Report: Troubling texts at Va. Islamic school

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by spaceboots06, Jul 14, 2009.

1. spaceboots06 macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

More at http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25106145/

Just a couple facts I gathered while watching the news
    -The Valedictorian of '93 (I think it was '93) is in prison for trying to assassinate Bush.
    -Israel is not on their maps.
    -In 9th grade the "students" are taught how to properly punish someone- i.e. where to cut someone's hand or foot off when said person commits a crime.
    -The principle was arrested in the past for not reporting child abuse when a five year old girl went to him for help. He brought the girl back home and told the father to set her straight.

This place should be closed down!

2. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

ridiculous.
    another reason why teaching should be done in public schools without any religious crap pumped into it

3. r6girl Administrator/Editor

r6girl

Staff Member

Given the nature of this thread and the type of discussion that will likely ensue, I've moved it to the Politics, Religion, and Social Issues forum.

4. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

I agree with Don't Panic. Religious schools are dangerous to the student and to society. If religious fanatics feel their children need to be brainwashed with their religion of the day, then they can do it at home or outside of school. Forcing their children to grow up to be freaks is not the answer.

5. Surely Guest

Surely

^^^^I went to a Jewish/Hebrew school up to the 8th grade, and I turned out just fine.
    I'm not a crazy religious extremist. Actually, I'm quite secular (Oy vey!).

Religious schools just need to be monitored and regulated so that extremism isn't taught to innocent children.

6. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

Yeah, because those private Catholic schools are just pumping out crazy religious fanatics. Those nuns are telling kids that they need to start another crusade. Seriously, how do people come up with stuff like this?

And as to public schools, they're just great. Lower GPAs, and SAT/ACT scores, then those darn private schools.

Oh, I forgot, most of them aren't unionized. The horror.

Anyways, this school needs to be shut down, and any other school that says that encourages Sharia law needs to be shut down.

Don

7. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

That is the whole idea of private religious schools. To indoctrinate children whist sheltering them from alternate views. And it works.

The fact that parents are willing to fork out $$$ to do so and in the process attain better grades for their children by no means justifies rreligious isolation by any sect.

8. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

It has nothing to do with that. I USED to go to a catholic school (5th to 8th grade), and their were Jewish kids that went to the school, because of the better education. There were a few baptists there too. Come to think of it, I would say that only 50% of the kids were Catholic.

It has nothing to do with isolation from other view points (most of the time), but more to so with getting a better education for your child.

Don

9. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

So there was no catholic religious education at your school?

10. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

There was, but they still have to follow state guidelines, when it comes to teaching. We still learned about other religious view points, and they stayed away from issues like abortion, homosexuality, and things like that, because they recognized that there are people with many different view points in the school.

Don

11. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Of course there was. And it has no place in schools. It's there to indoctrinate.

Through the eyes of cathol.

Or alternatively because these weren't consistent with catholic teaching.

12. Surely Guest

Surely

Just wanted to address that one point.

You seem to be implying that better grades are automatic and paid for by parents of children attending religious schools. In my experience, the school I went to was much more challenging than the public school some of my friends went to. In fact, when I switched out of the private school and into public school in grade 8, it was way easier. I didn't have to work as hard- I wasn't challeged as much. The workload was lighter.
    To generalize that grades are bought is just inaccurate.

13. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

What about non-religious private schools?

14. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Not at all. Better grades are in part an outcome of teaching talent and resources. Both of which are achieved with money which the majority (if not all) private schools have in abundance over public schools. However good grades at private school are not guaranteed by any means as I'm sure everyone can attest anecdotally.

I agree.

15. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

Not really. Public schools tend to have more money, but they are much less efficient than private schools. Private schools only have the money generated from their tuition, fees, etc. Public schools can lobby their friendly, local legislature with the rallying cry "But, it's for the CHILDREN!" and get more money. In most states, K-12 education is the last thing to be cut in times of crisis. I won't even get into the federal funding.

Of course, that federal funding comes at a price, though things like No Child Left Behind. How inefficient are public schools? In my state, for example, almost 60% of the state budget is spent on education, yet we remain near the bottom in education rankings, mostly due to terribly inefficient management of schools. I have no reason to think other states are any different. They just tend to have more money to throw at the problem.

My experience with Catholic schools is similar to Dmac77. There were kids from every religion in the Catholic school in my hometown. I'm pretty sure most of them didn't get indoctrinated and convert to Catholicism.

Anyway, back to the subject at hand. This school should be shut down, but I doubt that would do much good. There would be another opened up to take its place elsewhere.

16. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Disgusting. Once again, the ugly side of religion surfaces.

Who can afford those?

17. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I went to a public school and turned out fine. It was an excellent school and better than many private schools in the area. Just because the public schools up by you may be crappy doesn't mean all of them are.

I wouldn't send my kids to a private school, it's a huge waste of money. I'd rather use that money to live out in the suburbs were public schools tend to be just as good as private ones.

18. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I did too. My school was, and still is excellent.

19. Wotan31 macrumors 6502

Of course. You weren't taught to observe the barbaric and disgusting Sharia Law that is the basis of many Islamic schools.

I agree with OP that place should absolutely be closed down. Problem is the lawmakers only see the $$$. That school is funded by the Saudi Government. VA lawmakers only see the Millions of $$ being poured into their state economy by the Saudi's, creating construction jobs to build the place, etc.

ALL schools, public or private should have their curriculum closely monitored to keep this kind of crap out. :mad:

20. Wotan31 macrumors 6502

It has nothing to do with "Religious" schools. I went to a Catholic High School. And I'm not even Catholic! They didn't try and brainwash me, convert me, or any other nonsense like that.

This has to do with Islamic schools, specifically those that teach Sharia Law. No other Religious schools or colleges teach you to chop off limbs as punishment. No other Religious schools teach you that Israel does not exist. Heck, under Sharia Law, women are considered property that can be bought sold and traded. Women are not allowed to drive a car or vote or go to school. If a women is raped in Saudia Arabia, SHE is tried and found guilty - it's HER fault for putting herself in that situation!

Sharia Law is pure evil and any school that preaches it should be shut down and the proprietors arrested.

21. djellison macrumors 68020

This, quite obviously, is totally unacceptable teaching material.

For a little balance, however, might I suggest people check the bible - a book you'll find in just about every school in the western world I would expect. It's teachings regarding adultery are no different to those mentioned above. It's got great things to say about menstruation as well. Homosexuality comes out smelling less than rose like as well. Sort of bludgeoned to death, really.

RELIGION FTW.

:rolleyes:

22. Surely Guest

Surely

You won't find the bible in public schools in Canada or the US. :confused:

I agree that this school needs to be shut down.

23. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

People who have the money?

Huge waste of money? Look, I live in the suburbs and the private school I went to is/was far better than the public schools in the area. My parents decided that spending the extra money was worth it, and I'm hugely appreciative for where they had their priorities. We had 100% of the students in my graduating class accepted to four-year universities. The average test scores were far higher and learning in an environment with small class sizes, smart students, and top-notch teachers was very advantageous to me. The public schools around me were generally rated well but, for political reasons, they engaged in bussing. They bussed inner-city kids over an hour to public schools near me because of the cries that inner-city schools weren't as good and it was disciminatory to not bus. Want to guess what happened? Vandalism and crime, in a place that never really had vandalism and crime. Declining academic standards, expansion of remedial classes at the expense of more advanced ones, and the list goes on...

24. spaceboots06 thread starter macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

I went to a Catholic middle school from grades 7-8, a Jesuit high school and a private university. I learned absolutely nothing in 6th grade because public education is nonsense. I honestly remember learning nothing. I'm not sure about the national statistics but my guess is that 30% of public school students drop out. I probably would have.

And I do also remember my high school not teaching religion too deeply. Yes, it was a mandatory course but it was more about making peace with yourself and finding what you're meant to do with your life. They tried to make it open ended just in case a student wasn't whatever religion they taught. Mass was mandatory, too; they just didn't force you to salute the cross or whatever that father-son-holy spirit maneuver is called.

25. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

From K-12 I attended schools that bussed in students. Yeah, they were problematic at times and many didn't make it all the way through, but we never really had any crime or vandalism, they didn't take away from the learning experience, we just learned to ignore them. Besides, by the time we got to high school, even middle school in some cases, the ones that performed poorly were in the lower level classes while the good students were in the higher level classes or honors classes and we never even saw them. I'm not sure what you consider small class size, but I don't think there were ever more than 25 students in a class (and on any given day there would always be a few absent) and I didn't think it was too many either. It was certainly better than college where I had some lectures with 2 or 3 hundred students.

Anyone at my school who wanted to do well did well, and I had several students in my graduating class who went on to MIT, Harvard, Yale, etc. The students who didn't want to do well didn't even try; they had no motivation, and I don't think private school would help that. A private school has the advantage of not having the unmotivated students as a nuisance, but you really learn to just ignore them and they don't have much of an effect.