Republicans WANT the Sequester, and it is a GOOD thing!

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by PracticalMac, Feb 22, 2013.

1. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

(caps in title for emphasis).

Concerning the nonchalant attitude by Republicans over the sequester, I am starting to believe they want it to happen. Washington Week today (Feb 22) made me positive they want it.

Why?

Late on Jan 1 an after the deadline deal that kept higher tax rate for those making more then 400k meant more revenue, but had practically no spending cuts. (Technically it was a Tax Cut bill).

2 months later is it pretty obvious the only way the desired spending cuts will happen is with expired deadline, again.

SOOooo, let the deadline pass, spending cuts happen. Sure it will hit the Republicans pet defense industry, but with the ending of Afghanistan it can better manage it then the domestic programs that are starting to swell with retirees.

One thing for sure,
    the sequestration is pittance next to the deficit, and nothing compared to the debt. If its impact is enough for the majority of Americans to feel the diminished budget, will that change the attitude toward spending cuts?
    (I am for cuts, but I am concerned about the consequences).

I think sequestration will hurt, but not too bad. The economy will continue and recover.

So, sequestration, Good or Bad?
    Republicans, Want it or Not?

2. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

The politicians can't agree on what to cut but they all want to cut something. The easy way out is to let the sequester happen and then pick up the pieces.

3. PracticalMac thread starter macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

That too.

4. Bug-Creator macrumors 6502

Bug-Creator

They all want to be seen as the ones wanting the cuts, but for sure they don't want to be the one actually doing the cuts (you know cos that will backfire in votes no matter where they cut).

5. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

I'd rather not furlough through no fault of my own.

I do hope that if I need to do it that the congress also gets a pay cut. They are the ones after all that can't write and pass a budget.

6. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

27th amendment:

No law, varying the compensation for the services of the Senators and Representatives, shall take effect, until an election of Representatives shall have intervened.

7. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

I understand that it wouldn't. My hope was that someone proposed it or in some manner proposed solidarity with the whole. Call it idle dreaming if you will..

8. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

I guess a 35% approval rating for the GOP isn't enough, I guess they want to shoot for 25%? Just wait and see what happens in 2014...

9. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

I have a hard time imagining all of the doom and gloom that is being pitched to us with sequestration is actually going to happen. Federal spending has been exploding year over year (has almost doubled in the past ten years) and all of a sudden cutting ~2% of that is going to send us back to the stone age?

Color me unconvinced.

10. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

It's supposedly how that 2% will be cut that will send us back to the stone age. But, that is all we are hearing is that it will without the specifics of why.... What about that 2% cut will doom us all? Our politicians and media are not telling us anything.....

And it's a wonder most people tune out of politics.... It's just BS from either side. And the ones that do tune into politics buys into the BS from the side they are on are spouting......

11. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

I'm not sure either, but keep in mind that many of the states were able to float expenditures and avoid cuts through federal grants and now they'll face additional cuts just in time for the grants to evaporate.

One or the other wouldn't be detrimental, but both at the same time may be disastrous.

12. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

It's because it would be admitting that our country and our economy are based off the idea of infinite growth. If things really do go bad with a small cut it just confirms that we've become so top heavy that the slightest breeze will destroy "our" (99%) way of life.

13. PracticalMac, Feb 23, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2013

PracticalMac thread starter macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

the explosion is a combination of Obama and Bush emergency expenses (TARP and others), a massive increase in the unemployment and food stamp payouts for those out of work, and the Obama "stimulus" which pay for much needed infrastructure payment.

I believe another part is the revelation of the combat expenses in Iraq and Afghanistan the Bush administration did not disclose.

On the flip side, the Great Recessions also meant huge loss of tax revenue too.

It was a double whammy.

----------

Totally agree.

It is easy to see US Gov is spending way to much, need to cut!
    Cuts happen and the economy implodes again?
    People realize even small cuts are big trouble, so how the hell to cut $1.2 Trillion?

Regardless, this across the board cut is perhaps the only way any cut will happen.

14. Bug-Creator macrumors 6502

Bug-Creator

Well how many $ were those subprime mortages that actually did fail prior to 2008 ?

And don't forget, the world is still suffering from that aftermath !!

And no I don't say that cuts can or even should be avoided heck I'm not even sure there is any way out of this mess without going 1930 again.... and that why all big global economies (or better their goverments) are opting to kick the can down the road a few more times :rolleyes:

15. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

The whole economy is based on kicking the can down the road, I don't remember any time when we were making good money that massive cuts were implemented, do you? The economic system is flawed and forward growth is the only way to keep it going.

16. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

17. Bug-Creator macrumors 6502

Bug-Creator

@Zombie Arcon

Give that man a banana !!

(sorry, but cigars aren't considered PC) :p

18. iMikeT macrumors 68020

I say let the sequester happen as it is in fact "98% of what I (John Boehner) wanted". What really should have happen was going over the so-called "fiscal cliff" a couple months back. But this time, the cuts should come all from defense (offense) spending and not from the middle class.

I see the Republicans flip flopping on this issue because they have come to realize that they're not going to get their way this time around and they're only trying to save face. Come on, the entire time they've been against it and when they realize they can't win they're all of a sudden for it? Really now. :rolleyes:

19. Aspasia macrumors 65816

Halfway between the Equator and North Pole
  20. PracticalMac thread starter macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Bob Woodward WP article

Very good read!
    Interesting to note even with cuts the US military is still in better funding position then about 4/5 time in previous years since WW2.

21. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

There is a difference between not essential and not useful.