Reselling iPhone 6 Pre-Orders

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Anton-, Sep 7, 2014.

1. Anton- macrumors newbie

I was thinking of selling a few iPhone 6's on eBay if Apple does pre-orders, then as soon as pre-orders go live ship the phone directly to the buyer's house so it will arrive on launch day. I'd ideally want to sell the phones for over a thousand so I can make some profit after eBay fees. Would this be feasible or am I going to run into some problems doing this? Thanks guys

2. oldwren macrumors 6502

oldwren

You probably won't be able to buy them unlocked right away.

Also, don't be a jerk. Let the rest of us pre-order a phone, too.

3. SMIDG3T Suspended

SMIDG3T

If you're in the UK (not sure about the U.S.A), you can buy an iPhone 6 SIM-free but it'll probably be limited to 2 per customer so just use another Apple ID or get someone else to buy them.

4. jlake02 macrumors 68020

jlake02

Pretty sure the shipping address has to match the credit card address.

:apple:

5. juanrp macrumors 6502a

juanrp

The SIM-free version wasn't available until November 22 last year.
    You can get the t-mobile version and use it with any GSM carrier. :D

6. cebseb macrumors regular

I honestly think it's OK to preorder in bulk (if it lets you). What I have issue with are the resellers that stand in line and purchase several at a time.

7. Anton- thread starter macrumors newbie

It's not like I'm planning on buying a thousand of these things, just want to sell a few.

Hmm, darn. Hopefully that isn't the case, I'll look into it. Thanks for bringing that up!

8. SMIDG3T Suspended

SMIDG3T

In the U.S.A? Oh right. In the UK you can grab one on release day which is exactly what I'll be doing this year!

9. jsmith189 macrumors 65816

jsmith189

Exactly. It may "only be a few" for one person to do it, but not only one person is going to take advantage like that.

10. Dave245 macrumors 601

Me too, that's the one good thing about ordering in the UK we can buy one unlocked from day one. I'm still wondering how much the 4.7" and 5.5" (if it exists) will cost over here.

11. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

You cannot change your order without getting put in the back of the line and changing the shipping address, may be a red flag for retailers with regard to fraud, i.e., not the same address as what's on the credit card. Changing an existing order may cause an issue.

tl;dr. I don't think its feasible to sell a pre-order, but rather you'll need to sell the phone itself, i.e., after you gain possession of it.

12. Steve121178 macrumors 68040

Steve121178

They'll be plenty of stock to go around, so profiteers like you hopefully won't make a cent.

13. SMIDG3T Suspended

SMIDG3T

Yeah, it will be interesting. I'm afraid I have a feeling it'll be at least £50 more for each model, maybe even £100. Anyway. Not long too wait now!

14. 617aircav Suspended

There will always be some scarcity. Last year you could not find a gold iPhone for months.

15. stu.h macrumors 65816

stu.h

16. Brian Y macrumors 68040

I for one hope you don't make a dime.

The level of scalping that goes on today is ridiculous. If you look at the iPhone queues on launch day, 95% of people there will be scalpers.

17. markyr17 macrumors 65816

markyr17

18. nostresshere macrumors 68030

I always seem to get able to get a phone without and problem. Release day for 5S. First week for one Iphone5, decided two weeks later for second one in family, took a couple days via online.

I really do not get why people would pay somebody more than the purchase price "blindly". It just make no sense to me. I know it happens, but it seems really stupid.

19. jkim3691 macrumors 6502a

I pre-ordered my iPhone 5 and had it shipped to my parents' store.

20. Powrie macrumors 6502

Its not going to work.

Because Pre Orders arrive the day of the Release.

That means the day the phones are at the store is the same day that you would get the pre ordered phone.

So they could just walk into any store and get one, or pre order themselves.

You cant get it to them faster by pre ordering and then shipping it.

That slower then just pre ordering it yourself or walking in and getting it.

Nobody is going to pay more to have to wait for you to ship it to them.

Find another scam pal.

21. BlueGoldAce macrumors 68000

I hope you don't make a dime. Honestly, I kind of hope you don't manage to get them in time. It's ridiculous... People trying to take advantage of the popularity of this phone. It's even more ridiculous that people will actually buy them.

Good luck making a profit. Unless the demand far out weights the availability, you I'll have trouble overcoming ebay/PayPal ten percent fee of the top of the sale. Hope it isn't worth you time.

Honestly, good for you, but be smart enough not to post it on an apple loving forum that are eager to get a hold of the phone. They will only hate you more if the stock runs out.

22. Powrie macrumors 6502

If you cant get in on a Pre Order just order one the day of release and it will come at the same speed as some guy trying to make profit on ebay.

23. Lamarak macrumors 6502

I don't get these people that pay over retail just have a phone a few days or even weeks earlier. Especially since the 5s is still a powerful phone and will be able to prolly most anything the new phones can do except larger screen

24. Aniseedvan macrumors 65816

Crumbs I hadn't thought about extra cost because of the extra screen... I'd go with £599 as well.

Interestingly looking at mazuma, my unlocked 5 is worth about £40 more than a locked one. I got it from the apple store was because over two years it's marginally cheaper than going for a carrier locked one...

25. bliggs macrumors regular

bliggs

You are correct sir! I can understand why they do this but it always makes me a bit nervous when Fed-Ex leaves my new shiny iPhone on the front porch waiting for me to get home. It's definitely going to be a leave work early day! ;)