Republican who voted for health bill gets dose of racism

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by leekohler, Nov 10, 2009.

1. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

http://newsblogs.chicagotribune.com...or-health-bill-treated-to-racist-tweets-.html

Wow- so you vote in the interest of your constituents and get showered with racial epithets? I thought the job of a rep was to represent his constituents. Apparently, it's just to vote the party line. Amazing.

Keep it up, Republicans. This is why only 21% of the country now identify with you.

2. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Didn't the Democrats just vote party lines as well?

3. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I think 45 Dems. voted against the bill.

4. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

There are some who didn't, due to the wishes of their constituents. And while that might make some people angry, they aren't doing things like this.

Funny how you didn't address the issue at all. You went straight for the tit-for-tat approach. :rolleyes: Typical- and completely expected.

5. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I still don't know why anybody would vote for that bill. Just scrap the whole thing and start over. I will never understand the rush to pass bills that will have huge impacts for decades to come.

6. ZachsMacDaddy macrumors 6502

ZachsMacDaddy

The majority of both sides do it all the time.

If elected officials actually voted to support those who voted them as their representatives, things might actually happen in this country. But, the truth is that it's "us -vs- them" and to hell with the constituents and what they want and need. A few little bills here & there can be manipulated to make the voters think they give a damn about them so they can continue to stay in office and play these stupid games.

I may be a registered Democrat, but I think I'm really an Independent. The only reason I have stayed a Democrat on paper is so I can vote on candidates in primaries that most closely represent what I believe.

I wish we could vote out ALL of congress and start over fresh. A full Congressional "reset."

7. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

I don't like it either, but that's not the topic of this thread. I see you still haven't addressed it.

8. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Nice generalization there Lee. Got any proof that it is just Republicans doing this? Many people are unhappy with this legislation, so those tweets could have come from anyone.

9. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

The fact that one Republican voted for a crap bill and is taking heat for it? Every person in Congress should be taking heat for it. I don't agree with the racist remarks though.

10. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

You may be right, but do you really think it's Democrats and Independents calling the guy? REALLY? Come on, ufcgrad.

Taking heat for something is different than racism.

11. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

The racism part I don't agree with and really has no purpose.

12. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I don't deny that there are some Republicans who would do this. But I ask you, do you think that there are some far left Democrats who didn't think the bill went far enough and would respond in similar fashion?

13. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

You think that "far left" democrats would sinlge out a republican for racial taunts because the bill did't go far enough?

14. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

I don't think that a far left Dem would respond to something like this in racist manner. No- I definitely don't. That's just not their MO. Could a moderate? Sure, but definitely not a far left Dem.

15. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I don't think you'll find too many on the left calling Rep. Cao a gook and telling him to go back to Saigon.

Compare the posts on Daily Kos (the far left) to the posts on Free Republic (the far right). You're not going to find anyone on DK using racist language like that (and if they do, their comments are quickly deleted and they're banned), yet it's all over the place at FR. The left generally has more class than that.

Anyways, keep it up GOP. Soon you'll be down to Eric Cantor as your only minority member of congress, if you can even call him a Jew after he supported a rally where pictures of piled up bodies at Dachau were used to compare health care reform to Nazi Germany.

16. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Yes.

17. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Please find me an example.

18. iObama macrumors 6502a

iObama

Correct, because most of the people don't blindly follow party lines like a certain MacRumors member I know. Some people have opinions...

19. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Is it also possible that it is the New World Order who have infiltrated Twitter to destabilize the government by plunging the US citizens into a race war?

20. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

This isn't about party lines. It doesn't even matter if you support HCR or not. Everyone should be agaisnt racism aimed towards a congressman who voted what he felt was right.

21. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Well, it is about party lines to a certain extent, given that he was the only Republican to vote for it.

22. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

True, I was talking more about the racism thing though. I don't know why the hell MR members following the party lines has anything to do with this or why he even brought it up.

23. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Maybe you should loosen up your tinfoil hat. I'm concerned that it might be cutting off the flow of blood to your brain.

24. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Please find me proof that it is only Republicans that are sending these awful messages.

25. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Like I said, compare the content on Daily Kos to Free Republic, or HuffPo to RedState or whatever. You're only going to find the racist garbage on the right wing sites.

Now, where are the examples of Democrats making digusting, racist comments about Congressman Cao?