Republicans are trying their best to keep the unemployment rate high

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Coleman2010, Sep 19, 2012.

1. Coleman2010 macrumors 68000

GOP blocks veterans jobs bill with budget vote

http://thehill.com/blogs/floor-action/senate/250391-gop-kills-veterans-jobs-bill-with-budget-vote

2. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

3. Coleman2010 thread starter macrumors 68000

They ran in 2010 on a Jobs Jobs Jobs platform and haven't passed a single jobs bill.

4. AhmedFaisal Guest

Support the troops my ass. The republicans are good at stirring the nationalistic pot but when it comes to actually supplying the troops with the basic things they need and taking care of the men and women who put their life on the line at home and after they return is just appalling. Conditions in veterans hospitals are appalling, access to stuff such as rehabilitation and counceling is still sub par and helping vets get back on their feet financially is equally bad.

5. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

6. fox10078 macrumors 6502

fox10078

I mean for ****s sake they can at least help Vets.

7. Coleman2010 thread starter macrumors 68000

How can people see this and not realize Republicans are purposely cutting or killing new jobs to help their election chances?

If I was a Dem running for office I would make a long commercial listing every jobs bill the Republicans have blocked.

8. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

Both parties suck in supporting troops. Hell, most people suck in supporting troops. A bumpersticker or a pin on the sports coat just doesn't cut it. People either do not realize or do not care that when we send people to war, they get messed up physically and psychologically, and this requires a network to help them that we lack. With modern medicine, people who would have died years ago survive...they come back, they get a 'hero welcome', then are put in a corner and forgot about. And then people wonder why suicide rates are so high for veterans.

9. AhmedFaisal, Sep 20, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 20, 2012

AhmedFaisal Guest

Not disagreeing with you there. It just adds another layer of disgusting when a party so overtly plays the patriotic/support troops card as the republicans do and doesn't deliver.

10. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

It doesn't make sense that they would do this to keep unemployment high for the elections, this bill isn't going to create "jobs" quick enough and it would actually be in their best interest if they were to be elected as you could see a bump right after Mitt was in office.

Jobs don't just magically appears as government decides they should.

11. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

No, but with enough publicity just signing the bill into law could give Obama points with the voters. What happens after the elections isn't a priority right now.

12. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

That doesn't really make sense either because voting against a Veterans bill is not good in the press or with their base.

The bill sounds like it was unfunded, liberals were trying to say the money would come from back taxes from medicare suppliers/providers? Sounds a little fishy. I would have much rather diverted the Egypt billion to this cause though.

13. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

I'd like to see how they were planning on paying for this before I make any sort of judgment on whether or not this is good or bad. People tend to overreact on stuff like this without having the full set of facts.

14. edk99 macrumors 6502a

Blocking jobs? They were all for the keystone pipeline and creating 10's of thousands of jobs.

15. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

And for destroying the environment along the pipeline.

16. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

The Questionable Economics of the Keystone XL Pipeline

The article goes on to say we'd be lucky to see a $0.03 reduction in gas prices as much of the oil would be for export.

----------

The Republicans wrote most of the ****ing bill.

17. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

You mean thousands of temporary jobs then dozens/a couple hundred across the span of the pipeline.

Don't for a second forget that once the construction is done, oil production/refining is the least labor intensive energy industry.

18. edk99 macrumors 6502a

And we do that everyday when we build new roads and bridges. Yawn!

----------

So why don't we then kill all those road construction jobs since those are just temporary jobs too.

19. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

They're not. Roads are used constantly and are in need of constant repair (same as bridges). That's why there are dedicated road crews...

Pipelines are built once, then have a small maintenance team over the next few decades.

I really can't believe you just posted this, it shows a complete misunderstanding of infrastructure, both in building it and maintaining it.

Do me a favor and never run for an office of any kind.

20. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Really? Every time we build roads and bridges, these kinds of things happen? YOu should do a little research before you speak.

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/OTUS/keystone-xl-pipeline-issues-gush/story?id=16280542#.UFs5MI5y_mI

Because roadwork is never over. Roads have to be constantly maintained.

21. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Of course they were for helping their rich oil buddies. They always are in the pocket for them. But other people like 9/11 responders and vets, yeah not so quick. To them one group is seen as funding their campaigns and another is seen as just a financial drain.

22. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

What on earth? Haven't the Republicans earned anything from the Vietnam war? I guess vets are part of the 47%.

23. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Is it a coincidence that Bank of America announced that they were going to accelerate their planned layoffs so that instead of happening next year, 15,000 people are getting axed this year?

24. edk99, Sep 20, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2012

edk99 macrumors 6502a

And the libs are all for helping their rich union cronies. They are always in the pocket for them. See I can do the same thing. ;)

Edit: Oh and who has been one of Obama's biggest donors? http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0510/36783.html There is a lot of hypocrisy in your "helping rich corporate buddies" statement.

25. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Yeah except the libs don't go around blocking job bills like a bunch of morons. Republicans have black holes where their hearts are supposed to be. No conscience and no shame whatsoever.