Reseller vs. Apple Store CTO for Mac Pro: Installing Airport Extreme card later...

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Icaras, Nov 1, 2009.

1. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

Ok, is it really worth it to buy a new Mac Pro in the Apple store vs getting it at a reseller such as Amazon? I'd like to save as much as possible, so no tax and shipping saves me over $200 on the low end Mac Pro alone.

My concern is getting the Airport extreme wifi card, but I know its not available in the Apple store and from what I understand, the only way to get it is either by bringing in the Mac Pro to the Apple store to buy the airport extreme card and have it installed by Apple, or by buying it from somewhere like ebay and doing a DIY.

I do not prefer the latter option if it goes against warranty, even though it may be easy. But does anyone know how much it would cost to have Apple install it, and if its same day installation?

All in all, is it worth it to go through Apple with the Mac Pro, and pay the $200+ in additional tax? Actually, the airport extreme card is the ONLY CTO option that I want to add to the machine because everything else I'll add or upgrade later. So I can't help but feel like thats just so much money just to get the card.

Of course, I'm planning all this for the 2010 Mac Pro, which is what I'm saving up for, but I'd like to get someone's opinion on this.

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Install is a piece of cake. I bought my Mac Pro from B&H and they also sold me the wireless card for $50.

Here's the link on their website:
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/633745-REG/Apple_MA688Z_B_AirPort_Extreme_Card_for.html

Mine didn't come with instructions only a piece of paper said it should installed an authorized technician, but if you have any issues installing if you call Apple Support they will give you directions, so obviously it doesn't void any warranties. It's really just put it in the slot, screw it in and attached the 2 antennas. I had to call Apple to make sure I put the antennas on since there are 3 antennas but only connectors.

And you can take your computer to the Apple Store and have them install it. It's free to have them install it and it costs the same. Obviously you'd need to buy it directly from Apple, so call the store before taking your machine in.

3. Icaras thread starter macrumors 603

Icaras

Thanks for the helpful and informative reply. Thats a relief to hear that its easy to install, but I think this is the first time I've heard that Apple will walk you through the installation over the phone, but if so, that's really good to know.

Free installation by Apple also sounds good too, but when you say you have to buy it from Apple, do you mean the Mac Pro, the airport card, or both? I read a 1 star review on Amazon's website from an angry customer who said Apple couldn't install it for him since he purchased his machine outside from Apple, but also he purchased the card elsewhere as well.

4. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

To install the part for free, you must purchase it from Apple either online or in-store. It does not matter where the Mac Pro came from, as it ultimately came from Apple. They just don't want you buying third party cards off eBay and having them install for free.

I bought a genuine Apple pci-e card for mine on eBay for $12 and installed myself. Took less than 10 minutes and there are multiple "how-to" blog entries I found explaining exactly what to do. I also just borrowed one of the screws from my BT chip to secure the airport card.

When I got the quote from a technician in-store it was going to be around $70 or $80 I think, including parts & labor.

Also, voiding the warranty on a Mac Pro is much more difficult than the portables. A significant number of parts are considered "user-serviceable" in the tower, as opposed to only 2 in their portables.