Republicans should get over the election win.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Zombie Acorn, Nov 8, 2017.

1. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

2. Gutwrench Contributor

Gutwrench

Well screaming at the sky seems sensible and doing that while wearing a vagina costume just doubles it.

3. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

4. Zenithal macrumors G3

I'd say the Liberals aren't as upset as people talking about Hillary on a constant basis.

5. Septembersrain Contributor

Septembersrain

It might just be because I'm deep up to my neck in depression but I think everyone and anyone bickering over Republican this, Democrat that...

They need to just stop.

6. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

I'm really not upset at all. I think it is freaking hilarious that Republicans have not been able to get it together since then, that Trump makes them run around like chickens with their heads cut off trying to distance themselves from whatever latest thing Trump has tweeted. That Trump has divided the Republicans so much that some are leaving the party. And maybe the best thing of all, Trump supporters here are so embarassed and unable to really defend him, that most of them seem to be in the witness protection program now. :D

7. Zenithal macrumors G3

This is what occurs when you have CHILDREN stuck in the bodies of GROWN MEN AND WOMEN who try to govern but cannot because they don't know their head from their ass. These are the people who spent eight years telling their constituents they'll do this and do that.

They're incapable of doing anything with a super majority.

8. Zombie Acorn thread starter macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

They have a simple majority. Super majority is 3/5ths.

9. fedup flyer macrumors regular

If Hillary would go away and stop making very public appearances, no one would be talking about her.

10. Zenithal, Nov 8, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2017

Zenithal macrumors G3

Executive, legislative and judicial. More GOP governors and representatives. More voting support for GOP, even from some lifelong independents and liberals who got tired of the so-called "Swamp." I see living in Canada has altered your idea of how easy it should be to steamroll anything through when given these odds. They can't do anything even with the odds stacked against liberals. The closest we've seen something like this was in the 2000s when Rs controlled both houses of Congress.

You'll retort with "These Congress members clearly can't do their job and should be voted out by their constituents for someone who is willing to push legislation through."

Don't make excuses for weaklings.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 8, 2017 ---
    Why does that bother you, though? Why? Why does her making public appearances she's paid for bother you? Are you really letting a 71 YO woman who has almost no effect on your life at this very moment get to you? Get to you so much that you spend all your time thinking about her and what should happen to her? Someone you'll likely never meet or have contact with. Why should she go away and never speak again? Why would you infringe on another human being's right to live as they see fit?

How sensitive does a grown man have to be to let a senior citizen get to them? As our man Donny would say, "SAD!"

At the end of the day, her family net worth is increasing, and thanks to Donny's upcoming plan to reduce the heir inheritance tax, it'll mean he Clintons will have a very, very long legacy to work with. Long after you and your children are gone.

Now, that alone may trigger some of our more curious members who have a weird, habitual need to be vitriolic towards the woman. Buying into any rumor about her. Maybe they just hate her and not Bill. Maybe they hate Democrats. Maybe they hate seeing a woman be very successful in a very male world such as politics.

11. mac_in_tosh macrumors 6502

mac_in_tosh

Maybe Trump can also stop talking about the 2016 election.

12. Zombie Acorn thread starter macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

You seem to be taking offense at the fact that they don't have a super majority, only a simple majority. Democrats had a better layout when Obama started his first term.

Judicial branch is still recovering liberals and they can't ram everything through supreme. Senate is holding them back.

13. Zenithal macrumors G3

Stop twisting the truth. Who is "they"? My party? I'm not sure I should even listen to you. You have a habit of twisting the truth whenever you can for whatever reason. It's getting really tiring at this point. Besides, your point has to do with voting. Not the butts in the seats.

14. v0lume4 macrumors 68000

v0lume4

re: Bolded:
    Or perhaps we're satisfied enough to feel that we don't have to linger around in PRSI and post to justify our voting decision. Folks are more likely to vent when they're dissatisfied. Just my two cents!

re: Italicized:
    I can actually agree with you here, though I suspect for different reasons. The establishment Republicans are just as much of a problem right now as the Democrats. It's nice to see them squirming in their seats -- the gravy train is over fellas! Get ready to get on board and get stuff done, or else you're OUT! The proverbial swamp needs draining, on both sides.

15. Zombie Acorn thread starter macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

"They" are the judges blocking Trump's EOs in my latest post. You don't have to listen to me at all, someone said they have a super majority, that's 100% false unless they have 60 votes in the Senate.

16. Zenithal, Nov 8, 2017

Zenithal macrumors G3

Super majority in the sense you're advocating is about votes. Super majority in the sense I'm advocating relates to how many Republicans hold official positions in government. You would have been able to discern what I was talking about if your knowledge on American government was more extent and wasn't intermixed with the ramblings of Canada's take on government. The Trump Administration is more than free to take it to the supreme court, where there are more conservative judges (on paper) than liberal. Or are they afraid to set precedent if they lose? Tough decisions for Orange Julius.

It's funny you take issue with me using the term "super majority" in this manner when I've been doing it for months, but freely take issue just now to go off topic in one of your odd whaling expeditions just to divert attention from the issues people raised with your posts and calling you out on your commentary. But, hey, let's focus on me.
    It's a double-whammy as I've said in the past. Vote as they always have and they may get slaughtered with more Trump-centric candidates in the future. Vote for Trump influenced legislation and their old constituents who are fed up may vote someone else in, and thus still get slaughtered in the polls. Or, and this is never going to happen, get slaughtered by Democrats in the polls. Can you really imagine Kentucky voting out McConnell the Turkey Gob for a Democrat? I can't. Ever. And that shmuck as less than 27% voter approval. They'll still vote him in.

You're familiar with the expression, "Up a **** creek with a paddle," right? There you go. These GOPers have two decisions. Run on whatever platform they need to and sit on their thumbs or gracefully exit by retiring.

17. v0lume4 macrumors 68000

v0lume4

My favorite quote from the article:

Someday, I hope, people of both parties will recognize that the solution to much of this nonsense involves limiting the power of government, not expanding it.
    Absolute gold. Matter of fact, I've been listening to Basic Economics by Thomas Sowell and it has blown a hole through everything I thought I knew about governments, laws, economics, society, and how they all intertwine and impact one another. To avoid a monologue, I'll simply reiterate again -- the above (bolded) is the path to greater wealth for society as a whole.
    Well said. Therein lies the problem. Our government has gotten so fat and bloated -- it's really insane. The good ol' boys system inside of both parties, the lobbyists, the big money. Lest we not forget that the GOP and DNC are PRIVATE entities, that serve to elect officials into office. It's all a big mess.

Like Trump or not -- like his policies or not -- I think this presidency has, if anything, shown everyone's true colors. You have the extreme-left Democrats damaging their own party; you have the "Republicans" that rallied behind Trump, but clearly actually have no vested interest in his success. Etc. Perhaps one day we'll get back to where we all used to be: Pro-America. While the GOP and DNC have always had different interests, I feel that the interest that used to allow us to reach across the aisle (pro-America) has slowly faded away.

18. LizKat macrumors 603

LizKat

Yah, I have felt like that, although tonight I don't feel like we're bickering,, just having political discussions. But then I'm in a pretty mellow mood today because the Dems did quite well in the off year elections

I could wish that the Republicans would stop bickering amongst themselves so that it would become more clear to the Democrats they're next to inherit that barrel of fun. It's not like the Dems don't have their rifts and fissures too. Right now the ball is in the GOP's court, at least on paper, and if you're a Dem then of course it's somewhat comforting to watch them being unable to get on the same page with each other. We could be enjoying that a litle too much though. Dems have a lot more work to do on ourselves and watching Republicans mess up is a distraction.

I've been on both sides of the fence about the state of our political discourse for a long time now -- are we not courteous enough? are we too politicallly correct? are we parroting party lines instad of exploring for common ground? and so on. I don't mean any of that in the context of the vile state to which Twitter replies and some online papers' comments sections descend. I mean places like this forum, where there's moderation but we still get pretty carried away sometimes. And places outside in the real world too, even though out there people tend to be a little more restrained with each other if they actually like discussing politics.

But, I am starting to think lately that my own take on whether we're discussing or bickering, at least in PRSI, is mostly related to my blood sugar level at any given time. That or whether I got enough sleep the previous night. :D

19. Septembersrain Contributor

Septembersrain

Yeah. This might not be a bickering thread... Yet. I'm just really fouled up over the upcoming funeral next week. So I think no matter the political party you support, if we don't all unite, I feel like this world is going to pretty much be destroyed by all of us instead.

It's like we all see what we want to see and this is keeping us all so busy that we are missing the big picture.

United we are strong. Divided we fall. We are falling hard and fast.

That's how I feel anyways.

20. Plutonius, Nov 8, 2017

Plutonius macrumors 604

Plutonius

Elections are alway cyclical.
    People shouldn't stress out. Does it really matter what the other person post ? Have you in all your time here, actually changed someone else's opinion ?

21. LizKat macrumors 603

LizKat

Yeah we shouldn't stress out. I do learn stuff from what people here post, including links they put up. And let's not forget @jkcerda's mom's recipes. I've discovered some cool books, movies, music, cheese, the odd remedy for car parts gone rogue and etc. from member postings.

I came here in 2004 probably for some help with maybe a powerbook related issue, and stuck around to complain about GWBush once I made the post count to get onto the boards in PRSI forum. I doubt I've changed any minds here. Maybe I've persuaded a few people to check out the ignore button :D since all that scrolling down my text walls can get tiresome.

What I don't get used to and don't want to get used to is posts that clearly could be paste jobs from some set of talking points. not even referred to with a link as a courtesy. But that's not really stressful either, just... boring.

On balance to me, PRSI can be fun like the Apple gear forums here are fun, i.e. until there's a big set of political campaigns underway in the USA, or in the case of iPhones or Macs or whatever, a new model launch. Somehow that stuff does bring out the worst in a lot of us. The gear launches are not as much fun as they used to be because of trolling that in some ways is worse that what goes on in PRSI if you ask me. But hey, no one makes us hang out in any of these places.

22. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

If that's the case, then most of us regulars should be dead by now. :p

23. Plutonius macrumors 604

Plutonius

I wouldn't be here if it wasn't fun :).

What do you think of the new side bar layout (latest post) on the front page ?

I use the sidebar on the front page for most of my forum browsing and, since they eliminated the forums I am usually interested in from the sidebar, I find myself spending much less time on MacRumors and am really only checking out the community and PRSI forums :(.

24. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 604

The-Real-Deal82

In the months after the election when she had disappeared she was talked about constantly. The need to validate Trumps win was pretty much constant on here lol.

25. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Oh please. That isn't even close to being true. First off, Trump keeps talking about her, but secondly Republicans always seem to need a villian and she is numero uno on the list.

You're satisfied with broken promises and lies? LOL Wow. There really isn't much for anyone to be satisfied about if they look at the situation objectively.

That plan is going to backfire. If both Dems and Republicans are attacking the same candidates, Dems will win. United you stand, divided you fall. Eating your own isn't a path to success.

Yes..true colors. You forgot the true colors of Trump supporters who look the other way and vote for a guy who mocks disabled people and brags about assulting women. Took their morals and dignity and threw them right out the window.

Our country is over 300 million people now. Of course it is getting bloated. It had to for a number of reasons. Supporting social services for all those people. Fighting terrorism around the world. Keeping an ear and eye out for what bad countries are up to. Trying to keep our air and water clean in the face of a growing population which encroaches on wildness areas. Cleaning up after larger and larger and more frequent natural disasters. Can't do all this stuff with just a handful of people. It takes many thousands.