reselling price of mbp 13" after arrandale update

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by -jake-, Mar 17, 2010.

1. -jake- macrumors newbie

I've heard macs retain much of their value even after several months of use. I'm desperate to get off of this old Dell, and I'm eying a cheap 13", but I don't want to give up on a 15" with Arrandale.

Does anyone have experience selling a recently outdated model after a refresh? Is it reasonable to think I might get 1000k+ for a 13" after Apple updates the product line? Does it make sense to get a higher-end 13" to increase its long-term resell value? (250g 2.53 4gRAM or something like that).

thanks for any advice.

2. Aboo macrumors 6502a

I don't think 1000+ is reasonable. Remember that when the new notebooks come out, the current stock of notebooks will get moved into Apple's clearance/refurbished section. Currently, the price of the low end aluminium Macbook Pro 13" is 999 in the refurbished store with a 1 yr warranty. Possibly after the updates, I would expect an extra 100 bucks off. So you will be selling your system in a time when the market price for these systems is already low.

Note that I have only considered Apple in the above statement. Apple Authorized Resellers will also have their specials for the old stock of notebooks in order to get rid of them.

So if you end up buying the 13" now, I would probably expect in the range of 750-800 range after shipping, fees, etc. when you sell your system in a couple of weeks.

Also, in terms of resale value, I think getting the low end machine would be your best bet since the price drop on the lower machines won't be as high as the price drops on the higher-end machines.

3. fibrizo macrumors 6502

fibrizo

I bought a 2.4ghz unibody macbook 13inch when it was out. I paid 1450 after educational discounts and such. I sold it about 2 months after the new 13inch macbook pro came out with a better screen. I ended up with 1k. but I had to pay ebay, paypal credit and shipping fees =~ 900USD.