Reporters trying to hurt Palin, poll shows

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Beric, Sep 4, 2008.

1. Beric macrumors 68020

Beric

2. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

3. Pittsax macrumors 6502

Pittsax

I think the media is doing its homework on a figure that has been plucked from relative obscurity and thrust into the spotlight. The fact that a lot of the findings have been negative is incidental. Palin didn't do herself any favors by distorting her record in every speech she's given either.

Is the media actively trying to bring her down? I don't think so. Facts sometimes hurt.

Remember, this is the same media that talked about Rev. Wright non-stop for over a week.

4. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

She knew her dirty laundry would get aired. She should have kept a cleaner laundry room. The media will attack and scrutinize her like everyone else.

5. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

Some of the Fourth Estate are finally doing their jobs.

6. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Yes.

7. Beric thread starter macrumors 68020

Beric

What do you guys think about the issues with Palin's family? Both Obama and Biden have specifically said to leave her alone (anyone need links?), and yet the media keeps dwelling on it.

8. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

No, I think for the large part the media is doing their job trying to discover who she is and what a potential Palin vice-presidency could mean for their readers and the general public. It's something the McCain team should have suspected would happen when they picked a relative unknown (and perhaps they counted on it, since they moved to characterized it as "the left wing media is picking on her" rather quickly).

9. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

No, the media is trying to *report* on Palin. Whenever they find something unflattering - like putting her town $22 million in debt, firing cops for not being cronies, trying to ban books from the library, or having a pregnant teenage daughter despite being a fundamentalist christian who believes in abstinence and no copmrehensive sex education - it's called an "attack" and "sexist" by Republicans. It's utter BS, is what it is.

10. Pittsax macrumors 6502

Pittsax

Sensationalism.

And as far as I'm concerned, if she's going to parade them around for her benefit, she's opened the door for media scrutiny.

11. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

From the article:

The problem is what do people consider the "media". The internet blogosphere has been exceptionally harsh on Palin although I think the TV News outlets have been relatively fair.

12. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Because there hasn't been a woman on the campaign trail recently. :rolleyes:

Up until this point I see no evidence that Palin is being treated differently by the media. Although after last night's speech, I wouldn't be surprised if that was about to change. :p

13. Beric thread starter macrumors 68020

Beric

Yeah, good point. The internet blogosphere has been particularly harsh on her.

14. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

I could care less about the issues with Palin's family, and quite honestly, Biden and Obama have it right. The media keeps feeding on this (like the vultures they are) because they think it's going to get them what they want (ratings). Unfortunately, they are getting it, because for some stupid reason, idiot commoners out there love a scandal.

Think about it.. Whitewater.. Chandra Levy.. W's kids caught drinking underage.. Prince William's on/off girlfriend.. It's like a car accident during rush hour with too many rubberneckers not minding their own damn business! :D

BL.

15. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

My reading is that it's wrong for the media, sorry the Democratic-supporting woman-hating liberal media, to even mention the fact that that Palin has a family, but it's perfectly okay for the Republicans to use them ("My son is going to Iraq" and so on) if it means that she doesn't have to talk about policy.

16. Pittsax macrumors 6502

Pittsax

Exactly right. Or the son with Down's syndrome. Or bringing Bristol's boyfriend along.

I wonder how many times Joe Biden's bragged about his son going to Iraq?

17. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

I personally think anyone's family is fair game insomuch as it can reflect the potential success/failure of one's personal beliefs as well as the extent that a candidate practices what he advocates.

For example: If Candidate X is advocating greater parental involvement in a child's education and we find out their children are being held back a grade, then that's fair game.

18. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Obama and his family walked out on stage at the DNC. Michelle Obama talked about her daughters as the sun rise and set. Barack spoke of his daughters frequently. That doesn't open the door for republicans to rake the Obama family over the coals. Its okay for Palin to mention her family, there really isn't much political gain for mentioning them, only to paint a picture of her character.

19. Aea macrumors 6502a

Aea

Of course Obama and Biden would say that even if it was counter to what they really want, they know it's going to be well received by the people but the media won't stop reporting on Palin's Family. Win-Win situation.

20. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

Once, and indirectly, at the beginning of his speech.

21. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

I did not approve of the medias slandering of Michelle Obama, so it would be hypocritical to excuse them for bringing the daughter into this. She is a 17 year old, who has many challenges ahead of her. Leave her alone. I would say the same about the husband, except he is involved with the oil companies (BP) and stands to profit from drilling in ANWR. I see that as a conflict of interest and it does bear scrutiny - not blind slander understand. All through the Clinton investigation and impeachment, the press left Chelsea alone. A couple media groups tried, but were immediately jumped on by the rest. I thought that was very professional of them.

22. Pittsax macrumors 6502

Pittsax

I respectfully disagree. She mentions having a son going to Iraq, as though that makes her and McCain's attitude towards the troops more important that Obama/Biden's.

She points out her son with Down's syndrome and says that parents with special needs (who are a VERY tight-knit group, as was correctly pointed out on Morning Joe) will have a "friend and advocate" in the White House were she elected, even though she cut special needs funding in Alaska by 62% as governor.

These statements have nothing to do with her character and everything to do with political gain.

23. Pittsax macrumors 6502

Pittsax

He said he was proud of him (and his other children) which was fair considering he (Beau) introduced him (Joe). But never once mentioned going to Iraq.

24. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Fair enough, but with this we then slide down the road to hypocrisy. If it's fair game for them to advocate a view like this, and then lead that view off by example, it's a positive thing that they're showing. But something like a teen pregnancy out of wedlock is off limits?

We can't have it one way and not the other, ya know? I see where you're coming from, but there's no line in the sand to draw for what is what.

BL.

25. Cleverboy macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

Pocket Universe, nth Dimensional Complex Manifold
    No.

~ CB