Request to unlock iphone 4 denied...?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dndandrea, Sep 19, 2012.

1. dndandrea macrumors 6502

Ok i've been asking a lot of questions about this lately and still haven't came to a positive result. My iphone 4 has fulfilled the 2 year contract and is no longer under contract. I wanted to get my iphone 4 unlocked and a new sim card for my iphone 3 since i was selling my iphone 4. The iphone 4 has a no service sim card in there now and no phone number associated with it. The AT&T unlock phone form requires a phone number for the device so i tried 2 forms with both numbers on the contract. Got back 2 emails saying it cannot be unlocked because it doesn't meet requirements OR no valid phone number.

Any suggestions, i've been in the store, on the phone, online chat, and this form and haven't got anywhere yet... The iphone is already sold so the sooner the better!

I'm going to stop by the AT&T store tomorrow late afternoon, but in the meantime any help/advice would be appreciated!

2. richpuer macrumors 6502

I just got the email with the exact same message. Turns out my contract is really up in NOV since i got it nov 2010. I thought I was eligible since they let me upgrade but I called and upgrade is 18 months into contract so maybe double check ur original purchase date

3. ducatiti macrumors 6502a

Same thing here. I'm on the phone with At&t as we speak.

4. dndandrea thread starter macrumors 6502

I talked to another AT&T rep over the phone and told him the situation. He said yea technically they're not supposed to do it over the phone anymore starting since last week. He said he'd help me out though under the circumstances I was in. After about "20 minutes of waiting for him to boot his system up" he asked for the IMEI # then told me he unlocked it. Told me i'll need to restore the iphone and it should show up as unlocked.

Now my problem is apple forces you to UPDATE AND RESTORE not just restore so i'm forced to download this new ios6 that just came out today. Obviously too many people are downloading it and my estimated time says 4 hours but its not moving at all and i would bet it'll be stuck there completely over night.

5. alent1234 macrumors 603

It took me 3 cases to get wife's 4 unlocked. It was switched out at the Genius Bar last year and AT&T assumed it was still on contract because the imei came into use last year

6. ducatiti macrumors 6502a

Same exact scenario as me, purchased Nov 2010.

18 months is for upgrade eligibility and 24 months for the contract.

7. monkeydodo3 macrumors member

If you haven't restored and updated to iOS 6.0 yet, then listen closely. First, make sure all hidden files are shown on Windows. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Show-hidden-files
    After this, if you haven't emptied your Recycle Bin today yet, check it and restore the file in there called 'iPhone3,1_5.1.1_9B208_Restore.' Then, open iTunes and go to the screen that has the overview page of your iPhone. Press the ctrl key and then press restore. This will open a window. Now go to. C:\Users\YOURWINDOWSACCOUNTUSERNAMEGOESHERE\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPhone Software Updates. In the folder, there should be the file you just restored from the Recycle Bin. Now click on it and continue. It should now restore you back to iOS 5.1.1.

8. beinhorn macrumors member

just called and talked to some clown. after first trying to attempt and unlock an iphone 5 which i dont have yet, he got it sorted out and was able to unlock my iphone 4. suggestion to all, tell them its your old phone and they should be able to unlock it no problem.

9. Mercuric Oxide macrumors 6502

Just got denied too. My question is:

Should I get the phone unlocked now before I receive my i5 on fri? If I backup and restore (does that mean restore to factory settings or restore with my data?) will I still be able to use my phone? (never unlocked before)

or

Should I get my i5 on fri, activate that, and then restore the 4 to unlock it (again, does restore mean it will revert to factory settings and erase everything -- this is what I need in this scenario as I'm selling the phone on ebay and would like to send it to the buyer on fri afternoon)

Thanks for any advice.

10. Mercuric Oxide macrumors 6502

11. chris.robison macrumors regular

This is the situation I am in with both my iphone 4 and my wife's. Both have been swapped at Genius Bar and AT&T wants verification from Apple but I have nothing. What'd you do to get it taken care of?

12. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

hold option when you hit restore to select the ios