Republicans slip propaganda into the title of bill

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Thomas Veil, Jan 17, 2011.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Another low for House Republicans.

The "Job Killing Health Care Act"? Really, Republicans? Really?

My problem with the title of this bill has nothing to do with Arizona. I think Dems are barking up the wrong tree with that one. It has to do with the fact that Republicans need to exhibit some sense of dignity toward the office to which they were elected.

I know in this day and age propaganda has spread to almost every corner of our society, but dissing the political opposition's bill in the title of another -- that's outright childish.

What's next, the "Repeal the Law that Allows Those Icky Gays in the Military" Act?

I don't know...if I were the House Democrats, I'd at the very least raise a point of order complaining about the title, right there on the House floor. At the most, I'd take it as the sign of utter disrespect it is and walk out, leaving the House without a quorum.

2. Queso macrumors G4

Does a society really get the representatives it deserves when it elects clowns like this into office?

3. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I've said it before and I'll say it again, all Republicans care about is power. They do not care about doing what's right or what's good for the country. They will continue to waste our time and money on foolishness like this that the know will never pass. Expect more stupidity and expect to be embarrassed of our government once again.

4. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Considering that politics has trumped statesmanship, this does not surprise me in the least.

Slap a label on something to demonize it, rather than engage in meaningful debate. The voting masses have shown time and again they fall for it.

5. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

That goes for both parties not just Republicans.

6. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I'll see your new House low and raise you a Senate low.

7. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Hmm...let's see- when is the last time a Democrat named a bill this way? When is the last time a Democrat promised White House investigation hearing every week like Darrell Issa?

It's a given that politicians are not the most honorable people, but this group of Republicans really take the cake.

http://www.newsweek.com/2010/09/07/darrell-issa-could-investigate-president-obama.html

Why are you surprised? These people aim to do away with any legal protections out there. These people aren't just crazy- they're dangerous.

8. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

It never ceases to amaze me that there are so many constitutional extremists in the USA.

I'm beginning to think that a lot of it is because the US is so sparsely populated and the rise of Columbine style violence is closely linked to that as well . Isolation breeds paranoia and the need to impose Sharia-like religious laws on the rest of the US.

A lot of Americans just freak me out.

9. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Well, we mentioned a few weeks back that constitutional extremists like the Tea Party are really just old wine in new bottles. In my dad's day, the Tea Party was called the John Birch Society. Once dismissed as a splinter group of kooks and crazies, it's been given it a false veneer of respectability -- at least out there in Rubeland -- by the yellow journalists over at Fox.

This constitutional extremism is just one more example of fundamentalism, except that it's political, not religious. And we all know how fundamentalism works. It seeks to take away protections via a biased interpretation of a sacred document, whether it's the Bible, the Koran or the Constitution.

10. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I dunno Lee. Child labour is something most countries take pretty seriously.

While I'm sure it occasionally happens (especially in poorer countries) I don't believe its legal in any country in the world.

11. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

Damn straight. No one is completely 'innocent' and no one is completely 'guilty'.

12. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Can you point to an example?

Why not simply call it "the repeal of HR [whatever]?

It all sounds pretty unprofessional to me.

13. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

Can we call the Iraq war the "unjust slaughter of thousands of innocent civilians through illegal war"?

I might like this new approach :)

14. citizenzen macrumors 65816

The Clean Air Act should have been called Save Babies From Suffocating Act. :eek: :eek: :eek:

15. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

It can be argued that if you vote for clowns you get clowns, making you a clown. ;) It does not portend well for our country. :(

16. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

OMFG you gotta be kidding me with this. What a bunch of idiotic little babies. It's so hard not to hate them. It will be fun to watch Obama veto this if it ever even passes.

17. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

But what if the HCR bill can be clearly demonstrated or proven to be neutral or positive WRT job creation/maintenance? In that case, would thus measure be invalidated on putative passage due to not correctly identifying its target?

18. dscuber9000 macrumors 6502a

Wonder why Obama stopped trying to reach out to them?

19. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Was the surgery to reattach his fingers successful?

20. thefnshow macrumors regular

Wonder why Obama stopped trying to reach out to them?

he never tried to reach out to them and if you actually believe he did then you've been sniffing way too much glue

21. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Not really at all...

22. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

He tried to work with them all through the health care law debate and other legislation- they refused to. They are owed nothing.

23. dscuber9000 macrumors 6502a

Are you kidding? He asked them over and over again to help find a compromise. Republicans wouldn't have it. Despite being an extreme minority, it was either their way or nothing.

However, Republicans being the extreme minority, Democrats went and did what they could anyway.

24. Queso macrumors G4

Why do those that back the extreme Republicans cause feel this need to attach attacks about the mental state of those they disagree with onto their posts?

25. thefnshow macrumors regular

they weren't allowed to participate in crafting the health care bill at all, and then obama expects the repubs to just vote for it ? it's been two years of what nancy pelosi said "we won,we get to do what we want". as far the title of the bill is concerned...the truth hurts....everything obama tries to do kills jobs