Reports of Attacks on Women in Germany Heighten Tension Over Migrants

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by aaronvan, Jan 6, 2016.

1. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Sounds like a Puerto Rico Day in Gotham.

2. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

This might confirm that my wife was right and I hate it when she's right and I'm wrong she'll gloat for a month over something like this.

3. sim667 macrumors 65816

I'd be interested to see what comes from investigations, as I get the impression that people with jump to conclusions about the story.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-35241818

4. haxrnick macrumors 6502a

haxrnick

You must be a newlywed. ;)

5. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

No I've been married for 11 years

6. kapolani macrumors regular

The response by their leaders - it's basically their fault.

"They should be mindful of other's customs."
    "Travel in groups."
    "Don't talk to strangers."

If that stuff comes to America I would personally send some of them to allah.

7. Happybunny macrumors 68000

That was my thought also, in 2000 in NYC.
    This old/new year 2016 in Köln. This is a problem that has got to be controlled and fast, the police are going to have to really sort this out, with carnaval starting on February 7 they don't want any repeat performance.

These types of attacks also happened in the Arabian spring in Cairo, to TV crews.

8. unlinked macrumors 6502a

I'm sure February will be fine. You can flood events in one area with police. You can't do that everywhere all the time.

9. aaronvan thread starter Suspended

aaronvan

According to the Mayor or Cologne (known for her pro-Muslim immigration stance) the perpetrators are not to blame for their busy hands. You see, it's the ladies fault that they were salaciously groped and pawed by men of Arab or North African appearance. Had they remained "an arm's length" from any and all strangers, they would not have been assaulted!

Got that, ladies? When you are assaulted or raped it's
    your fault. After all, you shouldn't be walking public streets and talking to strangers without a male relative because there are one million new German residents who consider that an open invitation.

Ain't uncontrolled immigration nice?

10. BoxerGT2.5, Jan 6, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2016

BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

The more I talk to my family in Germany and other Germans (some who I would have considered liberal leaning), the more I and 75% of them have come to the conclusion that Germany needs to stop worrying about what the world will think if they start protecting their borders and culture. The guilt of 75yrs ago is still present, but it's time they get past it.

11. lobeyonekenobi macrumors regular

lobeyonekenobi

At the end of the day you try to help as much as you can, but when is enough, enough and I think if these reports are true maybe deport the ones that are caught making trouble, if you migrate to another country then you have to live by their laws.

12. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

It's better it happens now rather than later if they eventually get pushed too far.

13. Meister Suspended

Meister

The attacks were coordinated and happened simultaneously in Cologne, Hamburg and Frankfurt.

This was not a random rape and rob party.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 6, 2016 ---
    Germany has had a problem with the lowest birthrates on the planet for decades.

Merkel took the forward approach and seized the opportunity of this great refugee crisis to create the necessary immigration to sustain the economy.

This tactic his highly controversial but without mass immigration the economy will collapse very rapidly.

14. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

I wonder how many refugees will pay as much or more in taxes than they will receive in services though? Apparently in 2013 Germany spent 12,500 Euros per refugee per year. You'd know a lot more about the German tax code than me, but I assume you'd have to make a pretty decent amount of money to pay 12,500 Euros a year in taxes. And of course the cost would be a lot higher for families because children don't work or pay any tax.

15. sim667 macrumors 65816

There's quite a lot of posters here that would agree with that viewpoint (I most certainly am not one of them).
    --- Post Merged, Jan 7, 2016 ---
    Im not sure about Germany, but in the UK, year on year, immigrants bring a net benefit to taxation.

16. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

As much as folks like to make fun of Merkel she's not stupid there is a plan and the costs have been weighed.

17. Bug-Creator macrumors 6502

Bug-Creator

Don't know where that amount comes from, but I'm guessing it includes health costs.

Paying 12500 in income-tax+VAT+ SocialSecurity doesn't require much of a paycheck.
    Taking all things into account making as little as 30k might do the trick.

18. bandrews macrumors 6502a

But to be fair, most of them are from eastern europe (the entire agriculture and horticulture industry relies on eastern european labour) and not asylum seekers.

I'm all for offering asylum to people fleeing war and persecution - but if they can't respect the laws, cultures and rights of the people of their host countries, they should be sent straight back where they came from.

19. sim667 macrumors 65816

What evidence do you have that any attacks in cologne are from the current wave of asylum seekers? Even the investigating police have not said that....... or are you too busy getting yourself in a tizwoz to bother reading the articles?

20. bandrews macrumors 6502a

Sorry for jumping to conclusions but when groups "middle eastern and north African" (German police quote, not mine) men start sexually assaulting women at a time when over a million refugees have been admitted to Germany, it's quite easy.

At what point does your fear of being labelled a racist become less important than your concern for women's rights and safety?

21. sim667 macrumors 65816

The haven't said middle easter either have they, I think the description is "Arab and North African looking men".

And its pretty clean I don't feel fear of being labelled a racist "become less important for women's rights and safety" - those are your words, not mine.

However what will inevitably happen in this thread, is a bunch of right wing Americans will try and use this story in a moment of "we told you so glory" over their racist views on Islam, and particularly the current wave of refugee and asylum..... when actually there's currently no evidence that the two are linked, no-one has been arrested to verify this, yet you're still prepared to jump to a conclusion. Thats my point.

22. unlinked macrumors 6502a

Hypothetically, if people are arrested and they are all asylum seekers will that change your opinion on anything?

23. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

I just watched an interview with one of the women attacked in Cologne. Clearly something awful happened. However, if you listen closely she says things like - 'I didn't see their faces'. Then she admits she could not identify the men visually or by the sound of their voice. Apparently she was certain they were not speaking a European language, then she inferred they were North Africans or Arabs. Not sure how she could say this, but hopefully there are video cameras and the truth of the matter will come to light.

If I had any say, I'd make the men convicted of the assaults run a gauntlet of the women who were attacked that night. Shameless cowards...

24. kapolani macrumors regular

If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck...

25. BoxerGT2.5, Jan 7, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2016

BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

I'm aware of Germany's population growth dilemma. Simply taking ANYONE in isn't going to get them the desired affect. Not if the minute someone shows up they end up on social welfare programs and they remain unemployed. There was a point in time when countries, all of them, would look at immigration from a standpoint of what that person could contribute to their society. Countries would look for the best and brightest. Simply letting warm bodies in isn't an answer, not when they become an economic drain and fail to assimilate.