Report: Trump is undermining his new Secretary of State

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Thomas Veil, Feb 10, 2017.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Wow.

Think we can count on Tillerson's support when it comes time for Pence to invoke the 25th Amendment? :D

2. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

I support his move. One of Trumps key hot buttons is loyalty. What Abrams said during the campaign ruled out any seat for him at the table.

3. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

I'm not sure loyalty trumps (haha) competence or suitability for the job at hand. The US Government is designed to be adversarial - and we can see why...

4. jpietrzak8 macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

So, do you think Trump should therefore get rid of Tillerson for choosing Abrams? I mean, how loyal can Tillerson be, if his favorite pick is this "traitor" to Trump?
    --- Post Merged, Feb 10, 2017 ---
    Um, I think that perhaps trials in the court system are set up to be adversarial; but the federal government is designed to have "checks and balances", not a purely adversarial system. The branches of government may have powers split between them, but I do think they were designed to work together with one another...

5. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

We actually agree...I just use the term adversarial as a means to effecting that ends.

6. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

Nope.

7. samcraig macrumors P6

Perceived loyalty. Trump, like a toddler though, is very black and white and have a long standing vindictive streak.

Even in jest, he keeps making threats. Most recently I heard him talk/laugh about about ruining some senator's career because he disagreed with him.

8. yaxomoxay macrumors 68020

yaxomoxay

Surprisingly, I support this move if confirmed. At the DoS you need people that appear as loyal as possible to the POTUS, otherwise all the negotiations risk to lose presidential authority. Without presidential authority you don't get far in dealing with foreign powers.
    At any other department I would consider it a wrong move.

9. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

The thing about loyalty is that it cuts both ways.

Mr Trump seems to be labouring under the delusion that the only possible definition of loyalty is blind loyalty to him.

10. samcraig macrumors P6

Not much has changed though. Trump is divisive.

11. yaxomoxay macrumors 68020

yaxomoxay

I certainly agree with that.

12. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

is anyone really surprised about the outcome? his reaction to toss the guy out of the line up is not something shocking or out of the ordinary. if someone speaks ill of our company or me, then had the gall to think they were going to be a part of our team, that would be a LOL moment. No different than just about anywhere.

13. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

He should pick the nominee who will best serve the American people...not the nominee who will best serve Donald Trump's ego.