Republican Sen. Rob Portman Comes Out for Gay Marriage

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by likemyorbs, Mar 15, 2013.

1. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

March on, progress, march on. I'm happy the GOP is starting to have a reality check concerning gay rights. This civil rights issue needs to come to and end asap. Very proud of this senator for being true to his beliefs. Link

Also, I ask everyone to please watch this music video and listen to the lyrics. It beautifully summarizes why so many of us are such vocal supporters of gay marriage...

2. eric/ Guest

eric/

good to hear. It's his son who is gay right? Not him?

3. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

I applaud him. To stand up in the face of what he knew would be a backlash and do what was right isn't easy.

It's also not easy to admit you are wrong. Especially publicly.

Hopefully more Republicans, who may feel the same way but are afraid to cross the party "line", stand up as well. It's time.

4. likemyorbs thread starter macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Yep. And he reacted like any loving parents with a sense of right and wrong should react. When homosexuality hits close to home, people tend to change their views quickly.

5. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I'd have a lot more respect for him if he had changed his position before all the talk of him being Romney's running mate as his son came out 2 years ago. That and the fact that he couched it all in ****ing conservative dogma. Other than that, good for him.

6. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

The pathetic thing about all of this was that he supported denying civil rights to other people until he found out his son was one of them.

7. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Pathetic, while I agree, is a bit too harsh. Sad, absolutely.

Ironic is the best word to fit the deed.

But I also do applaud him as he knows that this may cost him his job next election, but that versus standing up for his beliefs and belief in family say a lot more about his character than towing the conservative line ever would.

If he loses the Senate race the next time his comes up for election, and this being the main cause, I'd call this a Pyrrhic victory.

BL.

8. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

You're probably right, but I'd have a lot more respect for the guy if he changed his position just because it's the right thing to do (like many of other other politicians recently, including the President) and not just because he found out his son was gay.

9. eric/ Guest

eric/

Maybe this is what it took for him to realize he was wrong?

10. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

Unfortunately, and I speak from experience, this is what it takes sometimes. Annoying, yes, but a reality we have to deal with. And as much as I'd like to tell the guy to fu** off, it really is better late than never. (politics aside, even if it effected the when).

11. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Well, duh, but that was my whole point. It's pathetic it took someone in his immediate family coming out as gay to realize that he was denying rights to a big group of Americans for no legitimate reason in a country founded on the principle that "ALL MEN ARE CREATED EQUAL".

12. likemyorbs thread starter macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Honestly, I don't care what it took to change his opinion. I'm just glad he changed it and when the next gay rights bills comes to a vote, it will be a "Yea" for him, and that's all that really counts.

13. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

Pathetic? Yes. However, at the end of the day he decided to do the right thing. He could just as easily never said anything publicly. It would have been much easier for him professionally.

It's hard for me to villify anyone who comes out on our side. Especially those who were against us. A change like this helps us even more sometimes than those who are supportive from the beginning. It's just hard for me to be negative towards the guy.

14. anonymouslurker macrumors regular

Or, maybe it's pathetic for people to keep lambasting someone else who eventually did the right thing.

Seems to me that attitudes like yours would only discourage people from doing the right thing, making them take even longer to come around.

15. likemyorbs thread starter macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Agree completely. The guy did the right thing, even if it took him too long. Better late than never, he certainly should not be vilified.

16. eric/ Guest

eric/

Also agree. It makes it even worse/scarier to change your opinion and realize you're wrong when you'll be disowned by both sides.

17. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

I agree.

It would be easy for Portman to ignore his son's predicament for a few more years of political haymaking. And, he didn't do it quietly, instead he wrote an Op-Ed and stepped right into the lion's maw of a major political fight.

Ultimately, I think it will help him politically, but he's taken a risk that many politicians (Dick Cheney) never did.

18. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

It's funny how quick people were to forget Dick Cheney in this issue. He was pro gay rights in 2009. Yeah, it was too late, but he honestly was way ahead of the game for politicians of the time (even moderate Dems were hesitant at that point).

But he was into big oil, so we should hate him.:rolleyes:

19. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

This is ahistorical. First, it was widely known that Dick Cheney's daughter was gay in 2000 and the Bush campaign said that such conversations about the issue were "off-limits." And, he was quiet about the Federal Marriage Amendment Act, even though he joined the Republican Unity Coalition in 2002 (which he left in 2004 to run the re-election campaign.).

Second, hating Dick Cheney for his relationship to big oil is like hating Darth Vader because he flew a TIE fighter.

No, I hate Cheney because he led the campaign for the US to torture prisoners (or send them elsewhere to be tortured), the creation of military tribunals, the PATRIOT Act, secret wiretap programs, and the invasion of Iraq. And, he did all of this while making his friends rich and fluffing his own nest.

20. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

So I can't call the guy out because he clearly only made this decision once it personally affected him?

He continually turned a blind eye to discrimination until it was his own son that was being affected. He gets credit for having the balls to do this which could very well cost him his job, but he doesn't deserve nearly as much credit as the others who did the right thing because it was the right thing to do.

There are loads of other politicians who came around on this issue and did the right thing without any kind of personal incentives. They are the ones who really deserve the credit.

21. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

The guy just jeopardized his political career because (apparently) he loves and supports his son.

If the Reps want to win elections, they need more of this to happen, as there are a TON of young, socially liberal professionals who KNOW that marriage should be a universal right but also know that the gov gives away too much of their tax dollars.

22. anonymouslurker macrumors regular

You can say whatever you'd like, I'm not saying that you can't.

I'm just pointing out that this is an issue with a lot of younger people who have no life experience...
    They're just so "100% certain that this is the way things should be, and anyone who thinks differently is wrong and stupid and doesn't deserve any forgiveness for things they may have thought in the past but now think differently", (not saying you've said those exact words, but your post history certainly implies it), while not having been out in the real world enough to know that an attitude like that does more harm than good.

Simply my two cents.

23. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Just heard some talking head say something I felt worth sharing, especially given my and others harsh treatment of Portman. He said, Portman should be applauded. He found out his son was gay 2 years ago and came around. My father found out 25 years ago and still hasn't.

24. eric/ Guest

eric/

Or he didn't think it was discrimination until he saw it first hand. It's not easy to just up and change what you think, when you've believed something your whole life.

25. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

That's harsh. Mine took a few years, and I know it was hard for him. Fortunately for younger generations, it's becoming less and less of a problem. The writing is on the wall for the R. Party, opposition to gay marriage will cost them more votes than it will gain them.