Republican Led Senate Intel subpoenas Trump Jr. over Russia matters

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by ericgtr12, May 8, 2019.

1. ericgtr12 macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

McConnell said it was over yesterday, apparently he thought wrong.

From Axios

2. ouimetnick macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

McConnel is only concerned for himself, trump, and the GOP. He doesn’t really care about America. Still not sure why these old politicians aren’t in a nursing home together. I’d throw McConnel, Grassley, Schumer, & Pelosi into the same old folks home. They all were just children when dinosaurs because extinct.

3. LordVic macrumors 603

4. dogslobber macrumors 68040

dogslobber

5. linuxcooldude macrumors 68020

Nothing will come of it. Some of that was already discussed in the Mueller report as he mentioned Trump Jr. on not being able to bring charges ( Hilary being mentioned as well ) due to not being able to define "Anything of Value" in regards to Opposition research and no previous precedent being set in a court of law. Just more grandstanding by the Democrats as they have lost due to executive privilege on reacted portions of Mueller report and likely to be upheld by the Supreme Court.

6. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

McConnell's keeping an eye on the polls, not just Trump's approval ratings but the polling for GOP senators who are up for re-election in 2020. He wants to retain Republican power in that Senate. So to the extent Trump's tweeting antics and/or any aftermath of the Mueller investigation start making that look more difficult, Trump (and any staffers and hangers-on like his kids) can expect Mitch's support to remain in the range of noncommittal to pretty darn fluid.

Bottom line, Mitch is cynical enough to throw the White House under a bus and deal with a Democrat in the Oval from 2021 forward plus a Democratic-majority House -- as long as the Senate still gets to confirm only right-leaning ideologues to the judiciary. He has practically said so in the past. He regards a conservative judiciary as the Republicans' one defense against unfavorable demographics for that party in future. He figures his part in establishing that judiciary as the finest element of his legacy.

Mitch McConnell would have been fine with Hillary Clinton in the White House instead of Trump, knowing his majority in the Senate would force any of her SCOTUS picks rightward in order to win confirmation. The court's already leaning 5-4 now with the ascension of Kavenaugh and with Roberts not always inclined to play the swing vote role thus forced upon him. McConnell can afford one misjudgment on a Dem's "moderately conservative" pick...

McConnell faces re-election himself in 2020, with a base in his own party in Kentrucky that expects him to lean towards Trump, and an opposition party that has grown stronger since 2016. It's part of the reason he has been saying to GOP Senators to run their own campaigns independent of national campaign efforts focused on the re-election of Trump... he wants to be able to do that too in Kentucky, but be able to point to it as merely good overall Republican strategy rather than a political necessity for himself.

7. linuxcooldude macrumors 68020

No, see my previous post.

8. Rhonindk macrumors 68040

Rhonindk

sitting on a beach watching a DC simulation ...
    After watching a good bit of the J Committee grandstanding / whining / pontificating today, I suspect there are some very worried about what Barr/OIG will find and release ...

9. LordVic macrumors 603

Reading a few different articles.

This post seems a bit editorialized in the "Russian Matters". Which does imply that this is related to Russian collusion/meddling and Meuller's investigation.

This appears to be related to Cohen's testimony about the potential Russian real estate deal during the campaign. back in 2017, Jnr. testified he didn't know much but peripheral knowledge of a potential deal. Cohen testified that he explicitly gave details about the meetings to Jnr with specific dates.

So this is the Senate following up on the potential discrepancies between Jnr's original testimony and Cohen's about the Trump Tower deal in Russia, an not directly related to russian collusion.

So the Senate either knows what really happened and are trying to catch either Cohen or Jnr purgering themselves, or it'll be more of the same answers as last time.

10. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

They're posturing, trying to look like they're not without principle and so are willing to try to throw someone under the bus that DoJ chose not to indict... or possibly just throwing more mud at Cohen who's already in the slam.

It may make the Senate judiciary look less like the scofflaw President whose coattails become less and less appetizing to try to ride to re-election on. They're sensitive to charges they quashed subpoenas they should have permitted earlier. They're just covering their behinds for 2020 in case their campaign opposition wants to try to make something of missteps like ever having confirmed Bill Barr lol.

I can hear it now: well at least we took steps to re-hear a witness who actually might have done something wrong although in the end we, uh, well the intent wasn't really clear, but we did our duty and investigated...

It does start to look like amateur chess night in Congress though, doesn't it? Both houses playing to their peanut galleries and getting terrible advice from the kibitzers on cable tv.

Psst, sacrifice your bishop, you can get his knight after.

Nah, nah... I'm goin' for his pawn over there, he'll freak and then I'll have him two moves down the road, see where the Queen is?
    Dog and pony shows for both Dems and GOP, all vamping while they get around to copping to the fact that there's no money for an infrastructure bill, health care is still a hot rail going nowhere, and neither side will have any crowning legislative achievements to brag on in 2020 (and no one in the Rs' side wants to revisit the 2018 brag sheets because all those did was lose the House for them).

So they throw subpoenas around in both houses and wait to see what happens to the markets and to the economy with whiffs of trade wars and hassles with Iran and NK still in the air.

We are fools to let this President play us for political points. Someone said in a post one day that Trump is "a real person". Yep. He's a real person all right. Just not one that should be anywhere near the football with the nuke codes in it.

Both parties are essentially flummoxed by Trump's administration turning out to be so corrosively dismissive of the US Constitution as amended. I think the Republicans thought they could "manage" Donald Trump. They can't, or at least haven't bothered themselves enough to do a good job. Some Democrats are more concerned about the 2020 elections than about standing up right now for principles of the republic as we have understood its rule of law. Some are sure the principles matter more but are powerless to make them stick in a Senate that sees through McConnell's eyes a "case closed" situation. In sum it is the worst government I've ever lived under for its disrespect of the "all Americans" these elected officials are all supposed to serve while upholding the Constitution.

The Dems are right to take Barr on (a guy who should not have been confirmed) but that's not a substitute for impeaching Trump, which he richly deserves but which the Dems cannot afford to do if they want to have a shot at the Oval in 2020. At least not unless some other shoe drops. So the Dems hesitate... The GOP should have done it but they've been gaslighted into thinking they have to support Trump because there's a bogeyman under their beds and its name is "Trump Core Supporter".

I figure the other shoes will drop when Trump leaves office and that's soon enough for me, assuming the Democrats bear down and put up a candidate for 2020 who reminds us we used to elect worthy candidates to the office. I'd settle for the GOP putting up some strong alternatives to Trump in a Republican primary!

In the meantime I don't mean to dismiss the importance of hearing witnesses under subpoena but I am cynical as hell about how significant the efforts are. They are a weird mix of symbolism and proxy wars across the aisles. Partisan sound and fury in both houses of Congress and in the White House as well, while the voters wonder who gives a damn about ordinary Americans and the courts hope they don't have to sort any of this **** out. What a state of affairs.

Yes this is all just my opinion. I know I'm not alone in holding it though.

11. samcraig macrumors P6

Ironic statement given the President who seems to think he's been completely exonerated is throwing around executive privilege and trying to get people to not testify...

And Barr refused to testify. I suspect both are very worried.

12. linuxcooldude macrumors 68020

Barr doesn't have a problem speaking to Congress directly, not to their lackeys.

13. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

What do you mean by that? Who are "the lackeys" of Congress?

14. linuxcooldude macrumors 68020

Their attorney's.

15. RichardMZhlubb Contributor

RichardMZhlubb

This subpoena was issued by a Republican majority Senate committee.

16. ericgtr12 thread starter macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

As clearly stated in the title of this thread.