Republican Presidential Primary Debate

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by tshrimp, Sep 17, 2015.

1. tshrimp macrumors 6502

tshrimp

For those who watched the debates last night I thought I would ask a few questions and put in my 2 cents.

Who benefited the most from the debate?
    I say probably Carly Fiorina

Who won the debate?
    Not sure here. Still thinking about this.

Who looked like the biggest jack wagon?
    Doubt any debate on this one...Trump

Who did the worst?
    Hard one as every time I think Trump should take a dive because of his comments he goes up. So, although I would say Trump in a real world, this crazy world I can't. So probably Kasich or Paul.

What outsider had the most actual government knowledge? (bring this up because a lot of popular republicans have not been involved as much as the insiders)
    Easy one here. Carly Fiorina

Which Washington insider had the most government knowledge?
    Rubio and Cruz. Walker I thought also seemed better than I expected here.

Feel free to add any other questions. These are just ones I thought of.

Now for the statement part.

This was the worst set of questions I have ever heard during a debate. I would say something like 70% were strictly setup to get certain opponents to argue with one another in more of a personal attack rather than a debate on the topics. I could care less what Carly thought about trumps comment on her looks during a debate. BTW...much better looking woman than he is a man. This is a fair enough question from the media writing an article, but a debate question it, as well as many others, was just a bad question IMO. With the questions that were trying to spark personal attacks I thought the candidates did a good job of not giving into it...most of the time.

Thoughts on the debate.

2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I think Fiorina 'won' the debate but she lied a lot such as her bogus PP screed.

Loved seeing Trump's face turn red when confronted. Was clear to me he doesn't know/understand foreign affairs.

Scott Walker, just give it up already. Same with liar Ted Cruz who refused to debate and just spouted his usual rhetoric.

Rubio obviously did his studying but he's running for VP. He's not ready to be POTUS.

Frankly, I think they all looked bad in the end.

3. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

My thoughts...

Too many candidates. An 11 person debate is ridiculous.

I liked that the candidates were pitted against each other. That is why we are having the debates, to see the differences between them.

I think Fiorina did well, I especially liked her response concerning Planned Parenthood.

I don't think that the minor candidates did enough to really help themselves. Christie, Paul, Cruz, Kasich aren't going to last too much longer.

Really like Carson. Soft spoken, well mannered, and great answers.

Trump looked really foolish with his "I'll get along" with Putin answer.

4. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Trump looked like an idiot. It's hard to evaluate someone who gets 9 minutes of time with a field this large. I think if Kasich went 1 on 1 or if there was only 4 candidates he'd mop the floor with them all, Christie the same. I think the biggest soundbite happened in the JV debate when, believe it or not, Santorum said the GOP needs to stop focusing on the CEO and entrepreneurs and start focusing on what is going to help those working in the businesses. They make up the bulk of the voters, not the CEO's.

5. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

6. tshrimp thread starter macrumors 6502

tshrimp

You are very correct .... way too many candidates.

I don't mind them pitted against one another at all. It was the questions that were used to do it. The Russia question was great, but the appearance of Fiorina as a question to pit Trump vs Fiorina I don't like. I am watching to see their views on the issues. They did hit on some good topics such as Russia, Immigration, etc. and those were good no doubt.

Carson was Carson. Stated his views, professional, well mannered (take notes Trump), stayed on point and didn't try and side step any questions.

Totally agree on Russia. It was actually comical when that was his solution to Russia. This is also where Fiorina surprised me. She had a great, well thought out answer IMO. Made Trump's answer look even worse.

I admit it is rare that a debate sways my opinion on the candidates, but this one is the exception. I now see why Fiorina and Carson have been climbing.

The moderator should have also given more of an equal time between the candidates.

http://www.npr.org/sections/itsallpolitics/2015/09/16/440827414/on-the-clock-who-spoke-the-longest

7. sodapop1 Suspended

sodapop1

Fiorina will probably get the biggest bump from the debate.

Trump's performance was absolutely pathetic but I doubt he'll lose much support because most of his supporters are pathetic anyway. After the debate, he did look very flustered.

Carson looked the most detached and some of his answers were incoherent. His message seemed to be "I really don't know anything, I'm just trying to be the nice guy."

Rubio did the best on foreign policy but he was notably nervous and sweating like a pig when he got asked his first question.

8. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Can we please change the thread title? There was nothing resembling 'Presidential" in that debate.

9. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Let me guess, you'd prefer something with "American Dick" in the title?:rolleyes:

10. tshrimp thread starter macrumors 6502

tshrimp

11. sodapop1 Suspended

sodapop1

How about the "misfits"?

12. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Nah, Republican Primary Debate would suffice although there was a lot of dickish behavior and answers last night. Thanks for noticing.

13. tshrimp thread starter macrumors 6502

tshrimp

We all know you hate the republicans. Lincoln could be up there giving the Gettysburg Address and it would be a farce to you. Wondering how well Hillary Clinton is doing in her debates :).

14. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Couldn't care less about Hillary. Actually, not true, I care about the Republicans less.

15. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

She won't debate until the email probe gets buried! Plus I would love a three way debate between Hillary, Bernie S, and Joe! That would be a show!

16. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

That would be a true clown car.

17. tshrimp thread starter macrumors 6502

tshrimp

That would be comedic gold. Any time Biden is on stage you never know what you are going to get.

18. sodapop1 Suspended

sodapop1

Groper and Chief?

19. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Jesus Christ that's creepy.

20. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Yet, those supporting the Reds here voted this in for POTUS twice:

[​IMG]

Not sayin', but I'm trying to say... :rolleyes:

BL.

21. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

George looks nervous.

"Herr Bush! You vill massage me! Macht schell!!"

22. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

He used to rub Cheney's feet. ;)

23. zin macrumors 6502

Lots of talk about the military, sending warships and planes to conduct "aggressive" patrols against Russia; re-building a missile system in Poland; using "tremendous force" in Syria; and ripping up the Iran agreement on day one. Further nonsense about the Supreme Court "making up laws" concerning same-sex marriage. Not to mention the theatrics and downright distortion surrounding abortion and Planned Parenthood.

Strangely lacking on other issues like healthcare, the working and middle classes, poverty, education, etc.

What a mess the entire lineup is. I have to say, however, that Kasich did inject common sense into the debate at multiple points, as he did in the first debate. His comments hardly garnered any applause, unlike the others, though. Says it all about the Republican base.

24. Robisan macrumors 6502