Republican Voters overwhelmingly reject Trump, a warning to conservatives.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by PracticalMac, Nov 22, 2016.

1. PracticalMac, Nov 22, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2017

PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Republican Voters overwhelmingly reject Trump, a warning to conservatives.

I am tired of certain posters here who blame every protest or disagreement on "liberals"
    I am tired not because of what they say, but because they are completely oblivious to the reality.

I live in Fort Bend county, one of the REDest counties outside the red city (for now) of Houston in the very red state of Texas. This is also the heart of US Congressional district 22, and the past home of Tom Delay, the representative who was highly active in Congress (and Speaker) during the Clinton presidency into Bush 2.

It is the location of Sugar land and Missouri City, ranks as one of the top cities in the USA. The Riverstone and Sienna Plantation has many very high $$$$ houses in gated communities.
    It is home to many elites of the area; CEO's, lawyers, doctors.

They voted for John McCain in 2008 (51% vs 48.5 Obama)
    They voted for Mitt Romney in 2012 (53% vs 46% Obama)

Fort Bend County overwhelming voted for Hillary Clinton in 2016, 51 percent to 45! "The Democrat received 17,263 more votes than Donald Trump, even though Trump won Texas and the nation." I only saw 1 yard sign for Trump (I usually see dozens for Republican candidates). Here is another report by local paper Fort Bend Star.
    HOWEVER:
    ALL of the other races went Republican (except one for state office).

Yes, the Republicans here deliberately rejected Trump.

Trumps win is not Red vs Blue, its a win of hopes vs status quo.

==============================
    Update per DreDaHilp1 request:

Obama won 2008 Primary by 62%, land slide over Hillary 37%.
    8 years ago Fort Bend would tar and feather Hillary, this year (2016) they welcome her into homes.
    More to show how educated mainstream Republicans reject Trump.

2016 FB results. (Trump) 96,020 47.37% (Clinton) 103,630 51.13% (199,650 total)
    2008 FB results (McCain) 50.9% 102,846 (Obama) 48.6% 98,136 (200,982 = 1,332 less)
    Clinton won with 784 votes more than McCain in 2008

2. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Now show us the '08 and '12 results for Obama vs. the '16 results for Clinton.

3. PracticalMac, Nov 22, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2016

PracticalMac thread starter macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

I added it to OP.

Note that Romney beat Obama by 7%, so Clinton beating Trump by 6% is nearly 180 degree reversal.

Is that what you wanted? All the resulted from 08, 12, and 16 are up there.

4. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

You're right in that there were a lot of establishment GOP voters who went for Clinton (and then went GOP down-ticket). She had made it clear she could work across the aisle which in prez-speak still means work with K-street on legislation. The party has been divided for awhile though and the more Tea Party side GOP voters went for Trump, even if they too voted GOP down ticket (which makes less sense for them when you think about it, which they seemed not to have done).

I live in a deeply broke and deeply red district in upstate NY and the Trump vote was 2-1 but the GOP vote is pretty much Tea, and they also went 2-1 in the open seat for congress for some hack GOP congresscritter over a progressive dem who had a lot of name recognition from having won 30 counties in a primary against Gov. Cuomo last time out that box.

So that topside vote for Clinton in your bit of Texas (and in a lot of other well heeled places) was definitely an establishment GOP vote. What's ironic is that they know Trump's not all that conservative. They actually voted against him on the competence issue and felt comfortable doing it because Clinton's no flaming leftie on fiscal issues or anything else. They counted on keeping both houses Republican to keep her in check if she won.

Now they have an interesting dilemma. Ignoring the president they didn't vote for, and pressuring the Congress for their interests? The Senate is problematic for them because the red margin is slim and some of them lean Dem on a few issues. K street is still where the action will be.

5. tunerX Suspended

tunerX

Isn't the election over?

Was it that republican voters overwhelmingly reject trump or is it that bible thumping social conservatives in bible belt county overwhelmingly reject trump?

6. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

Your thread title might have merit if Trump lost the election.
    You're trying to attribute the results of one county to that of all Republicans. That's stretching it a bit don't you think?

It's predicted that Texas will turn blue again with the influx of people from blue states. (Texas voted predominantly Democrat up until 1980)
    Texas has only voted 4 times for a Republican between 1848 and 1980.

Arizona is facing a similar change. We have a lot of California transplants moving here and they are slowly trying to turn AZ into another screwed up copy of California.

7. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

No sorry. I wasn't trying to be argumentative. I was asking for Obama vs Hillary vote comparisons like you showed for McCain, Romney, Trump. i.e. '12 Obama 75% '16 Clinton 60% something like that.
    What I was hoping to show with those numbers is that Trumps win/Hillarys lose is not solely based on Republicans.

8. R.Perez macrumors 6502

R.Perez

My mother-in-law voted democrat for the first time in her life because Trump's rhetoric scared the ever living **** out of her.

9. PracticalMac thread starter macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Just proving the strange nature of this election.

Actually, its not over. Official casting of ballot has yet to happen.
    And while there is bible bashes here, its not that big of a group.

Pointing out that establishment Republicans don't like Trump.

And what you mean by:
    "Texas has only voted 4 times for a Republican between 1848 and 1980."???

That will take some time to find (and I don't see how it helps you, especially if Obama won in 2008)
    And I know that Trumps win was based on crossing party lines.

I am saying anyone who thinks Trump won only due to Party support is wrong.

10. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Voter turn out is what I was looking for. Sorry I poorly explained what I was looking for. How many votes did Obama get vs. how many did Clinton get. Does that make more sense? I don't think it was 100% crossing party lines, I think it had to do with this being a polarizing election with two poor choice candidates. Voters that may have voted for Obama in '08 and '12 chose not to vote for Clinton. That and crossing party lines probably played the biggest part in the Clinton defeat.

I can't say that anyone here at least has said that.

11. PracticalMac thread starter macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Here, Obama won by 62% over Hillary in 2008

2016 FB results. (Trumo) 96,020 47.37% (Clinton) 103,630 51.13%

2008 FB results (in there) (McCain) 50.9% 102,846 (Obama) 48.6% 98,136

Clinton won by more than McCain in 2008

12. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

13. PracticalMac thread starter macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Sir. And thank you for being a considerate poster.

I added some numbers to OP.
    One could say there is some crossing of party lines in favor of Clinton in this case, but also a lower turnout from 2008.

14. DearthnVader macrumors 6502

DearthnVader

We could see the emergence of the Brown state in old Mexico.

15. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

What do you mean, like the NRP? -- the precursor of the PRI, where there was basically the one national party in Mexico after '29 and everything was arranged (not to say negotiated exactly) without formal political opposition, even though there was a Constitution and electoral process?

(like... K street minus our rubberstamp houses, if things keep going that way?)

16. DearthnVader macrumors 6502

DearthnVader

I was talking about the states in the US that we took from Mexico, I wasn't clear. Forgot "old Mexico" already had a meaning, but I think I coined the term " Brown state".

I didn't define brown state, but it would refer to states that will soon have a major Hispanic voting block, on that Democrats and Republicans can't ignore if they want to win the Brown state vote.

17. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

That could be quite a few midwestern and some mid-Atlantic states like where there are large employers in pork, poultry, dairy industry, not just general agricuture, horticulture. There are actually quite a few Hispanics in the consolidating segment of regular dairy industry in the Catskills in NY now.

The 2016 primary election process really did kind of derail or at least postpone major advances the Republicans had in their plans for outreach to Hispanics this year. Once Trump announced, his unfortunate stereotyping kind of backburnered that whole gig. It's too bad because a lot of Hispanics are socially and fiscally conservative so one would think them a natural fit with Republican party if it would just disavow the base Trump openly courted.

18. Gutwrench Suspended

Gutwrench

Thanks for the epileptic seizure!

PSA: Calm down on the colors.