Republican overspending

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by PerfSeeker, Aug 3, 2010.

1. PerfSeeker macrumors 6502a

http://www.slate.com/id/2262532/

Ok, fine the GOP are flaming hypocrites. But does that justify $2 trillion deficits by the Democrats as far as the eye can see? Does Anne Applebaum favor a scorched-earth policy to "get even" with the nasty, hypocritical GOP? The new GOP candidates have nothing to do with the over-spending incumbents, just check out Chris Christie in New Jersey. He has kept his word regarding taxes and spending.

2. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

So the Dems are the only ones that own the deficit? No policies before they were in power went through to add to the deficit?

Also, anyone that voted for the war is responsible, D or R.

Can we get some rules in PRSI against these pathetic culture war threads?

3. PerfSeeker thread starter macrumors 6502a

My point is the new class of Republicans coming in don't have blood on their hands, they are actually taking measures to enforce some fiscal sanity. To hell with Bush, Gingrich and Hastert.

4. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

5. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I'd like to know the same.

Agreed. I thought this kind of thing was simply called trolling.

6. PerfSeeker thread starter macrumors 6502a

So all the left-wing threads you're ok with because you're left wing. :rolleyes:

7. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

So I followed your advice and checked out Chris Christie. He was a lobbyist. He lobbied for deregulation of New Jersey's electric and gas industry. He's accused of using his position to award lucrative no-bid contracts to friends and supporters. He's been in involved in some other misuses of his positions. But he's earned some praise too. Looks like he's a fairly typical politician.

8. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Which threads are they?

9. Ttownbeast macrumors 65816

I blame Thomas Paine, Ben Franklin, and Jefferson.....yah man its all their fault they created a nation we could have been comfy bitching at the British, and saying its all their fault.

I like Chris Christie, he gets the Black Macbook seal of approval. He is a no BS, straight talking, no nonsense guy who gets the job done.

11. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Please point to threads I'm OK with that have flame-baiting titles and subject matter, such as yours. This is also an editorial column, which is just an opinion.

Furthermore- there is no evidence to support your assertion that any "new" Republicans would be any more spend thrifty than their predecessors. Going back through history, Republicans always promise fiscal responsibility and almost never deliver.

12. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

If the reduction of the deficit is important, then do you support the expiry of George Bush's tax cuts in December on those earning over $250,000 and were paid for through deficit spending?

13. Queso macrumors G4

Now you're beginning to sound like that damned Barry Soetoro :D

14. Shivetya macrumors 65816

So far it appears to be a class of one.

15. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed, so far. But it is still early in his term, but hopefully he will carry this through the entire term.

16. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Yes, that is true. He is off to a good start at least.

I like this video where he answers a whiny teacher.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aw0aBkt8CPA

18. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

:tumbleweeds:

19. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Its like asking Fivepoint about the constitutionality of the USAF :).

20. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

And let us clarify to this new class, inflation plus 1% annual increases to the profligate defense budget (yes, I know that word too) is not an austerity measure. Want to end big government? Can't start without addressing the $700B non-war spending and the emergency loans used to pay for the two wars....

21. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

And this "new" class still has the sleaze factor of the status quo Republicans.

22. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

I'm not sure where you got the idea that Applebaum wanted to "get even," instead her article rather her criticism is of the GOP which has suffered a collective amnesia about government spending. The article you linked to refers to her article from two weeks earlier that noted "the only thing Americans hate more than big government is the absence of government protection." Her second article was built on rebuttals from readers about the first—she says this specifically in the second paragraph.

That said, her criticism is about the GOP's amnesia with regard to its deficit spending which has been fundamentally massive and has, I would argue, necessitated the spending that Obama has engaged in.

The GOP spent 8 years (6 with control of both houses, 2 more with control of the executive branch and a minority hold in Congress) spending massively, but is now trying to shirk responsibility while calling Democrats the big spenders. The GOP is the guy who went on a two week long bender in Vegas with his friends wallets and is now arguing he should be everyone's accountant. Its this collective amnesia that's so problematic.

The new class of Republicans aren't criticizing the party leaders, much less mentioning the former President, who led this charge, rather they're aiming at Democrats (or liberals). This inability to honestly evaluate the party's relationship with power and money speaks to a serious and debilitating self-deception.

Democrats are at least honest in their spending, but the Republicans are still hungover and wondering where the hell that tattoo came from.

23. PerfSeeker thread starter macrumors 6502a

Democrats are not honest about anything.

24. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

I see it's going to be one of those discussions. I'll get my coat now.

25. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Discussion??? Please, whenever a republican starts a thread it gets to 5 posts and just turns into a "DEMS ARE THE WORST BECAUSE WE SAID SO" thread.

PRSI honestly is a joke.