Republican Congressman Trent Franks to Resign Due to 'Inappropriate Behavior'

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by bradl, Dec 7, 2017.

1. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

I await the calls for "let him face his accusers in court" from those that defend the Reds, especially when they haven't given the same latitude for others.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entr...044e4b0a290f04f4911?ncid=inblnkushpmg00000009

It will be interesting to hear what this 'inappropriate behavior' consists of, let alone who claims it.

BL.

2. darksithpro macrumors 6502

This is fine. He will be replaced with another Republican. Note to participants, they're calling for Moore to drop out, because that would give the Senate position to a Democrat. The Republicans are playing the long game just like Dems, because if Moore wins, then he will simply resign, then the Governor would replace him with another Republican, basically the same thing Democrats just did to Franken, Minnesota Gov Mark Dayton, a Democrat will pick another Democrat to replace Franken. It's all politics.

3. bradl thread starter macrumors 68040

bradl

While what you are saying is correct for the Senate (17th Amendment), there is no such rule for the House. That would be held to Special Election. So, there's a seat up for grabs in the House.

But that is beside the point as well; The Blues have called on their own to resign when it comes to allegations like this; so far, the Reds have sought to defend their own when the same allegations are levied against them. That is a huge moral and ethical problem that is plaguing one major political party in this country.

BL.

4. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Defending someone's right to face their accuser isn't the same as defending the person, stop trying to muddy the water.

If Al Franken wants to dispute that he grabbed a woman's breast while she slept he should feel free. Evidence would prove him wrong.

5. bradl thread starter macrumors 68040

bradl

No muddying from me; you've already accomplished that yourself with Conyers, Franken, Moore, and Trump. It's already been shown how far you and other supporters would go to defend them (Trump and Moore) and the accusations against them than you would against any other person. Again, the double standard is plain to see.

Al Franken is irrelevant to this thread. I await your response to this accusation, especially seeing that he is resigning; and by your own words:

that makes him guilty.

BL.

6. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Oh my gosh....does firebrand Moore really strike you as the type to "simply resign"?

7. darksithpro macrumors 6502

Either way, his colleagues will force his hand if he wins.

8. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

So another than can join Conyers and Franken in retirement..Tschuss MF

9. R.Perez macrumors 6502

R.Perez

I honestly feel sorry for you and some other posters here that are so desperately partisan that it shapes your entire world view and your sense of right and wrong.

10. samcraig macrumors P6

I feel sorry both everyone (as I said in another thread) that wants to make this about party and politics vs a human issue.
    Both sides lack people with a moral compass. There shouldn't be a debate as to which side is worse or should do what. If you hold one person accountable, you should hold them all - whatever your position is (they should step down, they should stay, etc).

11. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Thank you to these brave women who are actually draining the swamp.

12. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

Wut???

13. 0007776 Suspended

From the articles I’d seen his wife wasn’t able to get pregnant and carry a baby to term so they had used surrogates in the past and somehow he thought it would be a good idea to ask one of his aids to be a surrogate mother. I’m not sure why he couldn’t find one elsewhere.

14. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

LOL. The family values conservative didn't intend to use the test tube method, if you know what I mean.

15. darksithpro macrumors 6502

:oops:

16. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Hes resigning of course he's guilty. If he wasn't he'd fight.

Trump and Moore have decided to confront their accusers, I will not assume guilt in that case until proof is given (we've recently learned that part of the evidence used against Moore was forged). When they lay down and resign it's pretty obvious they did it, and sometimes we have photos.

17. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

That seems to be the implication. And, the fact that he's pulling the loud-handle now makes it clear that he knows he didn't just ask a question.

18. bradl thread starter macrumors 68040

bradl

Here is your problem, and I'll spell it out again.

You don't know if he is guilty or not. Again, referencing your defense of Moore and Trump, you want them to have the chance to face their accusers and provide evidence to show the truth.

You won't allot these other people the same luxury, regardless of their resignation or not. You are not willing to provide them what they deserve as far as the law is concerned. They also have the right to face their accuser and have evidence presented before them.

You willingly, just by seeing that they have resigned, have tried and convicted them without seeing even one shred of evidence. That is a HUGE flaw in your logic, a showing of a HUGE lack of integrity in your thinking and judgment, and a HUGE double standard with those whose "side you have picked and will defend to the death", even when you know that their side is wrong.

Your own words are showing you this, not any accusation from me, or anyone else. Anyone who takes this stance is showing this, and it is not a good look at anyone, let alone their realm of thinking.

Thankfully, those that take this stance are not the law, and have a jaded sense of understanding of who should be innocent until proven guilty.

But I digress. I'll ask you this question. Gabrielle Giffords resigned from Congress. By your logic, she should be guilty of something. What is she guilty of?

BL.

19. 0007776 Suspended

Not necessarily, even if not guilty people in public office may put their constituents first and decide that fighting it would mean that they could not do their job so it is better to let someone else take over.

20. Zombie Acorn, Dec 8, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2017

Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

I don't buy this, a duly elected leader has the obligation to combat false accusations that would divert the will of the people to have them in office.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 8, 2017 ---
    What are you talking about? Franken had a photo of him grabbing someone's breasts and Conyers had a worker who he asked for sexual favors with three witnesses to the actual event.

With your giffords question you are again trying to muddy things. She wasn't accused of sexual harassment. Resignations can happen for many reasons, if it's right after you've been accused of sexually abusing your co-workers it's probably because you sexually abused your coworkers, especially if you don't even defend yourself before resigning.

21. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

Gee, Moore if he had a clue, could save us a lot of trouble, but he’s not that type of man.... :oops:

22. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Repubs just want the red seat and then Moore can leave. Dems don't really care about Moore, they just want a blue seat in AL so they can push a narrative that Trump's going down.

23. bradl thread starter macrumors 68040

bradl

Wrong. No-one has the obligation to combat false accusations. If they are that: false, they can be ignored and just move on, leaving them unfounded, or choose to fight them. No-one is obligated to fight any accusation.

But again, Onus is on you. Source any rule or regulation or law that states that a duly elected official has the obligation to fight any accusation. Any reputable source or statute, please.

You claim that the defendants have the right to face their accuser. Has that happened in a court of law? Remember, even with evidence, no matter how insurmountable, any person is innocent until proven guilty in a court of law. Are you trying to renege on that, just because someone resigned? Again, your thinking and logic behind what you are saying is vehemently flawed.

Additionally, you're trying to deflect to Franken. I'm talking about Trent Franks. He resigned. By your logic, must be guilty.

I'm just following your logic, and showing how wrong it is, let alone how one tends to bend and twist it, without any room for staying true to the convictions of their logic. You stated that if they resigned, they are guilty. Giffords resigned. What is she guilty of?

BL.

24. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

You mean the notes added, not forged, huge difference.