Republican Race for President a Little Less Frothy

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by rdowns, Feb 3, 2016.

1. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Santorum will be "suspending" his campaign later today and they say he's going to endorse someone.

Why can't these guys say they're ending their campaigns?

2. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

Why should they?

Nasrudin was caught in the act and sentenced to die. Hauled up before the king, he was asked by the Royal Presence: "Is there any reason at all why I shouldn't have your head off right now?" To which he replied: "Oh, King, live forever! Know that I, the mullah Nasrudin, am the greatest teacher in your kingdom, and it would surely be a waste to kill such a great teacher. So skilled am I that I could even teach your favorite horse to sing, given a year to work on it." The king was amused, and said: "Very well then, you move into the stable immediately, and if the horse isn't singing a year from now, we'll think of something interesting to do with you."

As he was returning to his cell to pick up his spare rags, his cellmate remonstrated with him: "Now that was really stupid. You know you can't teach that horse to sing, no matter how long you try." Nasrudin's response: "Not at all. I have a year now that I didn't have before. And a lot of things can happen in a year. The king might die. The horse might die. I might die.

"And, who knows? Maybe the horse will sing."​

3. maxsix Suspended

maxsix

Being a high level elected official is particularly appealing for a good number of politicians. The Power, Money, and Public Recognition are addicting. Many will risk everything to grab the chance to win the election and live their dreams.

4. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I think suspending it allows them to jump back in in the future if some major scandal comes out with the presumptive nominee, or if there was another assassination of a candidate like there was with RFK. Also it might be a way of saying that they are open to being a compromise candidate in the event of a brokered convention.

5. sodapop1 Suspended

sodapop1

The Iowa casualties...first Huckabee, then Paul and now Santorum. At least they'll be able to fit the remaining group of misfits on one debate stage.

6. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Pizzazz, Roxy, and Stormer take offense to that remark! :p

BL.

7. rdowns thread starter macrumors Penryn

rdowns

The fact that he endorsed Rubio (and couldn't name a single accomplishment of his, lmao) should put an end to the Rubio is a moderate talk.

8. nightcap965 macrumors 6502a

nightcap965

9. rdowns thread starter macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Saw an interview with her last night. She is seriously delusional.

10. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

I doubt he believes in Rubio. I'm guessing he's forecasting the Nominee and angling for a plum assignment.

Frankly, if I'm Rubio, this actually lets me begin to focus on the middle. If enough of Santorum's folks follow the lead, that's something to begin undercutting Trump and Cruz without having to challenge them in their niches.

11. rdowns thread starter macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Santorum has folks?

12. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

1783 of them. That's somewhere in the neighborhood of irrelevant, but if the GOP primary becomes a Hillary-Obama or Hillary-Bernie style race, they may start to count.

13. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Suspending sounds less final, then ending as if it sounds less of a failure.

14. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

I completely forgot about her.

15. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Has Jim Gilmore dropped out yet? I wasn't sure why he was still in there at all.

16. rdowns thread starter macrumors Penryn

rdowns

He got all of 12 votes in Iowa.

17. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Yeah that's why I was thinking he should be the next to drop out if he hasn't already. He isn't even doing well enough to put himself in contention for VP.

18. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Something to do with taxes and campaign contributions, I think.

19. Robisan macrumors 6502

Turn out the lights, the grift is over...

...until he oozes out to be a (s)tool again in 2020.

20. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

AP is reporting that Fiorina has just dropped out of the race. Christie is next to drop, as they are reporting his decision as 'imminent'.

BL.

21. nfl46 macrumors 603

About time...now, I am waiting on Carson to drop out. This race for the GOP nomination is finally shaping up!

I guess she can finally spend more time with her husband. :laughs:

22. sodapop1 Suspended

sodapop1

Too bad, it would have been nice if Christie stayed in the race for at least another debate or two. I would have enjoyed watching him attack Trump and Cruz on the debate stage now that he has nothing to lose. Talk about some good theater.

23. Roric macrumors regular

He didn't make the cut for Saturday's debate and he blew all his money on NH.

24. Strider64 macrumors regular

Strider64

If funny how Obama gets elected President (Twice) and before he was elected President he didn't accomplish a thing. An funny how Rubio is nailed for supposedly the same thing. There's a double standard. This isn't a sprint, it's a marathon. I'm not counting out Rubio, but things aren't looking very well on the GOP side and I could careless on the Democrat side. If things don't shape up, I'll just vote Libertarian this election like I did the last election. This is how I would vote on the following match-ups.

Trump -vs- Clinton (I'll would reluctantly vote for Clinton, figuring she would just be like Bill and do nothing in Office causing no harm)
    Rubio -vs- Clinton (Rubio)
    Cruz -vs- Clinton (Clinton - see above)
    Cruz -vs- Sanders (Voting Libertarian)
    Trump -vs - Sanders (Most likely voting Libertarian)
    Rubio -vs- Clinton (Rubio)

Highly unlikely matchups

Bush -vs- Clinton (Bush)
    Kasich -vs- Clinton (Clinton)

25. sodapop1 Suspended

sodapop1

Thanks, that makes sense.