"Republicans are struggling right now to find the great white hope."

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Surely, Aug 27, 2009.

1. Surely Guest

Surely

2. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

3. stevegmu macrumors regular

4. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Wow. That's so stupid. I can't believe she said that. You'd think she'd be really careful with her words. And then she lists a bunch of white guys! D'oh!

Just read up on her. How did this woman get elected? Oh wait- she's from Kansas. ;)

5. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

I really doubt she would have thought it to be taken racially. I was actually confused as to what you guys were referencing at first after watching it and then I searched "great white hope". She was 4 when the phrase would have been given racial ties.

6. Surely thread starter Guest

Surely

^^^^^ I'm 33, and I know (and have known) exactly what it means. Why would it matter how old she was when it was a popular phrase?

Give me a break.

She knows what it means. She screwed up, plain and simple: she used her inside voice on the outside.

7. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Zombie Acorn. Defending the indefensible since Feb 2009 :D!

8. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

I wouldn't know what it meant without looking it up. It doesn't have any real descriptive racial ties in the name. If she would have said "we are searching for the white light" it would have meant about the same to me.

You can't possibly know she meant it in any context, great white hope? Seriously?

I just don't approve of tearing people down by taking phrases they have said and putting them in a new context they may have not even knew about.

It seems you guys are trying to find racism or racial ties in just about anything these days.

9. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

You're right. By great white hope she was probably referring to Moby Dick. Or perhaps a heavy downpour of snow? Or a new Barry White. It's easily explainable.

10. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

White historically has a positive connotation. Its only when you decide to intermix the colors white and black with races that it becomes a problem.

I'll let you guys continue your racism witch hunt though, its amusing to watch everything become racist.

11. That-Is-Bull macrumors 6502

That-Is-Bull

You're seriously trying to defend this? What the hell else could she have meant by "great white hope?" Even to somebody who's never heard the phrase before (me), it's completely obvious that it's racist. And if she hadn't heard the phrase before, she damn sure wouldn't have used it.

Seriously, I hate people who try as hard as they can to find racism in every word ever spoken (Al Sharpton), but I don't see how this could possibly be seen as not racist.

12. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Unbelievable.

13. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Point out anything untrue about my statement and you can be the winner of a prize.

14. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

So if we say "great white" anything, it is now a racist remark? It is entirely plausible she had no idea that the term had been used racially in the past.

I don't see how you determine its a racist remark without knowing the story behind it as you seem to imply that you did.

15. Surely thread starter Guest

Surely

No. If she would have said "great white shark", there wouldn't be a problem. Or even "great White Sox". Unless there are Cubs fans here?

The fact is that she said "great white hope". I'm sure she didn't mean to say it out loud, but she did. Maybe it's something talked about behind closed doors, and she got a little too comfortable out there.

Are you really that surprised to see someone with potentially racist thoughts in the Republican party?

I'm not saying that all (or even most) Republicans are racist, but it sure seems that most racists are Republicans.

16. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

I wouldn't be surprised to see a republican racist, I just don't see this as a racist remark unless the meaning behind it was known explicitly. Perhaps everyone else is more aware of racial tense "sayings", but I personally wouldn't have gave it a second thought if I watched it and I certainly wouldn't have linked it with anything racial.

17. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Yea, not the best choice of words, but I'm not sold on this as racist statement(on purpose) (perhaps if I knew more about her and if she's made past comments that were racist, it be a little worse)

18. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Mixing "colours" isn't a problem. Archaic and asinine attitudes is the problem. And they're independent of race.

19. That-Is-Bull macrumors 6502

That-Is-Bull

Of course not. There's great white sharks, great white owls, a band from the '70s called Great White, etc. But I highly doubt she was referring to any of these. She was referring to a person. A great white person. Not a great white shark.

But highly unlikely. "Struggling to find the great white hope" is not something anybody would think of saying if they didn't know what it meant.

You don't have to know the story behind it if it's that obvious. It would be like me saying "you shouldn't support Lee Kohler for president because he's gay." And then claiming that I meant "gay" as in "happy," because he's too happy to not like terrorists. And then you defend me because I might not have known that "gay" can also mean "homosexual" and I've never heard the story of how that definition changed.

20. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

This is kind of interesting. But in her defense, maybe she didn't actually read the entire resolution.

http://www.ottawaherald.com/story/082809jenkinsvote

21. Marble macrumors 6502a

Marble

I don't see how this is misinterpretable. It's not even ambiguous.

22. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

I'm under the assumption that term is now a term by group, team, etc who is looking for someone to help bring them back to the top.(based off that story)

Thats now I took it, maybe I'm just being to forgiving or naive (still I'd say a bad choice of words at the least)

23. Surely thread starter Guest

Surely

Yeah, that's exactly what the Cleveland Cavaliers players said when they landed Shaq this summer. :rolleyes:

Yes, you're being forgiving and naive. Definitely a bad choice of words by her.

24. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Relax, its a bad choice of words...but it clearly wasn't "we don't like Obama because he's black"....thats a big jump...and a stupid political move. Even if she did feel that way, she wouldn't come out and say it.(that isn't how you get reelected in the state level or elected to a national stage) So honestly, I don't think I'm being that naive. And yes, I will forgive her for a bad choice of words.

25. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

This is ridiculous IMO. How about we deal with real issues instead of trying to turn a phrase into racism. I don't even see racism as an issue anymore, I know people who are racist but they are largely in the minority.