Reporting temps of 70c and fan running on high - when COLD - 11" Ultimate -

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Sean Dempsey, Nov 3, 2011.

1. Sean Dempsey macrumors 68000

Sean Dempsey

I love this 11" Ultimate... but the hardware and software problems are really starting to annoy me.

This has happened a few times, and just happened right now, prompting this post. The Air is reporting a temp of 70c, and the fans are running at full speed - from a fresh wake this morning when the thing is ice cold. Not a single part of the machine is even warm.

Now, before you ask - I have iStat menus running, and I can visibly see there are NO cpu spikes, no disk activity, no network activity, and no programs running. The computer just thinks it is at 70c for no reason.

I shut it down, and immediately booted it back up - and now the temp is 45c and no fans.

Reeeeeally frustrating. Has anyone encountered this? I've reset the PRAM and SMC multiple times, it doesn't really make a difference.

2. warfed macrumors regular

It seems like a somewhat common problem. It has something to do with putting the computer to sleep unplugged then waking it from deep sleep plugged in (or the other way around, can't remember). Had this happen several times, now I just shut it down when I know I will have it asleep for longer than a few hours.

3. Sean Dempsey thread starter macrumors 68000

Sean Dempsey

Wow, you nailed it.

I decided last night to leave it asleep and not plug it in, and then today I get to work with the battery at 66%, where I left it the night before, and that's when the temperature readout and fan got all weird.

What a joke.