Republican governor claims children raped, used drugs while teachers had 1 day strike

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by PracticalMac, Apr 14, 2018.

1. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Republican Kentucky Gov. Matt Bevin (R) claims children raped, used drugs while teachers had 1 day strike.

Wow.
    Just like #45.
    Wild statements with no facts or proof, and said it during the first day of strike.
    Was he hurting because the Republican legislature passed a funding increase bill over his veto? Temper tantrum?

Sad. Really sad.

2. 0007776 Suspended

Well given the recent track record of Republicans (Trump, Moore, etc.) he may have had first hand knowledge of it happening...

3. Night Spring, Apr 14, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2018
  4. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

So what he’s saying is they need to earn even more than we thought...

How do these nutjob basket cases get into office?

5. Rum_Becker Suspended

This is so funny, If these children start raping and doing drugs because of a one day strike, I think this speaks more about the christians values of these children. I hope I made a statement with as much hyperbole.

6. statik13 macrumors regular

statik13

If only those teachers had guns, none of these hypotheticals would of happened... :rolleyes:

7. duffman9000 macrumors 68000

duffman9000

Instead of blaming society, shouldn’t conservatives be blaming the parents?

8. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

All it takes is stupid on the receiving end of this message to gain traction. How many dummies are out there? Not to mention the caliber of the electorate who promoted this yahoo to Governor.

9. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

Parents throughout the state should be planting themselves at his doorstep.

What does this moron think happens on the weekends? Evenings? Holidays?

10. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

It used to be the party of personal responsibility and accountability. :(

11. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

12. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Republican governor claims children raped, used drugs while teachers had 1 day strike

...makes you wonder what Governor Bevin got up to that day.

13. Rum_Becker Suspended

I think he would literally think people were being planted if you gave him that statement. He would call up W to talk about his new vegetable garden in his front yard.

14. JayMysterio macrumors 6502

JayMysterio

It's all good people. Just a misunderstanding is all...
    https://splinternews.com/governor-apologizes-for-child-sex-assault-comments-by-1825278522

Kentucky’s Republican Gov. Matt Bevin “apologized” on Sunday for a ridiculous outburst two days earlier in which he claimed that protests by teachers in the state had led to children being sexually assaulted.

“You know how many hundreds of thousands of children today were left home alone? I guarantee you somewhere in Kentucky today a child was sexually assaulted that was left at home because there was nobody there to watch them,” Bevin said on Friday about the protests, after his budget veto over education spending went down in flames.

Of course, the governor issued one of those politician-style apologies, in which the blame lies with those criticizing the bad message instead of the one who actually said it.

“One of the other things that’s clear about unintended consequences is sometimes the words that people say, the way in which they say it, or just the misunderstanding that comes from that also can have unintended consequences,” Bevin said in a Facebook post. “And I think that is what happened from the very things that I said.”

While he admitted that the “responsibility for such things falls on the person doing the speaking,” the governor added that “clearly, a tremendous number of people did not fully appreciate what it was that I was communicating or what it was that I was trying to say, and I hurt a lot of people.”

15. duffman9000 macrumors 68000

duffman9000

Has this person ever heard of "latch key kids"? By his reasoning a generation was sexually assaulted.

16. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Yes, that would be my generation. I wasn't a regular latch-key kid, but many of my classmates had parents who both worked, and they'd go home after school and let themselves in and spend the afternoon by themselves until someone came home. My parents had unconventional schedules so sometimes I'd spend most of weekends alone. They'd leave me lunch in the fridge, and I'd read books and do homework and otherwise amuse myself until they got home. It was pretty common, and no one questioned it. I don't know when it changed!

17. duffman9000 macrumors 68000

duffman9000

My wife and I playfully argue about generations. She keeps trying to squeeze into Gen X, but I always boot her out.

Looney Tunes taught me everything I needed to know about explosives.

18. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

Sorry you guys misunderstood what I was saying and got your feeling hurt

-Matt Bevins

19. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Ugh, double facepalm!

20. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

For me it was nice to have a couple hours of quiet to get school stuff done before my folks got home to find other things for me to do. I got home, made myself something to eat, did my home work and got sometime before it was checked and corrections made.

21. JayMysterio macrumors 6502

JayMysterio

I've always loved the concept of "ALL of you, misunderstood what I said." Maybe... you didn't say what you meant to say. Or as it usually pans out in these half baked apologies, you said what you really meant to say, and got surprised it by the reaction to it. I mean, when several hundred people misunderstand what you said, it no longer becomes a comprehension problem, it's more of a delivery problem.

22. eltoslightfoot macrumors 6502a

eltoslightfoot

Un. Believable. And people wonder why I can’t identify with EITHER party? This governor is an idiot, and that is not an apology. Wow

23. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

Not a Bevin fan at all, and he could have used this as a chance to actually explain his position. He's bad about off the cuff remarks and just coming across as generally out of touch when he speaks. I'll mention that-with one exception-I've personally met and interacted with every person who has sat in the office-and at times on multiples occasions-for the past 40+ years, although not all of those times were while they were in office(that would be a difficult claim for me to make considering that I'm 30). Bevin is the most arrogant, out of touch, and dismissive individual to have held the office in the memory of most folks who are alive.

The protests are over the teacher's retirement system, but frankly it's a case of doing something NOW to actually keep it solvent.

Kentucky Teacher's Retirement is financially about to go past the point of no return. The root of a lot of the problems is the general assembly "borrowing" money from them to balance the budget over the last 30 years...BTW it's worth mentioning that, up until very recently, the Democratic party had a pretty firm hold on state government for about 100 years. Bevin is the 3rd Republican governor since the early '70s at least. I'm too lazy to look it up now, but you'd probably have to dig way back even further than the 1970s to find another(and that's a fair few governors-up to the late 90s governors had a 1-term at a time limit-Paul Patton was the first governor to serve two sequential terms when was re-elected in '99).

All of that aside, the teachers have forced several districts to close across the state for multiple days(not just the one day he referenced) in the past few weeks to protest the proposed fixes to the Teacher's Retirement. In doing so, they have cost the state a LOT of money.

I'll also add that my dad DOES actively draw a pension from Kentucky Teacher's Retirement and my sister-as a full time public school teacher-is actively paying into the system. In that sense I have somewhat of a stake in this.

24. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

He did not realize he was trying to pull a Trump communicating nonsense. :oops:

25. RootBeerMan macrumors 65816

RootBeerMan

This is what you get when you elect one of the TEA Party darlings. An imbecile. So glad I don't live in KY any longer. At least Indiana's republican governor isn't a moron and knows when to keep his mouth shut, (unlike his predecessor, Pence).