Resale value — SSD or Fusion

Discussion in 'iMac' started by sn0man1, Oct 24, 2015.

1. sn0man1 macrumors newbie

I have a weird question. With the impending Mac Pro (wild theory I know) coming next year, whatever iMac I purchase would likely just be a temporary computer for me.

Do you think I would have a better resell value if I specced the $2,299 machine with the 256 SSD or the 2TB fusion drive? They are both no cost options and I can see pros and cons to each.

Fwiw: I likely won't be getting the i7 or M395X options.

2. ohsnaphappy macrumors regular

ohsnaphappy

Someone interested in that level Mac, used, might not understand the value of the ssd. They might just think that 2tb sounds bigger than 256gb. Just a thought.

But I would absolutely get the 256 ssd, personally.

3. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

4. sn0man1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys. That is my thought as well. Standard configuration it is.

5. mlody macrumors 6502a

I would assume that people who do not know much about Macs just walk to an Apple store and buy whatever they are told to buy by an Apple sales people - they do not venture online etc.

Personally, I would not buy any mac with hdd or fusion, unless it was half the price or some kind of crazy deal and even then I would not use it, but pass it onto my kids or family.

6. AppleHater macrumors 6502a

It also depends on when you sell it. Say 5+ years down the road where SSD becomes a norm, any pc with non SSD will be a hard sell. I had the experience when I tried to sell a good CRT monitor after everyone moved onto LCDs.

7. twilexia macrumors 6502

SSD will go down in price in the following years for sure, so your resale value will be nowhere the % of your paid price with fusion. That being said, I still went with the 1TB SSD. I struggled for days thinking about 512 GB SSD vs 3TB Fusion. But then I realized I had money and just went with the 1TB SSD, and I feel pretty great about that choice.

So yeah if you're optimizing for resale value I think the 2 TB Fusion drive will be worth way more than the 256 GB SSD, especially because a lot of people want more space on their desktops.

8. Fancuku macrumors 6502a

Fancuku

Those who know their Macs won't care if it has a large storage spinner or small SSD because most likely they will replace either of them.
    The average Mac user most likely doesn't know the difference between the two but the 2TB space will sound better to them.

9. mlody macrumors 6502a

Replacing an internal storage on a recent iMac is not a trivial task, so most likely no users will even look into such option.