Republicans think Black people want free ****.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Coleman2010, Aug 30, 2012.

1. Zombie Acorn, Aug 30, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2012

Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Most frequent answer was "Don't Know" and these are raw counts as opposed to percentages?

Doesn't seem very scientific to me.

Maybe they were watching too much Youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P36x8rTb3jI

Heres also a breakdown of welfare recipient dollars in 2011:

White 38.8%
    Black 39.8
    Hispanic 15.7
    Asian 2.4
    other 3.3

Thats with 13-14% of the population... Add that to incarceration rates and it starts to paint a not so great picture.

[​IMG]

2. Coleman2010 thread starter macrumors 68000

You got these numbers from a topix post. His post doesn't reference where he got his numbers from. From all we know they were pulled out of his ass.

3. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

AFDC statistics

4. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Of what?

What do you see in that picture?

5. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Incarceration isn't just among black americans...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_incarceration_rate

America just loves to throw its citizens in jail, because big business republicans make money off of people being locked up. The American "justice" system is so ****ed up it's not funny.

6. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

A lot of American black people want free stuff:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

----------

They don't lock you up for playing jumping jacks on the side of the road.

7. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Pretty charts.

I'll wait for the study.

:rolleyes:

8. Queen of Spades macrumors 68030

Queen of Spades

Yes, it does, of a population of people that have not yet rebounded from slavery, Jim Crow laws, governmental and institutional discrimination, and the inability to vote a scant 50 years ago. It paints a picture of the long-lasting effects of such harmful and pervasive oppression for so long. It certainly reflects badly, but not on the people you think.

It seems like people believe now that we live in 2012 and being overtly racist is no longer okay (subtle racism is still fine), that black people (and Native Americans) should all just be a-okay with no lingering effects of centuries of mistreatment, disenfranchisement, and oppression. It's ridiculous to think this, and racist to insinuate that the problems faced by the black community are because of some inherent weakness, perfidy, and lack of intellect.

Do you know any older black people? If you do, then realize that they couldn't vote when they turned 18 years old because it was illegal. Their parents couldn't vote for most of their adult lives. These people are still alive. They had to use separate sinks, separate schools, and were institutionally kept in poverty.

My sister's fiance's grandfather's parents were slaves. Even my own stepfather (60) remembers being a kid and there being certain places he could not go. Do you see how not far removed that is? Give me a break already with this nonsense. Why do you think Native Americans have overwhelming rates of alcoholism, poverty, teen pregnancy, and addiction? Because they're weak people too? Because there's something in their way of life that makes it so? I swear the ignorance is stunning sometimes.

9. Coleman2010 thread starter macrumors 68000

A lot of people are racist.

10. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

I don't think many people are confusing Republicans with Mensa members.

Being that the South is the dominant Republican stronghold I'm not surprised the numbers skew in that direction.

11. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

If some republicans had it their way, they'd go back to this too, all while playing the "Merrica is the greatest country in the world because of FREEDOM" card. It's sickening.

People need to wake the **** up and realize it's 2012. Most civilized countries have moved past trying to restrict other people's rights based on race, sexual orientation, religious beliefs, personal beliefs, etc. It's time for the US to do the same if we still want to be the "great, free nation" that these people say we are.

12. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

What I find odd is that the giveaways to the wealthy in the forms of tax cuts, preferential tax treatment of certain income, and deductions/loopholes is more "free stuff" than the paultry benefits the poor receive.

13. eric/, Aug 30, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2012

eric/ Guest

eric/

Even more interesting:

[​IMG]

Hmm. Poor, black, religious, republican

-edit-

Thanks nuckinfutz

14. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

That's what's so hypocritical about people that point the finger at other people that are taking "handouts". People of every socio-economic strata are basically looking for free stuff (and why wouldn't they?). It's just easy to scapegoat those who are poor and looking for handouts as opposed to those who are affluent and mask the handout in "well I create jobs or run a business"

It's all the same in the end.

eric

use the [​IMG]

15. Queen of Spades macrumors 68030

Queen of Spades

It's also why I get really annoyed when people defend discrimination of gay people's rights because either they personally don't agree with it, or they feel that the current status quo is sufficient. It's plain ignorance.

I really think a lot of people skipped history class and never even bothered to sign up for sociology with posts like Zombie Acorn's. The social problems faced by black people, Native Americans, latinos, etc. is not because white > brown. Some people aren't capable of looking at things critically and beyond their own (racist) surface perceptions. Ever stop and think maybe there's an overriding reason poverty rates are so high in black communities? Or that there's a reason Native Americans have such low numbers of college graduates?

The whole "freedom" concept hasn't been applied equally in this country since the first English boot touched New England soil.

It's incredibly ignorant and stupid to think that undoing hundreds of years of oppression is going to happen in 1-2 generations.

16. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Black people could vote in 1837 in Canada. My family was here at that time.

Its not subtle racism, I posted statistics about black people, perhaps its time people take a look at reality so they can start fixing the problems and stop making excuses.

I know some older black people, they all could vote when they were 18. It doesn't change the fact that a disproportional amount of crime is coming from blacks in the city.

Where is the connection between great great grandparents being slaves and 18-25 year olds shooting people/not sticking around after fathering a kid? Sorry I am missing the connection.

17. 184550 Guest

I'm very sorry you feel that way.

Hey, if you can't get the desired answer the first time, just revise your standards. :rolleyes:

18. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

Zombie

You're not providing any revelations here. Any Sociologist will tell you that given the circumstances (despotic conditions, lack of proper education etc) you will get high crime and violence.

One only need to look at the brutality that Ireland had to work so hard to stamp out and that was "simply" a Catholic vs Protestant affair yet the body count was incredible.

While you could vote back in the 1800s your safety may or may not have been in peril. Much like the "open" Elections in Iraq. Iraqi had the ability to vote but they also risked their lives often in attempting to do so.

19. 184550 Guest

That's not racist at all. :rolleyes:

20. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

Nope ...race has nothing to do with it.

There are sociological "ingredients" that will yield largely the same results across various groups of people.

I lived in Georgia for a bit. Some of the nicest people I know but the views from a Southerner about many topics can be pretty far from that of the typical west coaster.

21. Bug-Creator macrumors 6502

Bug-Creator

Those numbers really don't tell alot until:

- one compares crime-rates between poor black,brown,white...
    - one compares rates of people living on welfare based on their education
    - one compares their education based on the $$ their parents had

/me guesses the numbers won't align that clear to color anymore

22. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

The very act of quantifying percentages of races in various studies implies an ongoing racist view on the part of everybody to begin with.

Just my opinion .

Go ahead and label me

;)

23. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

Ignorant response is ignorant.

24. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

They stopped doing racial crime statistics here.