Resale value of MBP with Japanese keyboard?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by pepto, May 7, 2010.

1. pepto macrumors member

Just about to buy a C2D unibody MBP with a huge discount and I am curious as to how the resale value will be effected by the Japanese keyboard when I am back in the UK.

Would the Japanese keyboard make it difficult to sell in the UK?
    If so, what are the options for changing the keyboard to a US or UK one?
    Can this be done at the apple store?

2. Jazojas12 macrumors regular

I'm sure unless someone needs or doesn't mind having the Japanese keyboard..it will be harder to sell. Apple will probably swap it out but charge more than it's worth. I believe the Japanese keyboard has an extra key also so I don't know if that changes anything. You're best bet is put it out there for a fair price and hope someone wants it. As far as value, I sold my 9 month old 2009 2.26 13" MBP with 4GB of RAM for $825, MSRP was $1200.

3. pepto thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, the Japanese keyboard does have a few extra keys but I don't think it will be too much of a hassle to change it. I am curious if anyone here has actually done it themselves or got it done at the apple store.

4. iketeru macrumors member

AFAIK, the keyboard layout is different, so just replacing it with a UK keyboard isn't going to be so easy. they'll be cut for different layouts in the unibody.

5. pepto thread starter macrumors member

From what I understand, each unibody keyboard has a different layout and so you have to change the entire top of the case.
    I have seen the parts on eBay for as little as $150 but I wonder if changing over yourself would void the warranty.

6. coolbreeze macrumors 68000

coolbreeze

Meh, no big deal. Anyone who knows how to type shouldn't care what's printed on the keys. I use a German Cherry KB that has some strange arrangements on it. No biggie as I never look at the KB.

Also, I own a Filco blank keyboard w/Cherry Brown switches. Fun.

Attached Files:

7. dreamsandart macrumors member

I've had an English/Japanese keyboard on my last couple Macbooks because my wife is Japanese (I don't use the feature myself). It really doesn't make any difference except that the layout is more like a PC keyboard with a few changes from the MAC, and of course the multiple symbols on each key which I don't really notice anymore.

As for re-sale... you may find someone that actually wants the English/Japanese, and for those that don't its not any more [or less] confusing. If you did want to change, its just a matter of switching out but a new English keyboard would cost.

8. pepto thread starter macrumors member

I ended up getting the previous generation 2.66ghz 15 inch mbp for 99,000 yen so I'm pretty happy. I'm copying over my accounts now and should have it up and running by tomorrow morning...nice!

I will be returning to the UK with my Japanese girlfriend and I am quite optimistic that I will be able to find a buyer with the Japanese keyboard withing the Japanese community in London...unless I fall in love with the notebook and decide to keep it :D