Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Report: Super-Lightweight 12-inch MacBook Powered By Apple Silicon to Launch This Year

Z3man

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2012
UK
I was very disappointed when this didn't happen.

But after experiencing Big Sur i am not bothered now as i wouldn't buy one anyway now.

Going to stick with my 2015 Macbook running Catalina.

Big Sur is embarrassing, imagine buying a new Macbook Pro for £2000 and it turning up with Big Sur installed, Apple should be ashamed of themselves. They should sell Big Sur off to Fisher Price.

Reactions: trifero
Comment

johannnn

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2009
Sweden
Big Sur is embarrassing, imagine buying a new Macbook Pro for £2000 and it turning up with Big Sur installed, Apple should be ashamed of themselves. They should sell Big Sur off to Fisher Price.
Lol? I really like Big Sur on my M1 Air.

Comment

ghanwani

macrumors 68020
Dec 8, 2008
so what happened to this.
Doesn’t look like it’s going to happen and that’s a bummer. I didn’t think it had a high probability of happening because it would have needed to accommodate the new keyboard and a new camera, s and this cycle seemed more about updates to the internals only.

Comment

trifero

macrumors 65816
May 21, 2009
I was very disappointed when this didn't happen.

But after experiencing Big Sur i am not bothered now as i wouldn't buy one anyway now.

Going to stick with my 2015 Macbook running Catalina.

It´s a ridiculous aspect for a serious OS.

Comment

supertiffany

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2019
this 12 inch macbook form factor should be the new Macbook Air, with slimmer bezels they can squeeze 13 inch

the current 13 inch Macbook Air, should be the new Macbook Pro, with slimmer bezels they can squeeze 14 inch

Comment

AppliedMicro

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2008
this cycle seemed more about updates to the internals only.
I don‘t think a 12“ is very likely, and I very much doubt they‘d revive the exact 12“ form factor.

But a smaller, more lightweight version might be in the cards when they are going to redesign the MacBook Air.

Comment

DocNo

macrumors regular
Feb 20, 2011
You're not going to disprove that easily when producing a Mac that there isn't a current Intel equivalent to compare it to.
M1 Single core performance spanks all but the latest Ryzen CPUs that are in the 50 watt range - all while using 10 watts.

But sure, Apple hasn't unleashed anything special here 🙃

Fine - there aren't direct comparisons across the board. I look forward to seeing the mental gymnastics from the usual suspects when the machines with actual desktop chips come out next year. Especially if they release the rumored xMac/1 slot mini (I'm not holding my breath but it would be glorious).

An Mx Mac with a slot running the latest AMD graphics card - I might stop caring about having a separate Windows gaming machine. If I need to dual boot for games, Linux is finally starting to look far more viable after seeing reviews of the latest AMD cards under Linux. I'm not running out and changing anything right now, but in six months or so I was thinking of doing a round of upgrades to my gaming machine. It would be awesome if I could just direct that into a new desktop Mac instead.

Watching forehead veins of the "PC Master Race" denizens explode would be fun too :)

Might have to wait the full two years for that. Who knows. Even if it doesn't happen, still kicks my Mac computing into the stratosphere and may finally light a fire under the rest of the industry agin to get out of their least common denominator rut; especially with Apple dramatically raising the floor.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.