Republican Rep: Eleven Year Old Raped Because She Was "Dressed Like a Prostitute"

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by leekohler, Mar 16, 2011.

1. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Can these people please go away? Aren't we all tired of being embarrassed by them?

I know I am.

http://blogs.browardpalmbeach.com/juice/2011/03/eleven_year_old_raped_because.php

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Pretty sad that someone would say such a thing in such a case :(. I mean she's 11 and there were 18 of them.

Its a long way from even a "typical" "she deserved it" case where the woman in question is usually drunk and at a club/bar. Not that it is appropriate in that case either, but this is a really shocking case.

3. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

I'm beginning to believe the term "sentient mammals" is more appropriately applied to dolphins than humans. At least the (R) kind.

Dolphins aid dog rescue

Dale

4. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

I see they're using the "she was begging for it" defense.

5. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

I think you're probably right. This woman probably could have been in the room when it happened and still blame it on the girl.

6. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

Wow...I could give a damn what she was wearing she isn't asking to be raped.

It's interesting how similar hardcore Christian conservatives are to hardcore conservative Muslims.

7. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Of course she didn't. But certainly if one was dressed as a 21 year old prostitute they'd get much more attention from whomever would commit a rape.

How is that? Christians are making their women wear burkhas now?

8. torbjoern macrumors 65816

torbjoern

Her clothes said it was ok... so it's that eleven-year-old girl's fault?

9. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

My thoughts exactly, but expressed before I could issue them. ;)

We have the Taliban, but in nice suits.

10. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

There is a similar case in which a teen brought her 7 year old sister to an apartment where she was gang-raped for money. The case is falling apart due to lack of evidence. They probably all wore rubbers.

A girl pimped her 7 year old sister. Animals don't do stuff like this.

TRENTON — City police have charged a 15-year-old girl as an accomplice to the gang rape of her 7-year-old sister.

Trenton, NJ

Dale

11. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

:d:d

12. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

11...21...31...whatever the age ones mode of attire is not an invitation or deterrent to rape. I swear some of the characters are straight out of "The Handmaid's Tale".

13. Andeavor macrumors 6502

Unfortunately, in many cases it is.

There are many despicable men out there I would gladly hit over the head with a baseball bat, but when a woman finds herself violated or raped after dressing up like a Las Vegas showgirl on a coffee break she shouldn't be surprised of being accused having instigated it in some way.

14. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

So now women girls are required to wear certain clothing things for their own protection?

To place the blame for rape, sexual assault on women is ob-seen. Not only that but it propagates some of the ideas which encourage sexual assault. The idea that a women is "asking for it" because of how they dress.

Stating that a girl/women caused her own rape because of what she was wearing is exactly what Islamic extremists say when a women is assaulted for failing to wear her burka...

15. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

She maybe shouldn't be surprised but that doesn't make the accusation any less wrong.

If you walk through a bad neighborhood at 3:00AM and you are robbed and murdered your behavior was certainly unwise. Does that mean you hold responsibility for your murder?

Would you suggest that we vindicate your attacker because you made a bad decision?

16. SidBala macrumors 6502a

So if she was really a 21 year old prostitute, the gang rape is okay then?

17. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

Before Lee's undies self-contort into yet another sheepshank, why don't we go to the sources rather than a secondhand blog?

The NYT covered the story (sorry, couldn't find the original).

The part of the article relevant to the topic at hand:
    Note that this is most likely from where the representative from Florida got her information and was paraphrasing, albeit with poor word choice.

Now then, a follow up from the NYT public editor:
    Of course, this begs the question of why a publication as liberal as the NYT would want to break with a generation or more of tradition and even hint at the insinuation that the victim was to blame?

For that, we have to go to the UK's Daily Mail

I guess the Times was stuck between blaming the victim and having another Jena 6 story on their hands.

18. R.Perez macrumors 6502

R.Perez

Rape is about power and domination. Not about sex. it does not matter one f..ing bit what any woman was wearing.

19. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

If I dress like a nerd is it ok for people to give me wedgies, tape "kick me" signs on my back and give me swirlies in the bathroom? Was I asking for it?

20. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

A poor word choice is not to go from this:
    to this:

The Times described a situation; Rep. Passidomo used that horrible situation to justify her stance on school uniforms by making the pernicious inference that wardrobe choices could lead to rape.

Similar thinking in Afghanistan and Iran leads women to wear burkhas, lest men become so incensed at the shape of an ankle or nape that they cannot help themselves. These cultures hold women, and not the rat bastards who commit the act, responsible. And Passidomo is using the exact same logic.

21. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Well, that's what you get for wearing a Star Trek uniform.

22. chris200x9 macrumors 6502a

The event in itself is incredibly despicable and very sad, but to add insult to injury by saying something unbelievably stupid and downright mean? Seriously do these people think before they speak? All I can say is wtf is wrong with people.

23. MyDesktopBroke macrumors 6502

Well, there's that whole "take our personal religious values and use it as the basis for laws that we will then project onto a larger, diverse population and prosecute those who go against such values, even if they have no moral value outside the purview of said religion."

But other than that, yeah. I don't see it.

24. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

There goes CorvusCamenarum, messing up a perfectly good party with so-called "research."

Don't you understand? We only look into original sources if the OP is anti-Democrat.

Jeez.

25. CaoCao macrumors 6502a

I know right? Christians are totally equivalent in women's clothing to Muslims. I mean, asking for the skirts to be to their knees, for them to not see midriff, or parts of the breast is totally equivalent to making the wear burkhas. And then there is the audacity to ask for them to not be exposed to butt crack on the beach, simply appalling their curtailing of freedom!