Republican congressman tells us how he really feels about Trump

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Rogifan, Apr 11, 2018.

1. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

2. RichardMZhlubb Contributor

RichardMZhlubb

I think I’ve mentioned here before that one of my coworkers, a former Republican member of Congress with lots on interaction with the current Congress, estimates that every Republican senator and most Republican House members think privately that Trump is an incompetent clown.

3. Rogifan thread starter macrumors Core

Rogifan

Of course they do. And the ones that don’t are clowns just like him riding the Trump gravy train.

4. Vanilla Ice macrumors 6502

Vanilla Ice

Who’s this former Congressman you’re talking about? I would like to see his background as a Republican and how much he relates to President Trump.

5. Huntn, Apr 11, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2018

Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

This is the nature of politics, especially Republican politics, since Trump grabbed the golden ring- put on a good show for the public, curse and cry in your bedroom, and finally say how you feel as you announce you are leaving politics. :oops:

6. RichardMZhlubb Contributor

RichardMZhlubb

I'm certainly not going to identify him, but he's very anti-Trump. That doesn't change the fact that I believe him to be very credible on this issue. You can choose not to believe it, but here in DC I hear this sort of thing all the time, namely that just about everyone on the Hill (D and R alike) and even people in the administration understand that Trump is totally unqualified and incompetent.

7. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

I'm betting it's some intern mouthing off.:rolleyes: It's like Tom Hank's character in Saving Private Ryan explains how griping works in any organization.:cool: Gripe go up.

No Republican Congressman is gonna trash talk Trump in public.

8. raqball macrumors 68000

Sorry but this article is probably pure propaganda and fodder.. Just because someone posts something on the internet does not make it true.

I notice there is not a spec of proof in it but I suppose it can be believed if thats what someone chooses to do.. Me? Nah...

9. samcraig macrumors P6

10. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

You're right. Wait until the ballots are counted. Surprises are as good as a shot of espresso for those of us who are just bystanders once we've voted, eh?

However, if you want my opinion, the guy quoted in the first post is no bystander and he sees the blue wave heading onshore.

11. oldhifi macrumors 65816

oldhifi

12. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

From your link:

"It's like Forrest Gump won the presidency, but an evil, really ****ing stupid Forrest Gump. He can't help himself. He's just a ****ing idiot who thinks he's winning when people are b*tching about him. He really does see the world as ratings and attention.”
    (Asterisks added to keep me off the mods’ bad boy list.)

That and the earlier part you quoted have got to be part of the most epic rant I’ve ever heard. :p You can tell how this guy has been under pressure for so long and has just been waiting to explode.

Not that it’s not partly his own fault. You sidle up to a monster, you get what you deserve.

13. raqball macrumors 68000

Sorry, I don't participate in voting a party line so I don't care if there is a red wall or a blue wall coming. People should vote for who they think will do the best job and not who their party tells them to vote for.

Aside from that it's common for a mid-term party flip.

My .02

14. CaptMurdock Suspended

CaptMurdock

Agreed. If a sitting Republican Senator or Congressman, not a retiring one, not one with one foot in the casket, were to actually denounce Trump in public, I think I'd personally deliver said Repub the Nobel Peace Prize wearing my Spider-Man underoos.

15. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

I could cue The Rock here and easily say "It doesn't matter what you think!"

However, there is the bigger underlying problem here, and that is the lack of integrity and standing up for convictions here. If the guy has any integrity in him, he wouldn't really say this behind anyone's back, regardless of playing politics. I don't mean by just coming out and saying it to Trump's face, but he's doing his constituents a huge dishonor by supporting a guy that he feels so negative about. If he knows that Trump is an idiot (like we all do), stand up for what you believe.

This is the equivalent of being a member of the KKK and going to their rallies while telling your non-aryan friends how racist and vile the KKK is. No backbone, no spine, no belief or testicular fortitude to stand up for their convictions.

That is a problem, and not only a problem that this person needs to address, but every person in this country needs to address. If you can't stand up for your convictions and stand true to them, you have a problem you have to resolve by yourself, and it needs to be resolved.

Perfect analogy: I'd rather trust jackals and con men; at least they are honest in their treachery.

BL.

16. raqball macrumors 68000

You are correct in that what I think about it does not matter to others, but it does matter to me.

I'd ask why you have chosen to believe something to be 'as a matter of fact' with no proof or evidence whatsoever that what's alleged in the 'article' (I use that word lightly) is even remotely true?

I'm sorry but to me this is about as fake as fake news gets.. Offer me some proof it's true and we can discuss it as a credible matter then.

17. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

It is not what Republicans say, it is what they don't.

Mitch McConnell: the silence is deafening.

18. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Read my post again. I never said I believed it. What I said was that the guy has no spine, nor any willing to stand up for and true to his convictions. If he knows that Trump is an idiot, he should stand true to his stance, not cower behind politics just to toe the line.

Again, re-read my post and you'll see that yours here is doing nothing but attempting (feebly at that) to put words in my mouth that I never said.

BL.

19. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

Of course voters should vote for the person they think will best represent their views. The blue wave is not some sort of lemming phenomenon. If it occurs it's the result of the sum of individual voters' revulsion over the legislative record that's out there for us all to see.

20. raqball macrumors 68000

So was that also the case when Obama suffered massive, massive losses?

21. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

That is correct.

22. BigHonkingDeal macrumors 6502a

BigHonkingDeal

What's your point?

23. raqball macrumors 68000

Context and it was answered so all is square.

24. samcraig macrumors P6

Doubt it - there have been leaked audio and other comment that have made it into the news. This type of comment shouldn't be a surprise to anyone.

25. Rogifan thread starter macrumors Core

Rogifan

But see this is what I hate about the “I just call balls and strikes” crowd. Because often times they don’t call anything at all so they don’t have to call strikes. There’s nothing courageous about being silent or speaking up only after you’ve decided not to run for re-election.