Requesting a replacement for a weak iPhone 5 battery?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by anonymous guy, Aug 29, 2013.

1. anonymous guy macrumors 6502

For the past couple of months, my battery has degraded significantly. It used to last an entire work day, now I would be lucky to escape a work day with 20% battery so now it stays tethered to a cable.

Even worse, the battery drains significantly after going below 50%. For example, it would hang at 25% and suddenly drop to 12%. I had thought this was a calibration issue, so I attempted a full drain and recharge and issue still persists.

Several months ago, I brought my handset to the Genius Bar detailing my issues. They blamed the issue on rogue battery draining apps and push notifications. They suggested a full restore and I was on my way.

About a month later, same issues persist, I go ahead and attempt another visit with the Genius bar. They run a battery diagnostic, say that the battery has undergone more charging cycles than a typical iPhone 5, but instead suggests I get a battery case. I ask how much it would cost to get a battery replacement and they state that it would be $75.

I know that the Genius bar has gotten more stringent since Plus was introduced, but is this experience typical if you are attempting to replace your phone for battery issues? I may attempt with a different Apple store location, since this one seems very reluctant to do anything.

2. Lucille Carter macrumors 65816

Make an appointment at an Apple store. They will take your phone to the back and test the battery. If it fails THEIR standards they will take action. They simply can not go by the owners standards as there are so many variables.:)

3. anonymous guy thread starter macrumors 6502

Sounds like I had gotten that battery test on the second visit.

The conditions have only gotten worse since, and I guess it would be worth a shot one more time.

4. ValerieDurden macrumors 6502a

My battery does the same, it will go from 50% to 20% within a few minutes doing nothing, calibrating it does nothing but I am not losing my Jailbreak so I will deal with it.

5. Merkie macrumors 68020

If your battery is faulty, they will replace the battery, not your phone.