Republican Party mis-leading the Nation

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by dogslobber, May 11, 2017.

1. dogslobber macrumors 68020

dogslobber

This Republican Party's President has just totally contradicted his Republican Administration minions. This is a classic case of showing that the Republican Party is lying its way through this whole charade. I think this is the beginning of the End of the Republican Party as the American people can never believe another Republican politician as they are liars.

2. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

You expect me to guess which of the thousands of contradictions you are referencing? Are you talking about Comey Sacking Day 1 vs Day 2? :p

3. jpietrzak8 macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

I think, at least from my own point of view, the sheer level of incompetence coming out of the Republican party is breath-taking. I'm not talking individuals here, but the party as a whole. I've more and more come to disagree with the policy directions taken on board by the party, but at least until recently, I've always had to admit that they were fairly brilliant in both selling those ideas to the public and in implementing them in government.

The problem isn't Trump (although he's certainly making a mess of things right now). Rather, it's the lack of a sustained vision of what the party wants to achieve that has allowed the party to fracture, introducing foreign elements like the Tea Party into the ranks. (This is not a strike against the Tea Party itself, but they are not the Republican Party; this has been shown again and again in how they usurp Republican efforts in Congress.) And this has also allowed people who care nothing about the Republican platform, such as Trump, to become candidates.

I often say that a party must strive to become a majority party to gain any power in this country. However, the Republicans are now showing that having a majority is not enough by itself, if your party has no clear idea of what they want to achieve.

4. SusanK macrumors 68000

The GOP wants to do their dirt. Trump is an instrument. GOP will let the entire country go to the devil before they will consider not having the dynasty building tax cut, defunding Social Security, voucherizing Medicare and abolishing Medicaid.

5. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Yeah, lets shove this health law no one likes, down their throats for the win! :oops:

6. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

So steal the democrats plan?

7. jpietrzak8 macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

Um, Trump is their instrument? I'm sorry, but I just don't see it. They may have wished that to be the case, but I've gotta believe that a competent Republican in the White House would have successfully marshaled an actual repeal of Obamacare through the Congress, and be well on their way towards tax reform at this point.

Trump has (a) unified the Democrats like nothing we've ever seen before, (b) poisoned the Republican side of Congress by continually insulting and threatening members for no good reason, and (c) failed to concentrate his time, energy, and political capital on getting landmark pieces of legislation through the Congress.

The AHCA is a sad, weaker mirror image of Obamacare, which neither removes most of the bits Republicans found egregious in the original bill, nor performs the only task that made Obamacare useful -- that is, getting more people insured. From a logical perspective, the bill is a pointless waste of time and effort. But with no effort made to gain support from voters or from Congress as a whole, and a thoroughly incompetent White House, it's the best the GOP could do...

The time wasted on this bill, and the hijinks being performed by the Trump administration, are significant roadblocks in the way of the GOP getting anything else done. The Republican party has won the battle for the presidency, but lost the war.
    --- Post Merged, May 11, 2017 ---
    I'm pretty sure they did; the AHCA is nowhere near "repeal Obamacare", more like "rename Obamacare".

8. SusanK macrumors 68000

GOP control Wh, Senate and House. Dems control___________

Call it what you wish.

9. Wild-Bill macrumors 68030

Wild-Bill

I think it's much, much more than untrustworthy republicans. The political establishment and political climate has reached such devisive levels that no one can respectfully disagree with another persons opinion. And the corporate media spins the agenda of either the far left or far right and perpetuates the divide.

I think this entire system needs to be viewed at a macro level. The entire political system, from top to bottom, has become completely corrupted. The 2010 "Citizens United" ruling that allows for unlimited money in politics has been progressively eroding the democratic process. You have politicians voting on legislation they can't be bothered reading, written by lobbyists on behalf of corporations for their express benefit.

Talk to any of the baby boomers who experienced the turmoil of social change in the 1960's and ask them if the country was a better place then or now. My informal polling shows 100% of them say these are the worst times they can remember. These are sad times indeed.

10. jpietrzak8 macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

Oh, I agree completely! The Republican Party has successfully acquired control over the Federal government.

But they are accomplishing exactly nothing with it. Trump's flurry of EOs are mostly getting held up in the courts, and will be overridden by the next president in any case. The House is imploding just from its own attempt to mess with health care. The Senate has continued to push the "nuclear option" further, ensuring that everything they accomplish will be more easily overturned in the future.

They are not succeeding in truly reforming the government. Nor are they, as some people wished, managing to get rid of the government. All they seem to be doing is wasting all their time flailing around...

11. Chew Toy McCoy macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

The Republican Party got a lot more of their agenda accomplished when it had a Democratic president's face on it.

12. dogslobber thread starter macrumors 68020

dogslobber

The key point in all this is that the Republican Party and Trump are indistinguishable from one another. They are one in the same.

13. jpietrzak8 macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

If this were true, surely Trump would not be spending so much time insulting Republican congressmen, fighting with the speaker of the house, and constantly starting fires that distract from the policies that the GOP ostensibly wants to get passed.

I see Trump more as a ringer the GOP hired to win the championship round last year, only to find out now that he has no loyalty to the team...

14. Huntn, May 11, 2017
    Last edited: May 11, 2017

Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Hmm? Are you implying people don't like the ACA? They love it, but they want it fixed, not transformed into an unfriendly program as compared to before. Plus the GOP is robbing something like a $ billion in tax breaks going to the rich from the program.

15. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

They just like democrats:D

16. dogslobber thread starter macrumors 68020

dogslobber

His policies ARE those of the Republican Party. Just look at the Housing forcing through Obamacare repeal, with his cronies like sleetkit Ryan. The Republican Party are no good and he is their leader.
    Come on. You don't believe that; I know you don't, and you know we all know you know that.

17. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

So you are telling me democrats are indeed the party of war ??? Works for me. More countries bombed under obama than bush

18. dogslobber thread starter macrumors 68020

dogslobber

Bush is a war criminal. Obama ain't. Next.

19. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Yes he is. He continued the bush war crimes .

20. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Isn't that exactly what the Democrats did with The Affordable Healthcare Act?

21. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Maybe. :) 20 million were happy to get insurance. AHCA is worse by most counts and they want to rob a huge amount of money from the program.
    No one of legal significance agrees with you.

22. oneMadRssn, May 11, 2017
    Last edited: May 11, 2017

oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

Mark Salter, who is about as Republican as they come, who was John McCain's top aid, advisor, and speech writer, who ran McCain's 2008 campaign, had this to say the other day:

[​IMG]

Again, let that sink in for a moment. The security of the Unites States: Democratic Congress in 2018.

This is a very respected member of the Republican party, who has the experience and the chops to knows what he is talking about.
    What a load of bull. Get your facts straight.
    • February 2009 - First draft of the ACA was unveiled.
    • Many months of debate continue.
    • November 2009 - House approves a bill.
    • December 2009 - Senate approves a different bill.
    • Debate continues for many months.
    • March 2010 - House approves Senate's version of the bill with tweaks, and Obama signs it.
    ACA: 13 months from start to finish is the most conservative way to count it.

ACA: 9 months from first draft to House vote on the ACA.
    AHCA: 1.5 months from first draft to House vote on the ACHA.

ACA: During the entire process, nothing was approved by anyone without first receiving a CBO score.
    AHCA: Pushed through without a CBO score.

ACA: Obama gave many detailed speeches explaining minuet details of the bill to the public during the entire 13 month debate process.
    AHCA: Trump has no idea what is in the bill, can't get a single fact straight, yet is still lobbying for it.

It's no comparison. Look at the facts. ACA was responsibly debated. AHCA is truly being shoved down our throats.

Most importantly, NOBODY wants AHCA. Doctors hate it. Insurance companies hate it. Retired people hate it.

The following groups are against it. Is there anyone who is for it? Other than MAGA hat morons?
    • The AARP
    • American Hospital Association
    • Federation of American Hospitals
    • America's Essential Hospitals
    • Families USA
    • The American Medical Association
    • American Nurses Association
    • American College of Physicians
    • National Nurses United
    • National Physicians Alliance
    • Association of American Physicians and Surgeons
    • American Academy of Pediatrics
    • Heritage Action
    • Cato Institute
    • Americans for Prosperity
    • FreedomWorks
    • Tea Party Patriots
    • Club for Growth
    • MoveOn.org
    • American Bridge
    • Center for American Progress
    • Our Revolution

Attached Files:

23. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Fine. Source the bush war crimes

24. SusanK macrumors 68000

It's been less than 4 months. They are in a much better position than we are.