Republican Politician Introduces Bill to Allow Sex Offenders at Schools And Playgroun

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by steve knight, Feb 23, 2014.

1. steve knight, Feb 23, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 24, 2014

steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

I keep hoping they can't get any more stupid and they just keep doing it.

http://www.addictinginfo.org/2014/02/23/bill-allow-sex-offenders-schools/

2. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Stupid idea of course, but I do think a hard look needs to be taken at sex offender laws though. Someone who winds up on the sex offender registry because they were pissing in an alley behind the bar shouldn't be prevented from taking their kid to the playground.

3. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

The Republican sounds stupid as usual. :p However, I think they should revisit these laws too. Such as, a case might be when a 17/18 year old and his 16 year old girl friend have consensual sex and the 17/18 year old is marked as a sexual predator for life. Personally I don't see that. But if there is reasonable criteria to designate a sexual predator, I don't see allowing them near schools, at all.

4. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

The far right is making things easier for Democrats.

5. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Yeah, there are plenty of problems with our sex offender laws that need to be fixed, but this isn't a good way of doing it.

6. Wild-Bill macrumors 68030

Wild-Bill

This is the kind of thing I like to see.

The republicans have become adept at Gerry Mandering, influencing elections with money, accepting money from unsavory corporate interests, et. al.

This is the kind of crazy that will hopefully help to undo some of that.

7. lannister80 macrumors 6502

lannister80

Unpopular opinion time:

I think there should be no special restrictions on sex offenders once their parole period expires. Yes, even "real" sex offenders, not just the guys who got on the list by peeing.

This scarlet letter crap has got to stop. If they're dangerous, keep them in prison forever.

8. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Yeah this is a big problem.

----------

I disagree. Should people convicted of domestic violence be allowed to buy guns?

9. lannister80 macrumors 6502

lannister80

Eventually, yes. After a certain period of time. How long? That's up for discussion, but not decades.

10. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Not every sex offender is a pedophile.

QFT. Sexually harassing a co-worker by playfully smacking her ass in the breakroom definitely crosses the line and makes you a douche, but it doesn't mean you want to diddle little kids.

11. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I don't necessarily disagree with this, but it would require a lot of things to be changed on order for it to work. Maybe they have a sentence that they serve, and then after that they have a chance for parole every few years if they can show that they have reformed.

I would think if they got on the list for being an actual pedophile, and not just someone who was arrested for sleeping with their high school girlfriend when they are a senior in high school, that there should be a flag that comes up during a background check if they are trying to work with children though.

12. steve knight thread starter macrumors 68020

steve knight

the sex offenders registry is part of their sentence. The rate that sex offenders (not the mooning or willing underage sex kind) tend to be repeat offenders is about 25 percent over time.

13. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

link to actual bill? I did not see it in the article.

14. lannister80 macrumors 6502

lannister80

I guess I don't understand why sex offenders are "special" in this regard.

When a murderer gets out of prison (and they frequently do after, what, 25 years?), are they barred from interacting with any people at all, in case they murder them? Of course not.

15. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Who the hell loiters around playgrounds anyway ?

:confused:

16. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

because the only cure for a sex offender is a hot lead injection to the skull, we don't do that often, another cure requires a tourniquet to the neck, but we don't apply that either.

17. lannister80 macrumors 6502

lannister80

So murder is a lesser crime in your opinion, then?

OT - The death penalty is barbaric, disgusting, and has no place in an advanced society.

18. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

keep them behind bars forever, I can settle for that.

19. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

As long as we are talking about political idiots at schools.

Kevin Jennings comes to mind.

20. TheHateMachine macrumors 6502a

TheHateMachine

I'm sure prison owners like the sound of that too. More money!

21. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

you are welcomed to house as many as you like.

22. TheHateMachine macrumors 6502a

TheHateMachine

If the US Government wants to pay me $35k a year per person and subsidize my building costs to expand my house, secure my house with bars/security systems, arms and guards... sure I will do it.

Hell I can even lobby at that point to eradicate the death penalty, fight against decriminalizing weed and further expand gun control laws to make sure I get even more people in my prison. You see... I don't want to fix crime. Naw, I wanna make more things illegal and have long sentences so I get paid more... ya dig?

23. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Don't be ridiculous. You don't have to do any of those things to get paid. Most private prison contracts guarantee minimum occupancy rates.

24. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

I'm not sure what your point is here. The point of that kind of rule is to discourage further offenses. It's there to prevent them from remaining a burden on society after release. I don't see how it's a better alternative to just kill all felons convicted of violent or sexual crimes, especially when the system of conviction is not fail-proof.

25. TheHateMachine macrumors 6502a

TheHateMachine

That is honestly pretty insane that taxpayers foot the bill for unfilled private prison rooms. It is like some bizarro Priceline.com for prisons.

"When prisons can't book their rooms, you buy the extra ones and you have no choice!"