Require advice and some answers to help me choose the right iMac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Anxo, Oct 15, 2009.

1. Anxo macrumors newbie

Firstly hello everyone!

Recently I have become interested in getting myself a iMac, I have spent a great deal of time researching and checking out the different iMacs and macs in general to find one that would suit me, now I have come down to my final research before buying which is asking everyone is what they think :)

Firstly I plan on using the iMac for programming mainly with Java I also don't often play games but I like to have the option too and when I do play a game I like to be able to turn the settings up. If I do play on any games it is likely to be RPG games like Neverwinter nights 2 or games such as SimCity and the Sims 3, of course I like to keep my options open for the future and if I want to play more graphic heavy games as I plan on keeping my iMac for a very long time.

I currently have been looking at the 2.93ghz iMac as that is around my budget range the problem is however is what graphics card do I get? The GT 120 is cheap but is it really going to play what I want and last me a long time? Then there is the GT 130 this is next up and from what I see this would be a lot better for what I need but of course the question is will it be worth the extra money? Then there is the 4850 which from what I have read is really awesome but then that is basically out of my budget although I'm willing to change if its going to be worth it!

I have also found a lot of rumours about new iMacs or something? Is this something I should wait to see what is happening before I even consider ordering something?

I also couldn't find any decent benchmarks for any of the graphic cards or Macs, so if anyone could point me in the right direction for those I would be happy.

So the main question is, what do I go for? do I take the financial trouble and get myself the 4850 should I instead consider looking at a different iMac altogether? What would a macbook pro offer me at the same price? What are you experiences with all of these cards?

Thank you for reading and I look forward to hopefully getting a reply from you all :)

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Hello and welcome to MacRumors!

There have been so many rumors about new iMacs so I would wait, unless you need it right now. If you need it now, I'd take a look at refurbs (if your country have them) because they are cheaper, individually tested and has everything same as new one. Benchmarks can be found in BareFeats!

3. Anxo thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the quick reply, I will probably end up waiting to see what these updates are just because I wont have the guts to take the risk of buying a iMac and then the prices being reduced or something even better happening to them.

I wouldn't say I need one right now Its more of I'm all excited to get a decent machine again since I have been running on cheese ever since my last computer broke several months ago, so the chances are I will give it around 2 weeks then just end up ordering one and knowing my luck a update will happen the next day.

Another question I have with it being my first mac is how reliable are they? I have grown tired of switching my computer every time one of mine break or become too expensive to repair and I just want to settle down with something for a couple of years that will keep me happy. All my experiences of ordering computers have always been horrible and I usually get them at my door broken, does this happen frequently with Apple or just the rare case?

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I think they are reliable plus Apple has great customer service so if you're under warranty, they will pick it up and fix it. By the way, I would get AppleCare too (adds 2 extra warranty years), but you don't have to buy it immediately, you have a full year to buy it (you can buy it anytime during the 1 year warranty).

I bought my through Apple Online Store and it's flawless. If it's broken when it comes, just call to Apple and they will send you new one when you've sent the defective one (though I've never heard that iMac came as defective).

Don't be afraid, I can easily say switch to Mac was the best thing in my life.

By the way, don't hesitate to add my MSN (kriz_u_93@hotmail.com) or PM me :cool: