monumental waste of money to me considering you're already paying a premium for what's in there, but each to their own. Mixing RAM isn't a problem as long as you put matching sticks in the correct slots.

7. kendrickhphoto macrumors member

In terms of the base 8 GB that comes in the system it is 4 GB x 2 that is no up charge.

If you wanted to upgrade to 32 GB they all have to be replaced by 8 GB x 4 and you can't use the 4 GB x 2 that comes in there. Currently the 16 GB Crucial kit is $136.

If you upgraded to 16 GB from Apple it is $200 + $136 = $336.
    If you just buy 32 GB from Crucial it is $272.

8. Georgio macrumors 6502

Georgio

Not really, it's not like I throw the stock sticks away, I usually sell on EBay to off-set the cost of maxing out the crucial RAM.
    As I said, I know there shouldn't be a problem with mixing banks of matching RAM, but I just feel happier with all the memory matching, it's an old PC building habit of mine.

9. jeffjak25 macrumors member

jeffjak25

I am using crucial ram in my new 5k iMac from my 2012 iMac with no problems.