Republican official 'would have shot' Guardian reporter attacked by Montana Congressman

Rogifan

macrumors Core
Original poster
Nov 14, 2011

Zombie Acorn

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
vice-president of programs for Gallatin County Republican Women

Does this make her an official? Sounds like a community group in the middle of no where.

bradl

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2008

Does this make her an official? Sounds like a community group in the middle of no where.
Are you trying to defend or justify her statement? I mean, your post does sound like you are trying to play it down. And even in jest, the threat of ending the life over someone lawfully exercising their 1A right should be taken seriously, regardless of the political status of that individual.

BL.

Zombie Acorn

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Are you trying to defend or justify her statement? I mean, your post does sound like you are trying to play it down. And even in jest, the threat of ending the life over someone lawfully exercising their 1A right should be taken seriously, regardless of the political status of that individual.

BL.
No, but the thread title sure makes her sound like a figurehead for Republicans.

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere

BL.
The thing is we have plenty of nuts like that on the left. If we want to make this person representative of Republicans then it’s fair game for them to make the left’s nuts representative of Democrats.

Reactions: BeeGood

bradl

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2008
The thing is we have plenty of nuts like that on the left. If we want to make this person representative of Republicans then it’s fair game for them to make the left’s nuts representative of Democrats.
No argument with that. However, there is a difference between identifying who those nuts are and playing down their actions and/or attempting to defend them. One is fair game. The other is not.

BL.

citizenzen

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2010
You made me go back through the thread, and saw the OP said, “What Republicans have turned into with Trump as their leader. smh”

That is an overly broad brush that I skipped over in my initial read.

I can now see where ZA got his figurehead impression. So his imagination isn’t acting up nearly as much as I said it was. My bad ZA, my bad.

Solomani

macrumors 68040
Sep 25, 2012
Alberto, Canado

She would contemplate felonious violence against a reporter? She sounds more like the next Trump surrogate on Fox News, and also the next NRA spokeswoman.

Last edited:
Reactions: MadeTheSwitch

Rogifan

macrumors Core
Original poster
Nov 14, 2011
No one is making it representative of all Republicans but make no mistake the Republican Party is becoming a much different party under Donald Trump. One reason I’m no longer a Republican. I wish someone would start a 3rd party for Conservatives who want nothing to do with Donald Trump and Steve Bannon.

Solomani

macrumors 68040
Sep 25, 2012
Alberto, Canado
Both the Left and Right have been increasingly catering to the fringe in recent years. I'm not surprised. The fringe is louder. Loud voices get more attention. More publicity. More coverage. More media air time. More traction. They have great slogans and spirited rallies. The fringe has an endless supply of charismatic demagogues.

But the fringe is also the playground of violent lunatics, extremists. The fringe also attracts felons, and scores of people with criminal history and mental instability.

My hope is that Americans will someday realize that the political fringe is a place to avoid. Go back to the center. The place of moderation, pragmatic negotiation, and even political compromise….. because that's the only way a pluralistic democracy can be governed.

jerwin

macrumors 68020
Jun 13, 2015
s there a logical reason why it (theoretically) could not be viable? Please tell.
Because centrists get branded as RINOs, DINOs, and sellouts. It's not theory, it's practice.

Plus, the Nazis already tried to kill tens of millions of people. You don't compromise with Nazis.