Resale value of MBP - am I going to get hosed?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Skullbussa, Jul 1, 2011.

1. Skullbussa macrumors member

Jul 1, 2011
    I'm interested in buying a new MBP 17" and wanted to know what I might expect to be able to sell it for in one year, provided it is kept in excellent condition. Should I expect to be able to sell it for only half of what I paid?

I'm someone who likes to upgrade yearly. I'm looking at eBay and the prices for used MacBook Pro 17's are all over the place - I see anywhere from $900 to $1200. For a notebook that is originally $2400, that seems like quite a lot of depreciation.
  2. deadwulfe macrumors 6502a

Feb 18, 2010
    Discussion of dollar figures is restricted to the Marketplace section of these forums. With that out of the way...

If you keep all of the original items, box, manuals, micro-fiber cloth, etc. and it's still under a warranty and/or in great condition, you could probably get close to 3/4 of the original cost on an auction site. I wouldn't expect anything more than that, personally.

Just keep in mind that people shop at auction sites, because they're looking for a good deal. 10% off is not a deal, it's just a discount. To help your research, you should "watch" several of those auctions so you can see what the winning bids wind up being.
  3. Skullbussa thread starter macrumors member

Jul 1, 2011
    Sorry, I did not mean to break rules. I think I would be quite happy with retaining 60%+ of the value after one year.
  4. kappaknight macrumors 68000

Mar 5, 2009
    Check the prices at your local Craigslist. If you want to sell, think like an uneducated/last minute buyer and where they might go, not a deal hunter.
  5. RoyalFlushAK(s) macrumors member

Jun 15, 2011
    lol, lol..,
    Don't break the rules here man=====, they may take your 17" MBP away from you ..., or put your serial number on the black list and you'll not be able to get updates and enter the AppStore

6. Vudoo macrumors 6502a

Sep 30, 2008
    Dallas Metroplex
    It depends on what your definition of getting hosed is. I'm trying to sell my 4 month old MBP and I have to price it below Apple's refurbish price which is about $400 less than MSRP.
  7. 2hvy4grvty macrumors 6502

Jun 17, 2011
    Well, you're not getting your tax $ back. So from retail of $2400, I'd say you're looking at about $1500, MAYBE $1600, for it in a year.
  8. lindstedt56 macrumors regular

Jun 19, 2011
    The 17 inch mbp 2010 sell for 1500+ still on ebay normally.
  9. islanders macrumors 6502

Jul 21, 2006
    Charleston, SC
  10. djrobsd macrumors 6502a

May 2, 2008
    Umm.. no....

Must have.. Sandy Bridge...

But seriously, my PC loving friends were shocked when they heard I got 50% of retail for my 18 month old Macbook Pro on Craigslist.... Macs do hold their value quite well, but never expect to get more then 50-60% of your original purchase price unless you sell while it's still the CURRENT model, it's technology.. Which evolves quickly... Just like cars. How many car owners get 50% of MSRP when they trade their car in for a newer model? Not too many.