Reported battery life: real or fake?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bjb.butler, Nov 5, 2011.

1. bjb.butler macrumors 6502a

bjb.butler

This is from another thread
    [​IMG]

Is this kind of battery life even possible? In comparison, attached is my usage :(

Attached Files:

2. Jimbo47 macrumors 6502a

If the screen is on constantly and the phone is in airplane mode and the phone isnt being used at all, then yeah that is probably realistic. Otherwise, no.

3. jgalan14 macrumors 6502

Doesn't sound right unless it was on airplane mode but even then the screen probably be lowest settings

4. bjb.butler thread starter macrumors 6502a

bjb.butler

Yeah, I wasn't buying it either :cool:

5. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

it might be possible if the screen was off, while listening to music, airplane mode, all location services and push notifications off

6. bjb.butler thread starter macrumors 6502a

bjb.butler

Right. But I meant that there is no way this is "real world" usage.

7. daviddth, Nov 5, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2011

daviddth macrumors 6502a

daviddth

I managed just over 2 full days, with a mix of calls, emails, SMS's, a small amount of simple gaming (Few levels of Angry birds), about 2hrs of music, minor use of Siri, but mostly standby. 50% screen brightness, on auto, with some location services off at the time, but not all.

The last snapshot was at 15% when I got to 1 day 22hrs, but that last 1% literally lasted hours watching video - I watched a movie starting at about 2 or 3%, finished that and got through most of a TV ep before the phone finally went flat. It was probably close to 2 days 6 to 8 hours or so in total. Far from the 200 hours Apple says, but not too bad considering what I was doing.

Edit: Oh and I'm at work so cant see the posted pic in the top post - what was the total time and %?

8. bjb.butler thread starter macrumors 6502a

bjb.butler

Did you forget to attach pics? What snapshots

9. daviddth macrumors 6502a

daviddth

My stats were while at home with 4+ bars of reception.

Attached Files:

10. bjb.butler thread starter macrumors 6502a

bjb.butler

That's nice battery life. But nothing compared to the pic in the OP that has almost 3x the usage you do.

11. daviddth macrumors 6502a

daviddth

Thats pretty good then (I will have to wait till I get home to see the pic lol). In reality I probably had 9hrs use, but that last few % took ages to drop and flatten and that was watching video, but I cant prove that in an image, so my pic will have to stand as it is :)

I'm pretty easy on the battery, with it easily lasting over a day with some book reading, surfing, emailing and messaging, I usually manage to plug it in for an hour or two of an evening and it's 60-70% then. It all depends on what the usage is - wifi or 3G surfing seems to make a difference, as does the use of various location services

12. bjb.butler thread starter macrumors 6502a

bjb.butler

The OP's pic reads:
    14 hours, 6 minutes USAGE
    3 days, 2 hours STANDBY

I find that hard to believe.

Coming from an android phone (Evo 4G), I've been pleased with my battery life (7 hours usage, 24 hours standby), bu seeing your usage it makes me sad :(

And I consider my above numbers to have been with "light" usage. Not even moderate...

13. daviddth macrumors 6502a

daviddth

Yep I too find that hard to believe as well unless the use was listening to music, and the phone was in airplane mode for the entire period, except when the pic was taken. I would live that sort of battery life, but not a hope - 2 days is about the limit here with my normal (Pretty light compared with many on the forum) use.

14. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

Some thoughts about battery life in general.

First off, no matter if it's a phone or laptop, battery life depends on so many factors. Usage patterns vary wildly, & some people exaggerate.

I've never been one to worry about battery life since it's so easy to recharge in the car & other places. Sure it's nice to get long run times but I never let battery life stop me from buying what I like. There's no reason to obsess over it.

I just use it and enjoy.

Cheers... :)

15. meowJING macrumors newbie

try to download 'battery doctor' Wish it may help.

16. deeddawg macrumors 604

Who cares? How is it relevant to anyone's normal usage? It's like the people who go to all sorts of lengths to get the very best fuel economy out of their cars; sure they might get something way better than I see, but it's totally irrelevant to my usage or needs.

I get up in the morning, take my phone off the charger, use it as normal, plug it into the charger when I go to bed. Since mine lasts all day, I'm happy.

With my 4, if I was at a client site with very poor signal sometimes the battery would drain faster; I had a charge/sync cord in my bag and charged from my computer USB port if necessary. I expect the same may be true with the 4S, just haven't travelled in the past month.

17. Obscurelight macrumors 6502

This is obviously impossible, the IPhone was plugged in somewhere in mid use but never reached full charge. As long as it doesn't reach full charge the statistics will not reset. I once had 10 hours use and 1 day 4 hours standby because I didn't charge full to 100% before unplugging

18. lavem macrumors member

lavem

I think it may be possible. The best I've ever gotten is 8hrs 26mins usage and 5 days 17 hours standby. This was on iPhone 4 with iOS4 with 3G switched off.

Attached Files:

19. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

I'm thinking that battery life is fake.

Coming from an iPhone 4 I was hoping for better battery life but that hasn't happened. hopefully with the new iOS update it'll fix battery issues.

20. Obscurelight, Nov 6, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2011

Obscurelight macrumors 6502

It's kind of hard to believe that you did not plug in your phone to charge at all in almost 6 days. Sounds farfetched even for a dumbphone

21. nwmtnbiker, Nov 6, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2011

nwmtnbiker macrumors 68000

nwmtnbiker

I totally understand what you are saying and that applies to me 75% of the time. The other 25% of the time I need that standby either because I'm camping (away from car) day hiking or just outside away from civilization. Wish I could make it 75% of my time.

Not complaining the iPhone is where I'm at and have zero thoughts of other phones. My first 4s lost 25% on standby over night. New one loses 1% over over night on standby.

I posted earlier on in thread and here are my recent stats. I've cycled battery twice so far.

Usage: 3hrs, 57 minutes
    Standby: 17hrs, 23 minutes
    48% left on battery.

I have everything on except iCloud and bluetooth. I am very happy that I mad the exchange. I might even turn on iCloud and see what happens here. Would be very nice to use.

22. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

I once squeezed 8 hours of usage and 14 hours of standby with no manipulation of settings (brightness included!). I was Safari'ing and texting and Netflix'ing.

23. lavem macrumors member

lavem

It was never plugged in and no airplane mode was used. I don't take or make many calls at all, same goes for texts. Any usage would have been around WiFi and I did deliberately try to avoid using it as much as possible. It is most definitely possible to stretch the battery life pretty far.

24. nwmtnbiker macrumors 68000

nwmtnbiker

I'm amazed by your Standby while showing such a weak signal! Impressive:cool:

25. deeddawg macrumors 604

For what it's worth, when I'm hiking I turn my phone OFF. I don't WANT anyone to reach me, and only turn on the phone if I need it for some reason. It lasts a very long time that way. :D

I did a four day hike in late August and only turned on my iPhone4 a handful of times (weather checks since there was a hurricane off the east coast, plus my wife's happier if she knows I haven't been eaten by a bear yet :D ) As you'd expect, I had nearly a full charge when I finished my hike.