Resending my 2.0 Ghz 15'' to get a 2.2 ghz?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MathiasLa, Oct 24, 2011.

  1. MathiasLa macrumors member

    Oct 24, 2011
    Hello everyone. I just bought my Macbook pro 15'' 2.0 ghz quadcore a week ago. I did not get it yet, but it has been shipped.

    I can still resend it, get my money back and buy a new 2.2 ghz one. Itll take like a month or so, and I really need a new computer now since my old pc is dying.

    I edit videos and do graphics. Does 0.2 ghz @ quadcore really make that much a difference?
  2. AnimaLeo macrumors 6502

    Sep 2, 2009
  3. dlimes13 macrumors 6502a


    May 3, 2011
    Perrysburg, OH
    I'd get it exchanged for the upgraded graphics card alone. Plus you get the extra .2 GHz. Get the most bang for your buck.
  4. badtzwang macrumors regular

    Sep 1, 2009
    The 0.2 ghz won't make too big of a difference ... but the 6750M over the 6490M will make a HUGE difference.
  5. teerexx52 macrumors 68000


    May 1, 2005
    Florida West Coast
  6. MathiasLa thread starter macrumors member

    Oct 24, 2011
    Why would that make a big difference? In what terms?
  7. Adamantoise macrumors 6502a

    Aug 1, 2011
    If you play 3D games, or render 3D objects.

    But since you don't know what a GPU does, chances are you don't need a powerful one.
  8. MathiasLa thread starter macrumors member

    Oct 24, 2011
    I will happen to render 3D objects sometimes but not that much at all. I dont play games that much. A bit portal haha.

    Would you get the newer one?
  9. hawk1410 macrumors 6502

    Jul 5, 2011
    Go for the newer one if you like gaming, even if a little bit. The 6750m is a very significant upgrade over the 6490m
  10. MathiasLa thread starter macrumors member

    Oct 24, 2011
    Okay, thing is - I nearly dont game at all. Is the new graphic card better for anything else than gaming?
  11. ///KM macrumors member

    Sep 3, 2009
    Biggest reason to return is, as others have said, the 6750M graphics.

    Another reason is the CPU bump, and not just for the 0.2ghz increase. The i7 2720QM in the 2.2 also allows for 1600MHz RAM to be used, instead of the 1333MHz max in the 2.0 model (2630QM).
  12. MathiasLa thread starter macrumors member

    Oct 24, 2011
    **** me, I already bought 1333MHz ram. Haha. I'll have to be more patient next time i buy stuff.
  13. TheJing macrumors 6502a


    Jun 13, 2011
    Somewhere in Europe
    Won't notice a difference.
  14. ml.sail1 macrumors regular

    Aug 23, 2010
    Though 1333Mhz is the officially listed here, I am running 8GB @ 1600MHz (at least it is reported to be) on a 2.0GHz base-model 15" MBP
  15. MathiasLa thread starter macrumors member

    Oct 24, 2011
    Come on peeps, help me out here :p haha! What would you do?
  16. thefizzle657 macrumors regular

    Oct 21, 2011
    I think that the upgraded video card alone makes it worth it to send it back and get the newer one and the 200MHz processor upgrade wouldn't hurt. And since you wouldn't be paying any extra, my question is why not do it?
  17. shardey macrumors 6502a


    Jan 28, 2010
    Get the upgraded one, why not?
  18. wicked45 macrumors newbie

    Oct 2, 2011
  19. MathiasLa thread starter macrumors member

    Oct 24, 2011
    Because the pc om working/doing school stuff on right now is DYING. Like literally dying. Ill think about it haha.
  20. Eternal 28 macrumors 6502

    Apr 22, 2008
    Get the new one, you will be kicking yourself down the road later if you don't.
  21. rkmac macrumors 6502


    Jun 22, 2009
    JAFA, New Zealand
    Wait, what? Why are people saying to just keep it?
    Obviously you should get the new one.
  22. HCx macrumors newbie

    Sep 10, 2011
    because some people can't stand to see others have something better than they have.

    anyway, i just got my base 15" MBP on friday because i was reasonably sure the spec bumps would be CPU only. but the jump from the 6490M to the 6750, is more than i was counting on. needless to say i'll be sending mine back

    makes zero sense for those within the return window to not pursue the updated model. especially for those of us with the baseline 15" that do any gaming at all.
  23. JronMasteR macrumors 6502


    May 4, 2011
    Get the new one. You'll get a significantly better hardware for the same price.
  24. IngerMan macrumors 6502a


    Feb 21, 2011
    If you do not get the new one, I am sure you will never stop thinking that you should of. The graphics is well worth it to exchange.
  25. velkr macrumors newbie

    Aug 26, 2011
    ^ Get the most value for your money. Exchange it.

Share This Page