Republicans lock-up a Democratic win in the 2016 presidential election

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by bent christian, Feb 24, 2016.

1. bent christian Suspended

bent christian

Once again, failing to allow democracy to function.

The Judiciary Committee's letter opposing Supreme Court hearings:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

3. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

But there's a pretty good chance of it. I don't think this is going to appeal to many independents, and will hurt the Republican chances for keeping the Senate. For example, I've switched my vote back and forth between the parties depending on which candidate I actually like. However if the Republicans do go ahead and refuse to hold hearings on a nominee then for the first time in my life I will vote for someone 100% because of the party they are a part of, and it won't be the Republican candidate for the Senate. I also doubt that I am the only one that will do that.

4. MrWillie macrumors 65816

MrWillie

Based on his last nomination, I feel they are doing the right thing. We have overlapping powers, so even when a looney gets elected, damage can be controlled.

5. FieldingMellish Suspended

More like, if anything, one of the Democrats is going to eventually be locked-up.

6. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

I disagree with the title. The right is mad and they will vote the left is uninspired and will likely not based on the nominee.

7. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

The amount of BULL in that letter is overwhelming.

1 line summary:
    "We will not consent to anyone the POTUS suggests."

8. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Consider the source though. Look at who's on the GOP side of the committee! Yes, it's true that that committee is the gatekeeper. But the GOP members on it are among the right of the right. Not everyone in the GOP side of the Senate might feel that way about it.

Okay, so at this point only one fairly vulnerable Republican senator from Illinois has demurred in public. But there could be others. And if Obama makes a nomination, still more could change their minds depending on how the primary race results continue to emerge.

If all the Democrats can be persuaded to back Obama's nominee, it's not impossible (just a really heavy lift). Fourteen to make 60 votes... well okay a horrendous lift. But the nominee might be really appealing. Obama is not a radical left wing dude, he's practically like Bush the father on his picks so far.

The downside for Republicans at the polls is an unknown. Americans so far seem to think the Court should not be impeded from doing business with all hands on deck. How much does the GOP want to bank on that not mattering when those Americans get into the voting booth?

it's not just the Court pick at risk. The GOP has to figure Clinton could win the Presidency. They need to keep the Senate too if they don't want to try to manage "her" policy with just the House in their pocket. Clinton and a Dem Senate would run rings around a fractured Republican party in the House. The first thing they'd do is try to co-opt Speaker Ryan, who's conservative but not insane. Then depending on how that went down with the rump right, they could work with Ryan or just override (with mainstream conservatives) whatever his farther right replacement ended up trying to bring to the floor.

Really I think the GOP is nuts deploying their (admittedly legit) refusal to consider a nominee to the Court in Obama's term. Sometimes you just take the little piece of cake when someone hands it to you on a plate at the party. Maybe there's no more cake in the pantry.

9. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Looks like Obama is going to play hardball. Nevada Governor (R) leaked as being vetted for SC slot.

10. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

TB H it's not that hard to make the R's look dumb on this issue

11. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

If this is true, then this is a smart move by Obama. This pits the Reds against their own, which will not look good for their own party.

Think about it: refuse to vet a member of their own political party for a SCOTUS position? Makes one wonder if they will back off or double down on their stance on the 'Biden Rules'.

BL.

12. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Didn't stop the damage Bush caused.